Lust Lowering Link Install - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

1Likes
  • 1 Post By crabfatslim

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 03-20-2016, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Lust Lowering Link Install

I have a 2014 vstrom 1000 new. I just got it a week ago. I bought the Lust Racing 1.2" lowering links. I know this may seem like BS but I cannot for the life of me loosen the link bolt nuts. As least the lowest one with the 17mm nut as it is the 1st one I have tried. I have tried heat and a 18" breaker bar. I will add that I am trying with the wheel on. The next step is to remove the wheel and hammer a wrench to try and break it loose. I tried an electric impact from the left, bolt, side with no luck before trying the nut side as that side has the exhaust head pipe somewhat in the way. The instructions do not mention anything special and they do not say you should remove the wheel. Bike is new and no corrosion, etc. I tried wd40, etc. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-20-2016, 11:33 PM
Stromthusiast!

Your sure you are turning it counter clockwise?

Another idea is to have someone take the weight off by lifting the rear frame while you try again.

Last edited by Bugzy; 03-20-2016 at 11:37 PM.
post #3 of 9 Old 03-20-2016, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Thanks. Yes counter clockwise. I tried jacking the bike up to take the wheel a few inches off of the ground.

post #4 of 9 Old 03-20-2016, 11:54 PM
Stromthusiast!

Well it can't be harder to get off than the front sprocket bolt which is held on with red loctite. For that one I put the socket on it with the breaker bar facing forward, get on the bike and stand on the bar and it cracks off easily. I imagine the bolt you are dealing with is a lot smaller though, so there is a danger it will just break off instead of undoing, but you could try that.
post #5 of 9 Old 03-21-2016, 12:49 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabfatslim View Post
...The next step is to remove the wheel and hammer a wrench to try and break it loose.....
I ended up taking my rear wheel off so as to get a true 90 degree turn on them. And I used a pretty long pipe on the wrench. Also, the force needed was enough to have a friend hold the bike. Go for it !

Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT ['02 BMW K1200rs SOLD Aug '17]
post #6 of 9 Old 03-21-2016, 11:02 AM
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Interesting.

Mine came on and off without issue. We have instructions for our linkage plates, but based on your experience I might need to beef up the instructions to make sure no one runs into that problem.

I assume you are correct in that getting the wrench on the bolt at the proper angle was the problem. The key to doing that, without removing the wheel, is to use a combination of sockets and box end wrenches. You have to hold the nut with a wrench and turn the bolt with a socket and breaker arm on some of the bolts. Also the order in which you take off and replace the bolts is important.

So for anyone having the same problem and finding this thread by search, here are the instructions - Gen 2 DL1000 Raising & Lowering Plates - AdventureTech, LLC.
post #7 of 9 Old 03-21-2016, 03:01 PM
Stromthusiast!

I couldn't get my rear link nuts loosened either with the wheel in, boy where they tight even once I took the wheel out. Maybe suzuki have a sumo wrestler that works on the chassis assembly line!
post #8 of 9 Old 03-21-2016, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Thanks for the answers. I really appreciate it.
post #9 of 9 Old 03-24-2016, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

got them off and links installed. had to remove rear wheel and use long wrench. once installed makes bike perfect for me. almost flat footed. bike looks better to me.
Bugzy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode