XM antenna placement - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 03-09-2016, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
XM antenna placement

I use my Garmin 665 for long rides and always enjoy the company of music while I ride. I move the GPS from bike to bike and have the antenna wiring setup for easy transfer between the 2 bikes. My issue is that I have been keeping the antenna "puck" in the top of my tank bag and I'm constantly losing the signal. I'm trying to figure out a better place for mounting so I can have a consistent 3 bars. Anyone have solved this issue on their V2?

Last edited by triman11427; 03-09-2016 at 03:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-09-2016, 04:17 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by triman11427 View Post
I use my Garmin 665 for long rides and always enjoy the company of music while I ride. I move the GPS from bike to bike and have the antenna wiring setup for easy transfer between the 2 bikes. My issue is that I have been keeping the antenna "puck" in the top of my tank bag and I'm constantly losing the signal. I'm trying to figure out a better place for mounting so I can have a consistent 3 bars. Anyone have solved this issue on their V2?
Before these were available commercially, we made five similar piuck mounts for a buddies five bikes. Fits between the cradle and ram mount and the puck and plates have adhesive Velcro on them. Originals were for a 550 cradle but he modified when he upgraded to a 665. Otherwise, anywhere you could stick Velcro to on the dash or a shelf would work.
https://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-sa...nna-plate.html

'09 VEE
'07 HD SEUC
'09 ST1300P
'06 ST1300
post #3 of 6 Old 03-09-2016, 04:39 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

I also have the same GPS, I had a local shop bend a plate that I mounted on the back of an ST1100 backrest on my Corbin seat. I don't use the backrest, it was for my wife who decided she didn't like riding the K1 so it came in handy for long rides.

Billclel2002

post #4 of 6 Old 03-10-2016, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I was thinking about using Velcro and mounting on top of the brake master cylinder just in front of the throttle side grip.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-10-2016, 09:33 AM
Stromthusiast!

I have had Sirius/XM for years (All Access) and am planning on upgrading my wife's old TomTom 720 I use now to the Garmin 665LM. I had no idea there might be sat issues with connectivity on a motorcycle given how well it works in our cars.

Is the 665 ok to see in sunlight? (the TomTom is dim and I see that in some of the reviews on the 665) Any other things you like or don't like about the 665?

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS (Candy Daring Red)
2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300 ABS (Graphite Grey)
2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (sold)

Last edited by SECoda; 03-10-2016 at 09:43 AM.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-10-2016, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SECoda View Post
I have had Sirius/XM for years (All Access) and am planning on upgrading my wife's old TomTom 720 I use now to the Garmin 665LM. I had no idea there might be sat issues with connectivity on a motorcycle given how well it works in our cars.

Is the 665 ok to see in sunlight? (the TomTom is dim and I see that in some of the reviews on the 665) Any other things you like or don't like about the 665?
I like the 665 a lot. Works fine in all weather conditions and is relatively easy to use "on the fly". It doesn't have sat issues if it's placed in the correct location. It should be at least 6' from the GPS with a clear view of the sky. On my S10 I have it located just in a great location where the wind wings fit. Sort of in front of me and to the right. The V2 has a bit more of a challenge to finding the correct position without the rider or something else obstructing the view. I have a very specific need to be able to easily move the puck to move to my other bike. If thats not a consideration finding a more permanent position is easier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode