Advice needed - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 03-08-2016, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Advice needed

I am about to purchase a new MC, & have narrowed it down to the V-Strom 1000, I am going to the dealer in the next few days to take my first (in person) look at one, I have done all the reading/comparing & have decided, the V-Strom is well suited for me. I would like, and could use some help, a little info on me, I am 5'10" 175# 30" inseam, 70yo, have been riding for most of my life. I don't do any hardcore off-roading, but I do like to ride down gravel/dirt roads, Questions, is the $1,300.00 worth it for the Adventure model?, can the V-Strom be fitted with a center stand? What would be considered a decent price? (SoCal), anything I should be on the look out for? I really appreciate any and all advise, Thanks mnn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 03-08-2016, 11:16 PM
Stromthusiast!

Hi mnn, welcome to the forum.

I am also 5'10 but my inseam is 32", and this bike is perfect for my size. I always stop with one foot down and have had no issues with reach. I am on the balls of my feet when both are down.

You should definitely sit on one though to see if it fits, if you are on tip toes it can make it challenging to back the bike up, and it can be surprising how often that needs to occur. An option to correct it is to swap out the seat, or lower the bike a little.

I would not go with the adventure setup personally as I think the bags are too small, but have a look yourself and decide. I think you can get much better panniers after the fact. There are a lot of available models out.

Center stand definitely.

Look on cycletrader.com for current lowest prices. I see one there with 700 miles on it for $7487, but you have to go to Ohio and ride it home, wouldn't that be the perfect way to buy a motorcycle?
post #3 of 17 Old 03-08-2016, 11:23 PM
Stromthusiast!

May or may not be an issue for you, but I don't think you'll be able to put both feet flat unless you lower the bike or seat. A lot of folks like to get the base and install accessories of their own choosing - if you like the oem accessories and would install them anyway, you will save some $$ by getting the adventure. Suzuki center stand is excellent, and there are several other good ones as well. I have no idea about CA pricing, but I picked up my base model 2014 last September for $9K out the door. I've seen 2014 adventure models for about $1000 more. There may still be a few '14s left, later years would likely be more. An internet search might turn up some local prices.

A '14 or '15 will need to have the recent recall work done (VIN can be checked on Suzuki's website). Others can verify, but I think the 2016 models have the newer ECU which has better fuel mapping than previous years.

It's not a perfect bike, but a very good one. Good luck, and let us know what you decide.

-Gary
2014 V-Strom 1000 - Desert Khaki
2016 GSX-S1000FA
2012 DR650SE
2011 Burgman 400
2007 Honda Helix
2013 V-Strom 650 - sold

post #4 of 17 Old 03-09-2016, 04:42 AM
Stromthusiast!

I'd go for the base model. The suzuki plastic sump guard is no good for off road and the panniers r to small. Crash bars and hand guards r fine but you can buy cheaper bars and stronger hand guards. Main stand the same, swmotech stand is cheaper and you get plated screws and springs unlike suzuki's! Later 15 models have some of the recall work done at factory, rubber boot fitted from june 15 but all 14 and 15's have the old ecu.
post #5 of 17 Old 03-09-2016, 06:48 AM
$tromtrooper

Also a 30" inseam and the Strom is top heavy. I'm 68 ...stock it's a handful on any cambered surfaces.

Terry Adcox seat lowered by request and 3/4" lowered links and I'm just fine with riding boots on.

If you let us know what bikes you've had might help.

I'd spend the $1300 on a seat/links and fitting out the bike with useful farkles.

Welcome. Curious as to why not the Wee ...??

Ontario Canada rider staying in Cairns Australian Feb to May & Aug-Oct each year
Canada 2018 CB500x >2009 CBF1000 sold 10 Wee ABS sold 09 Burgman Exec sold 10 NT700v sold
Australia> 04 KLR650 93 ST1100 sold
Travel photos> https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries Oz riding >https://tinyurl.com/y4c7lm87

Last edited by Macdoc; 03-09-2016 at 07:48 AM.
post #6 of 17 Old 03-09-2016, 07:07 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I'm with these guys. It's better to take that $1,300 and put it toward better panniers and skid plate. Buy the OEM center stand as well and you're good to go...until you get that itch again.

-John
post #7 of 17 Old 03-09-2016, 08:33 AM
Stromthusiast!

use the $1300 to buy an after market pannier system. More bang for your buck. I find that the adventure model panniers (for my 2009) to small.

Brian

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #8 of 17 Old 03-09-2016, 09:27 AM
Stromthusiast!

I tend to agree with the folks above. For me buying a base model and putting on the bits & pieces I wanted was not only better on my wallet, but fun!
post #9 of 17 Old 03-09-2016, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Thanks to all!!, Yes the seat height is probley my biggest concern, I have seen several V-Stroms on the road but have never thrown a leg over one, I have ridden several MC's over the years my current rides are a 2007 KLR ( 650 which I lowered 2") I also ride a 2003 Goldwing, which is really a wonderful MC, but at around 900# has become a handful, I just sold a 2002 BMW R1150R. The reason for a larger displacement is I like to "Boogie" & I think the larger displacement handles that better, The KLR, although a very capable MC, feels strained at anything much over 4k rpm. I have read so many good things about the V-Strom I am hoping for a good fit, I understand the "Tippy-Toe" situations quite well, I am not a big fan of altering the height of MC's. As to the extra money for the Adventure Package, I agree, I would probley enjoy my own farkling. Thanks again, you have been a Great help. I will keep you posted! mnn
post #10 of 17 Old 03-09-2016, 01:42 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
no problems

With all your experience you will be fine. Even my short 29 inch legs are no problem once I'm in second gear. ha ha
Seriously, stopping and starting on rough ground when fully loaded can often be a challenge for me. My long engine mounted sliders and handle bar mounted BarkBusters and my aluminum side cases have scratches and worn spots showing that sometimes my bike takes a nap. I've bumped the mirrors and signal lights a couple times but never actually damaged them.

Road Toads Charter Member - old guy goes stromabout on a 2007 Vee and finally has touched all of the 48 contiguous United states and the 10 Canadian provinces.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode