Power Outlet Problem - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bugzy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 03-20-2016, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Power Outlet Problem

I have two 2014 Vee2 bikes. The power outlet on the dash seems to have a short on both bikes. I have used three different usb plugs and one Garmin GPS specific plug to power my GPS and all get intermittent power while I am riding. I have had the same experience with two different GPS units on the older bike. One of the bikes only has 1,500 miles on it. The other one has 11,000 miles on it but has had this problem for at least 2 years.

My son and I just got back from an 850 mile trip where he rode one of the bikes and I rode the other. He also tried to power his smart phone out of the power outlet with his smart phone specific plug and had the same problem. I have used the same GPS units and plugs in the car and have never had them even blink with power issues. I'm pretty sure it is the outlet that came on the bikes.

Has anyone dealt with this problem and found a fix? I hope I don't have to tear the dash apart to solve the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-20-2016, 08:55 PM
Stromthusiast!

If you don't want to tape the plug in, replace it with a USB plug and that should resolve it. The angle of the inserted plug is not enough to keep it from vibrating out after a while.
We2V2 likes this.
post #3 of 9 Old 03-20-2016, 09:33 PM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
Shorts blow fuses. You have an intermittent open circuit, the opposite of a short.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informa...-you-have.html

post #4 of 9 Old 03-20-2016, 10:27 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

My V2 had the same problem with the power outlet loosing contact resulting in my gps shutting down. I switched to a powerlet outlet along with the matching plug to my gps that hasn't worked loose to this point. Removing the dash wasn't difficult but I did have to bush the hole in the dash down to the smaller powerlet product.
post #5 of 9 Old 03-21-2016, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Greywolf is certainly right, a short would blow a fuse, so that can't be the problem. I guess I was suspicious of the wiring to the socket coming loose, resulting in intermittent losses of power. I'm not sure I want to replace the socket if I can do something to ensure that the plug I put in keeps proper contact and and doesn't keep dropping power. What is weird is that I can hold the plug in the socket and the power still seems to come and go. That makes me worry that there is a loose connection. I didn't yet try taping the plug into the outlet socket, yet. I tried taping the connection into the GPS but that did nothing to help.

It sounds like a loose connection of the wiring to the outlet socket hasn't been the problem others have had but rather a loose fit of a plug in the outlet socket resulting in intermittent power.

I'll experiment with some things to keep the plug firmly in the socket and see if that resolves the issue. If not, I'll look into replacing it with a Powerlet socket or a USB plug. Thanks for the input.
post #6 of 9 Old 03-21-2016, 01:55 AM
Stromthusiast!

I'm with the others and think it is more likely plug creep as the wires in the power socket are held in place with epoxy resin.

The dash on the V2 is very easy to remove if you wish to have a look.

2 button head bolts and 2 plastic push pins to remove and you are in.

Behind the centre of the speedometer is a plastic pin that is pushed into a rubber grommet, that is what is doing most of the work to hold things together, a gentle tug on the speedo and the dash is free, now unplug the wires to the speedo and the wires to the power socket and you are good to go.

Some of the 19 rides in my shed
2014 V2, Snoopy
2009 Wee, Pumbaa the pig
WR450F, The Blue Postie Bike
YZ250N smoker with rego, Stinky.
Yamaha MT09 (FZ09), The Scud missile.
Club Lead not Club Med.
He with the most toys wins.
Out of my depth in a puddle.
Live life on the edge you will see more that way.
Ridding a motorcycle keeps things in balance.
At the end of each trail and at the end of each day history is made.
post #7 of 9 Old 03-21-2016, 06:32 AM
$tromtrooper

Garage
the fuse blew on ours first time we used it.
The fuse for the plug on the dash is only a 3amp we changed ours to a 5amp no more issues maybe you could try doing the same.

Cheers GotaV2

2014 DL1000AL4-Glass Glacier White
OEM centre stand,chain guard,decals,SW-Motech,crashbars,pannier racks,brake,exhaust,master cylinder guards, footbase,ROX risers,Givi Hugger, Airflow, panniers,top box,PivotPgs,OmniC,Rad Guard,mirror extenders,3 Guardian Bells, Oxford HG,Tutoro, Zumo 590, PC8,Crees, G2,Grip puppies,helmet hook,SitnFly,2xBC tank bag & ring,Ventura HP,FP lowering kit,SPOT,Backoff,2 Tool Tubes,Sena 10s,Contour,Hwy pegs, 2 Aux plugs,MJM seat,levers,Barrett Exhaust,Stebal Horn,Personalised Rim tape,PP & Holder, Barkbusters & Led,smiley face

2012 DL650AL2-Pearl Mirage White "Sparkles" 2011-2014
post #8 of 9 Old 03-21-2016, 07:50 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
My GPS plug would vibrate out as well. I cut a ziptie to about 2 1/2 inches long and trimmed off about half of the tapered end of a ziptie. This made it easy to insert them both into the receptacle. I taped it to the end of the GPS plug so I wouldn't loose it when I removed the GPS. This is only a temporary fix as I will be changing over to a USB port soon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 486.jpg (83.9 KB, 14 views)

Ride it like you're invisible - Because you are.

Bikes past and present:

1967 Honda 305 Superhawk - Sold
1976 Honda 750 Superhawk - Sold
1978 Velorex sidecar added
1978 BMW R90 (with the sidecar) - Sold
2003 Kawasaki 1600 Vulcan - Crashed
1986 Honda 700s Nighthawk - Sold
2005 Suzuki S50 - Sold
2012 Victory Cross Roads - Keeper
2014 Suzuki DL1000A - Keeper

Last edited by Zig-Zag; 03-22-2016 at 07:10 AM. Reason: Photo added
post #9 of 9 Old 03-22-2016, 01:12 AM
Stromthusiast!

The purpose of a fuse or circuit breaker is to protect the wiring from getting too hot and maybe setting something on fire.

Maybe the 5 amp fuse for the power outlet is OK, and maybe something else will fail...expensively...maybe dramatically...before that fuse blows in the case of an overload. I'm keeping my 3 amp fuse.

"Older people who are reasonable, good-tempered, and gracious will bear aging well. Those who are mean-spirited and irritable will be unhappy at every period of their lives.

"Let each of use properly whatever strengths he has and strive to use them well. If he does this, he will never find himself lacking."

Marcus Tullius Cicero
44 B.C.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode