Track day the dl1000 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 Old 03-05-2016, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Track day the dl1000

Was wondering everyones thoughts on the capability of the v2 at a track day? Hold its own?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old 03-05-2016, 10:19 PM
Ex- moderator

I think with appropriate tires and carefully setup suspension it will hold its own in the corners..out brake 'em going in..use the torque to get out early..I can keep up to a 600 sportbike if the rider isn't that skilled..

Why Motorcycles? Because Golf, Soccer, Football and Baseball only require One Ball
post #3 of 47 Old 03-06-2016, 12:16 AM
Stromthusiast!

No track for me, but I actually find the V2 more flickable than the wee2. I agree about having appropriate tires for the track - though the stock battle wings do have decent grip on the street. Yea, its got great torque, but flattens a little earlier than I expected.

2014 DL650 (sold)
2014 DL1000

post #4 of 47 Old 03-06-2016, 12:53 AM
Stromthusiast!

I just did a track day but it was my first so no great advice to give. I did not see the limits of my Tourance Next front and rear and wore them to the edges. As In, no, I do not need any dipping sauce for my chicken stripps!

L4 DL1000 Black Strom No3
post #5 of 47 Old 03-06-2016, 01:20 AM
Stromthusiast!

What do you mean by "hold its own"? If you are a skilled rider, then you will likely be able to pass unskilled riders on sportbikes. If not, a skilled rider on a sportbike will leave you for dead.

Track days have nothing to do with the bike - they are all about the rider.

I was once at a track day where I saw a guy on a Suzuki Burgman pass a guy on a Hayabusa, in a corner, on the outside! Dude on the 'busa wadded it up that day, while the guy on the Burgman had a great day.

It's not about the tool.
Toto, blz2dwl, pinballer and 3 others like this.
post #6 of 47 Old 03-06-2016, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Agree 100% not the tool. My track bike is a sv650s. I'm not a pro track rider, just was curious if anyone has put some track time on the v2. By the numbers, with an arrow header, exhaust, tune, I'm thinking it would be competitive to a buell xb12r/ equal rider.
Old Time Rider likes this.
post #7 of 47 Old 03-06-2016, 12:28 PM
Stromthusiast!

My '07 is quite capable on the track and did pretty well even on Metzlers. The rear would step out occasionally in turns under acceleration, but it was predictable. That said, a Vee is no competition for a SS bike if rider skill is equal. SS bikes are lighter, can carry more corner speed, have more top end, and have better brakes.

2007 DL1000
post #8 of 47 Old 03-06-2016, 01:56 PM
Stromthusiast!

The 19" front wheel is somewhat of a hindrance when choosing track tires. Designated track tires are one of the most important element of any bike on the track.

IBA #7147 Current Bikes
14 DL1000ADV
13 DL650A
06 DL650
2004 R1150R, BMW
2002 R1150R, BMW
1996 Road King, Harley Davidson
1994 FXR Superglide, Harley Davidson
post #9 of 47 Old 03-06-2016, 05:14 PM
$tromtrooper

I did one track day on my V2. I was in the Beginner/Level 1 Class,which is exactly where I belonged, and rode only with those in that category. Great fun but I was severely hampered by the peg-lowering kit. Kind of obvious and I should have taken the time to return it to stock for that one day. The peg feelers and some of the brake pedal are ground away and I lost positions on the track to those who could lean more. That said, I was probably in mid-pack on the long straight (speedo showed 125mph). Guys on R1s, Ninjas, and other sport-oriented bikes would pass me and I passed others that either had slower bikes or didn't come of out the preceding corner fast enough. I caught many of the fast-bike riders going into corners when they would brake too early. No doubt related to our inexperience. Anyway, I learned a lot about my limitations/areas for improvement and from watching others, especially the Level 2 and 3 guys. Riding fast in a "safe" environment is an outlet that has made me more responsible on the street. I'll do it again but with more clearance.
bobbyvstrom, 2thDr, We2V2 and 1 others like this.
post #10 of 47 Old 03-06-2016, 05:23 PM
Stromthusiast!

Here's a DL1000 at Laguna Seca. This guy was moving pretty good.

2007 DL1000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode