Close to pulliing the trigger..any thing I should be concerned about ..DL 1000 beak - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 03-12-2016, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Close to pulliing the trigger..any thing I should be concerned about ..DL 1000 beak

Hello,

I'm close to buying a new 2015 DL 1000.. Just curious if there's things I should know about the bike .. Harley sold today !

Was looking at the Super T until I noticed the pegs are welded to the frame..so no chance lowering them ? Duh

Was there ever an issue with clutch baskets on the new ones ?

ECU in Canada

Wiring harness

Thanks in advance

Gobear

Last edited by Gobear; 03-12-2016 at 08:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 03-12-2016, 09:38 PM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
There is nothing unique about the Canadian model so I'm moving the thread. There is a recall on the wiring harness so any affected models will have the wiring harness fixed before it is sold. The clutch baskets are fine when new but may develop chudder with use. A fix from Werks Parts (see our supporters) will handle that if it develops. The ECU has caused lean spots in some specimens but a test ride should establish if the particular model you want has an issue. Some Euro models are getting new ECUs if they show problems and that fix may extend to North America in the future, but it isn't happening much now if at all.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informa...-you-have.html
post #3 of 19 Old 03-13-2016, 12:11 AM
Stromthusiast!

I would be concerned with the constant ear to ear grin you will have after riding your new dl1000. Get used to weird looks from people who wonder what the hell "that guy" is so happy about???

post #4 of 19 Old 03-13-2016, 01:01 AM
Stromthusiast!

One thing to compare is how many used S1's for sale VS used V2's. That speaks volumes. Why sell your used bike when there is nothing better? It is a great bike.
post #5 of 19 Old 03-13-2016, 01:28 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobear View Post
Hello,

I'm close to buying a new 2015 DL 1000.. Just curious if there's things I should know about the bike .. Harley sold today !

Was looking at the Super T until I noticed the pegs are welded to the frame..so no chance lowering them ? Duh

Was there ever an issue with clutch baskets on the new ones ?

ECU in Canada

Wiring harness

Thanks in advance

Gobear
If you feel like a drive to Kingston you are welcome to come take mine for a spin.

2018 Vstrom 1000
2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Nomad
post #6 of 19 Old 03-13-2016, 07:41 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
You're in a V-strom forum...I'm pretty sure no one will tell you not to buy it. I own one myself and have nothing bad to say about it.
Big B likes this.

-John
post #7 of 19 Old 03-13-2016, 10:05 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugMagnet View Post
One thing to compare is how many used S1's for sale VS used V2's. That speaks volumes. Why sell your used bike when there is nothing better? It is a great bike.
This is a little misleading.....there are lots of used Teneres for sale because Yamaha has already made some significant updates to the Gen 1 bike. Lots of Tenere owners are selling to upgrade to the Gen 2. Pre 2013 is Gen 1, after are Gen 2. They are dirt cheap right now........like around $9,000 (new) for pre 2013. The pegs can be lowered easily, they sell an offset peg and the shifter and brake are adjustable. Both Gen 1 and 2 are fine bikes and the changes included electronic adjustable suspension and factory cruise control.

That said, the new V2 is a great bike also.

You owe it to yourself to research and try both. While they are both Japanese ADV bikes, they are quite different. Each has some unique attributes.

As to your question about V2 problems....yes there are some niggles, you will find info on them here. But the Tenere has a few also. ADVrider is probably the best place to get an impartial idea of the bikes. I had a hard time deciding between the two bikes myself.

Happy motoring.
Big B and Toto like this.

2000 Red Honda XR 400r
2003 Green Honda Rincon 650 ATV

If it is not broken, it can still be fixed

Last edited by Scott E. Bonds; 03-13-2016 at 10:13 AM.
post #8 of 19 Old 03-13-2016, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Thanks for the feedback

Ride safe

Cheers

Gary
post #9 of 19 Old 03-13-2016, 10:39 PM
Stromthusiast!

I also sold my Harley for a v2. Haha. New left over as well. I can honestly give you a impartial view.
The s10 is heavier and slower. And uglier. I love Yamaha but they messed up on that one. If I were going to buy a different adv bike it would probably be the triumph. It's the closest in weight and power.

Pros.. Fast. Real fast. The motor is 42cc bigger than the v1. It's a dohc instead of sohc. It has 4 plugs and burns fuel better than the v1. It is lighter than the v1. If you get one you could just get the adv model with hand guards and bags and that belly plate that is trash and needs replaced. But the right bag is very lacking with this huge cutout for the pipe. The windshield is good but isn't perfect.. Aftermarket a are cheap but the ratcheting shield mount is awesome. The lights work great.. It handles like a dream. 3 way front suspension controls and 2 way rear are very good. The stock seat is actually very comfortable. Bars are in a great spot. Pegs are very good in the stock position. It's as if Suzuki took the Ktm1290 and copied it. All around a perfect motorcycle for the most part. If you like wheelies this is the bike for you. It gets all its power at about 4K and keeps it. The adv model crash bars are perfect. The display is easy to read and switching between tc settings is smooth. The tc setting 1 is the least intrusive it will let you be aggressive and will lift the front tire a few inches and set it back down. Level 2 cuts power and is more intrusive but you can't feel it working as much.. But you can feel is being slower. And off.. Just prepare for hard acceleration in 1st gear to keep the front wheel in the air a couple feet if wanted.

Cons.. It has a couple. Don't blip the throttle.. It sometimes will die out. The bag as mentioned. The windshield could be 2 inches taller. The fairing design around the headlight is shit.. All the wind comes around the headlight follows the body line and slams you right in the chest. (I have designed my own fix for this) the lower cowl on the adv model as stated is shit and For show only. The throttle is very touchy. It's either on or off.. You will get used to slowly turning it though. I can't think of anything else bad or annoying. For the off-road guys you can't turn off the abs..

I can't think of a reason for you not to buy it. Go get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #10 of 19 Old 03-13-2016, 11:36 PM
Stromthusiast!

I'd have to say that a pretty big majority of us have had no issues at all with stalling,throttle problems, scary noises or other running issues. I'm sure those things are really frustrating for the folks that have them but your odds of getting one with no problems should be pretty good.
blz2dwl and Bugzy like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode