First ride impressions - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 03-13-2016, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

First ride impressions

Hi folks, brought the new '14 home yesterday.

Having never riden one before (local dealer does not offer test rides, nearest other dealer is 3hrs away), but having put 65k Kms on a '09 Wee I had the following observations.

Motor seemed rough/vibratey when accelerating compared to the Wee, does this smooth out once the motor is broken in?

Herky jerky fueling at the lower rpms in 1st and 2nd gears, the feeling was not smooth like the Wee. I understand some folks are using a throttle tamer and ECU modes to address that, I'll tighten up the throttle slack and see if that helps. I also ordered the 16t front sprocket given the positive reviews.

Nice and narrow between the knees when standing up on the pegs and I feel like I'm sitting on the bike instead of in it like the Wee. Also is very responsive to bar inputs, more so than the Wee (feels more flickable).

Time to mount the farkles!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-14-2016, 12:15 AM
$tromtrooper

Garage
I've got a '14 Vee and can't relate to the rough/vibration during acceleration. Might want to get that checked out.
Regarding the snatchy throttle at low speeds, I do experience that, but it is about the same as my '04 Wee so I am used to it.
Enjoy the new bike!

Vaseface
Northern California
14 DL1000
post #3 of 15 Old 03-14-2016, 04:25 AM
Stromthusiast!

Fueling problem on low rpm could be solved not with ECU mods, but with ECU swap. ECU swap is on the move in Europe now. Swaps are to new J02 ECU. First Vee2 models (mine included) came out of the factory with J00 ECU. Before ECU swaps started here in Europe, I solved the problem by installing X-TRE.
There is one intermediate model of ECU, J01, that has a problem on many bikes , of sudden power loss on 2nd and 3rd gear. J02 ECU is final.

2017 DL1000 White
2014 DL1000 Red (sold)
2012 DL650 White (sold)

post #4 of 15 Old 03-14-2016, 04:33 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosnjo View Post
Fueling problem on low rpm could be solved not with ECU mods, but with ECU swap. ECU swap is on the move in Europe now. Swaps are to new J02 ECU. First Vee2 models (mine included) came out of the factory with J00 ECU. Before ECU swaps started here in Europe, I solved the problem by installing X-TRE.
There is one intermediate model of ECU, J01, that has a problem on many bikes , of sudden power loss on 2nd and 3rd gear. J02 ECU is final.
Is there any word that ECU swaps are a possibility in the US? I've got a 2014 but not sure which ECU I have. I've experienced the 2-3 stall and would happily move to a newer ECU.
post #5 of 15 Old 03-14-2016, 11:35 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scharfg View Post
Hi folks, brought the new '14 home yesterday.

Having never riden one before (local dealer does not offer test rides, nearest other dealer is 3hrs away), but having put 65k Kms on a '09 Wee I had the following observations.

Motor seemed rough/vibratey when accelerating compared to the Wee, does this smooth out once the motor is broken in?

Herky jerky fueling at the lower rpms in 1st and 2nd gears, the feeling was not smooth like the Wee. I understand some folks are using a throttle tamer and ECU modes to address that, I'll tighten up the throttle slack and see if that helps. I also ordered the 16t front sprocket given the positive reviews.

Nice and narrow between the knees when standing up on the pegs and I feel like I'm sitting on the bike instead of in it like the Wee. Also is very responsive to bar inputs, more so than the Wee (feels more flickable).

Time to mount the farkles!
The engine on the 1000 is rougher sounding and feeling than on the Glee (no experience with the Wee). It doesn't seem to get any better with more mileage. I think it is just a physical characteristic of the larger pistons in the 1000.

Some think that raising the forks about 10mm helps improve the turn-in. There's quite a bit of suspension adjustment you can do to set it up to your style of riding.

-Gary
2014 V-Strom 1000 - Desert Khaki
2016 GSX-S1000FA
2012 DR650SE
2011 Burgman 400
2007 Honda Helix
2013 V-Strom 650 - sold
post #6 of 15 Old 03-16-2016, 01:20 AM
Stromthusiast!

My engine is smooth. The timing gear whine is normal. I had to tighten the throttle cables at the throttle bodies.

Yes, more flickable. Also much fun in winds. Do adjust the sag and compression & rebound damping to your liking, and readjust as the suspension breaks in.

"Older people who are reasonable, good-tempered, and gracious will bear aging well. Those who are mean-spirited and irritable will be unhappy at every period of their lives.

"Let each of use properly whatever strengths he has and strive to use them well. If he does this, he will never find himself lacking."

Marcus Tullius Cicero
44 B.C.
post #7 of 15 Old 03-16-2016, 12:09 PM
Stromthusiast!

When I first got my bike, I thought about raising the forks like I did on my previous Vee, however after riding a bit I felt the turn-in was just fine as is. And, I agree, the bike is a blast even in gusty winds, haven't had to slow down yet.

2014 DL1000 ADV
2006 DL1000 125,000 miles (Sold!!)
post #8 of 15 Old 03-16-2016, 08:42 PM
Stromthusiast!

I am another new/first time V-Strom owner (2015 DL1000A), and haven't ridden a v-twin in several years. I am accustomed to the unique V4 engine sounds and vibrations of my old Honda VFR 800 and the whine of my old ST1300 V4. I am hoping the lumpy vibes I'm getting under acceleration from this new bike is just the nature of this particular motor and not something else. I would not think about using the word "smooth" to describe the power. Thoughts?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

2015 DL1000 ADV
post #9 of 15 Old 03-16-2016, 09:03 PM
Stromthusiast!

Our 2014 Veekstrom is as smooth as silk- even pulling away in 4/5 gear from 2500 rpm!
Initially it wasnt so!...It did take several thousand kilometres -1500 miles or more before it really smoothed out.
Now with 12,000 kilometres ,7500 miles it couldnt be smoother. snatchy throttle was addressed at the first service- I has the throttle freeplay reduced.My advice is ride it till the first 600 mile service and see how it is, then if any issues, get them addressed at that time

Paul and Dixie and our V2
DL1000A 2015. SW-Motec crash bars and skid plate,Givi Airflo screen,Givi rear Hugger,Factory low seat,Barkbusters with Storm guards,Factory Tank Protector, Factory centre stand,RadGuard Radiator Guard,home made top box adaptor plate with poverty top box,Factory hard panniers,Zumo390LM,TKC70's,windshield lowered 50mm with custom mounting plates,motopressor tyre inflator,Virgins breath in the tyres,Barrett exhaust,AWESOME rider and pillion.
post #10 of 15 Old 03-16-2016, 11:46 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by We2V2 View Post
Our 2014 Veekstrom is as smooth as silk- even pulling away in 4/5 gear from 2500 rpm!
Initially it wasnt so!...It did take several thousand kilometres -1500 miles or more before it really smoothed out.
Now with 12,000 kilometres ,7500 miles it couldnt be smoother. snatchy throttle was addressed at the first service- I has the throttle freeplay reduced.My advice is ride it till the first 600 mile service and see how it is, then if any issues, get them addressed at that time
I have just under 1000 miles on mine, and it is fairly rough, especially compared to the 650, so maybe some more miles will help. Of course, one person's smooth, might be unacceptably rough to the next guy...there's really no objective way to compare without having them side by side.

-Gary
2014 V-Strom 1000 - Desert Khaki
2016 GSX-S1000FA
2012 DR650SE
2011 Burgman 400
2007 Honda Helix
2013 V-Strom 650 - sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode