Watch that ABS ring - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 03-17-2016, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Watch that ABS ring

My ABS has been coming on after riding about 10 blocks. I thought I had it fixed with a cleaning, but nope, it came on again next ride.

While bike was in for recall I asked them to fix it for me, first thing they did was to clean the silver ring out as it had some built up dirt, but after riding the bike home the light came on again, so I took it back this morning.

They had a closer look at the silver ABS ring on the rear wheel and found one spot where the metal was a tiny bit bent, just a notch, straightened it and issue resolved.

So be very careful when changing your own tires and if your ABS light comes on, you might want to inspect front and back rings for any dents. The metal is very thin and delicate. I wonder if a safety cover would help protect that from rocks, or would that just make it worse?
pvwheeler, Toto, York and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Bugzy; 03-18-2016 at 01:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-18-2016, 03:47 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
This was a problem when I picked my bike up when it was new. They took it for a test drive and the ABS light kept coming on and the brakes would fluctuate. They almost tore the bike apart until we (I had stopped in to see how they were doing) noticed the front ABS ring was bent. Swapped the whole front wheel with another bike just be sure and it was fine. The moral here is check your ABS rings first if your ABS system acts up before you panic like BugMagnet said.
IDRIDR likes this.

'14 Vee2
post #3 of 15 Old 03-18-2016, 11:22 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowhead View Post
The moral here is check your ABS rings first if your ABS system acts up before you panic like BugMagnet said.
When you or your mechanic are removing and especially reinstalling a wheel, for tire changing or other reason, it's a good idea to remove the sensors (F and R). When reinstalling the rear wheel the first time I had it off, I noticed interference, which was the sensor and the ABS ring making contact as I jiggled and fiddled. A little more klutzy and I'd have broken or bent something.
Bugzy and sbeadg like this.

Marc, rider of a black 2009 V-Strom 650A ABS

"To the Companion who knows how to go light and fare hard, who is friendly with the rain, and finds no road too long." William Blake in "Brown Waters and other Sketches", Malbaie, May, 1915.

post #4 of 15 Old 03-30-2016, 09:18 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

I hope this is the answer I'm looking for...I changed my front tire today and now my front brake needs to be 'pumped up' every time I stop...
I'll check the front ring tomorrow.
Thanks!

"Tombstone"
S-10
My Alaskan Adventure
http://2mbstonestravels.blogspot.com/2015/04/alaska-or-bust.html
post #5 of 15 Old 03-30-2016, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mstone View Post
I hope this is the answer I'm looking for...I changed my front tire today and now my front brake needs to be 'pumped up' every time I stop...
I'll check the front ring tomorrow.
Thanks!
That sounds more like a leak in your brake line. Is there any fluid leaking? Hard to imagine how that could happen from a tire swap. You may need to bleed it to get any air out of the lines.

Maybe you got a bit of grease or WD-40 on the disk? That would burn off pretty quick, but initially the brake feels like it is not grabbing. Is the lever loose when you squeeze it?
post #6 of 15 Old 03-30-2016, 10:00 PM
Stromthusiast!

Just keep pumping the lever whilst not riding and (normally) it would be right after a few pumps. This happens when the caliper pistons are moved in or out when wheel changing. I usually find one of the pads might get a bit dislodged so I have to force the caliper apart a bit,thereby moving the pistons and affecting the fluid in the mastercylinder.
Bleeding should not be necessary unless you undid something you shouldnt have- or forced back the pistons so much that something in the mastercylinder has been affected. I have not seen this happen before though.
If a few good pumps doesn't restore lever feel then- as Bugmagnet says, you will have to bleed the brakes and go from there.

Paul and Dixie and our V2
DL1000A 2015. SW-Motec crash bars and skid plate,Givi Airflo screen,Givi rear Hugger,Factory low seat,Barkbusters with Storm guards,Factory Tank Protector, Factory centre stand,RadGuard Radiator Guard,home made top box adaptor plate with poverty top box,Factory hard panniers,Zumo390LM,TKC70's,windshield lowered 50mm with custom mounting plates,motopressor tyre inflator,Virgins breath in the tyres,Barrett exhaust,AWESOME rider and pillion.
post #7 of 15 Old 03-30-2016, 10:35 PM
Stromthusiast!

Any pics of these "delicate rings" of which we speak? thanks
post #8 of 15 Old 03-30-2016, 11:29 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pats View Post
Any pics of these "delicate rings" of which we speak? thanks
Go look at your front wheel and see where the abs sensor is, the ring will be very obvious.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #9 of 15 Old 03-30-2016, 11:45 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugMagnet View Post
That sounds more like a leak in your brake line. Is there any fluid leaking? Hard to imagine how that could happen from a tire swap. You may need to bleed it to get any air out of the lines.

Maybe you got a bit of grease or WD-40 on the disk? That would burn off pretty quick, but initially the brake feels like it is not grabbing. Is the lever loose when you squeeze it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by We2V2 View Post
Just keep pumping the lever whilst not riding and (normally) it would be right after a few pumps. This happens when the caliper pistons are moved in or out when wheel changing. I usually find one of the pads might get a bit dislodged so I have to force the caliper apart a bit,thereby moving the pistons and affecting the fluid in the mastercylinder.
Bleeding should not be necessary unless you undid something you shouldnt have- or forced back the pistons so much that something in the mastercylinder has been affected. I have not seen this happen before though.
If a few good pumps doesn't restore lever feel then- as Bugmagnet says, you will have to bleed the brakes and go from there.
Agree with both, I've never had this problem before. I went for a few miles ride to see if it would straiten out but no...still had to pump the lever at each stop.

I didn't force the pads any farther apart than needed, no leaks noted, bike only has 24K on it.....I dunno...I'll look at it again tomorrow.

"Tombstone"
S-10
My Alaskan Adventure
http://2mbstonestravels.blogspot.com/2015/04/alaska-or-bust.html
post #10 of 15 Old 03-31-2016, 01:56 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Here is a thought, the front wheel can be installed either way around right? meaning it would be possible to flip the wheel so the brake rotors are opposite.

If that happened the brake pads would need to readjust to the different rotors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode