V2 folding shift lever - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 03-12-2016, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

V2 folding shift lever

I am considering purchasing a folding shift lever, but having trouble finding a picture of one installed on a V2.

I understand these attach directly to the splines and the linkage goes away which is cool, but when I measure from the splines to the end of the shift lever on my current bike, it is only 2.5 inches, and I don't see ANY levers that short.

Curious if anyone has a folding lever and could supply a picture?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 03-12-2016, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Check this out. It's about 1" longer that stock if connected directly to splines.

Aluminum Forged Alloy Gear Shift Short Folding Lever Fit KAYO T4 T6 250cc IRBIS Dirt Bike Pit Bike Parts Free Shipping on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

I ordered one, will update this thread after installation. Hopefully it fits ok, price is very good. I could have a few of these as spares too, for the price.

Last edited by Bugzy; 03-12-2016 at 06:17 PM.
post #3 of 17 Old 03-12-2016, 09:30 PM
Stromthusiast!

Sweet thanks Bugmagnet for doing the "beta" testing for us!

post #4 of 17 Old 04-25-2016, 02:13 AM
Stromthusiast!

Any follow up on this topic? I hate that sick feeling when the shift lever becomes a pretzel...

2015 DL1000 ADV
post #5 of 17 Old 04-25-2016, 02:55 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Lever has not arrived yet. Maybe this week.
post #6 of 17 Old 04-25-2016, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Isn't that funny, the lever arrived this morning.

I took a stab at installing it, but unfortunately it won't work for two reasons.

- The lever when installed sits too close to the engine cover due to the splines on the bike being recessed. It would need some kind of adapter to pull it out from the bike about an inch or maybe a little less.
- The hole to insert it on the bike is one size too small. It could be drilled out, but then it would lose the splines and likely not be as secure. I was able to get it on by opening the gap with a screwdriver, but there was no point since it would be too recessed when on bike if inserted this way.

Original setup

New lever

It's darn close, but not going to work. If someone made an adapter to convert the larger bike spline shaft to the slightly smaller shift lever splines that would probably be OK since it would also bring the lever out slightly farther.

Anyone know where to get such a thing?
post #7 of 17 Old 04-26-2016, 06:51 PM
Stromthusiast!

I installed SW Motech Adjustable Folding Gear pedal. It works great but it's more expensive.

2017 DL1000 White
2014 DL1000 Red (sold)
2012 DL650 White (sold)
post #8 of 17 Old 04-28-2016, 10:26 PM
Stromthusiast!

I have an email in to Touratech to see if their shifter will fit the 2014. Is the shifter/linkage set-up the same between the 2012 & 2014? Touratech doesn't have one listed under the 2014 products, only the earlier.

'07 DR650
'14 Indy 800SP
'14 DL1000
post #9 of 17 Old 04-28-2016, 10:42 PM
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

It should be a simple matter to cut the tips off and weld the folding unit to the stock shifter. All it takes is someone who can weld aluminum and the guts to cut the stock tip off that expensive stock shift lever.

Kind of reminds of those DIY sun roofs for cars in the 1970s. Not very hard, except for getting the nerve to cut that hole in a perfectly good roof.
post #10 of 17 Old 04-28-2016, 11:33 PM
Stromthusiast!

[QUOTE=richlandrick;3951130]It should be a simple matter to cut the tips off and weld the folding unit to the stock shifter. All it takes is someone who can weld aluminum and the guts to cut the stock tip off that expensive stock shift lever.

Or..., weld the arm of the folding jobbie to the base of the bent lever you're replacing
though you,d have to wait to damage the first one
richlandrick likes this.

Paul and Dixie and our V2
DL1000A 2015. SW-Motec crash bars and skid plate,Givi Airflo screen,Givi rear Hugger,Factory low seat,Barkbusters with Storm guards,Factory Tank Protector, Factory centre stand,RadGuard Radiator Guard,home made top box adaptor plate with poverty top box,Factory hard panniers,Zumo390LM,TKC70's,windshield lowered 50mm with custom mounting plates,motopressor tyre inflator,Virgins breath in the tyres,Barrett exhaust,AWESOME rider and pillion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode