Quick question re Snorkel Removal?? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 02-29-2016, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quick question re Snorkel Removal??

Hey guys, I have the bike apart right now putting in the Power Commander and K&N. Has anybody removed the airbox snokel and left it off? If so were there any benefits/negatives?? It appears as though it would be somewhat prone to letting water in, but I tend to avoid driving in the wet at all costs.

Any opinions?

ps. I know that Dale Walker sells a shield for people who have removed the snorkel but I didn't think to pick one up. Is it safe to run without?

2014 Suzuki DL1000 - Pearl White
2010 Honda VFR1200 - Candy Prominence Red

Last edited by symbiotix; 02-29-2016 at 07:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-29-2016, 07:43 PM
Stromthusiast!

I,ve run SV650 and SV1000 without snorkel And having tank front raised 18mm and even after pissing rain, never an issue.
The airbox had a water trap and I never saw any in it. In pissing rain I tended to slow right down anyway! so rain wasnt gonna blow into the 20mm gap behind the steering head, then get into the airbox and somehow drain through the oiled K&N...
The only benefit "performance wise" was that the SV1000 induction roar under accelleration and airbox resonance at 3000rpm was spine tingling
Lets call it an Aural enhancement! ( I could never find any dyno charts that proved airbox mod = HP.)
My advice is just take the snorkle off, if you like the new sound,leave it off. If you're not comfortable, refit it.
FWIW I was initially scared about water getting in as we tour and cant predict the weather, so at one time I drilled two 50mm (2 ") holes in the rubber front of the airbox and ducted air using convoluted aluminium hose to form two 90degree air ducts.Basically a large diametre snorkle.This was to avoid rain getting in. To be honest it was a waste of time.
I reckon the worst case scenario without a snorkle will be you,ll see more dust at the leading edge of the filter as less will settle in the snorkle.

i,ll also comment that before I sold my SV's I rode them with stock air filters and snorkles refitted and tanks lowered back to standard- and both bikes felt GREAT!, a little quieter, and somehow smoother..
I would never refit a stock muffler though!

Paul and Dixie and our V2
DL1000A 2015. SW-Motec crash bars and skid plate,Givi Airflo screen,Givi rear Hugger,Factory low seat,Barkbusters with Storm guards,Factory Tank Protector, Factory centre stand,RadGuard Radiator Guard,home made top box adaptor plate with poverty top box,Factory hard panniers,Zumo390LM,TKC70's,windshield lowered 50mm with custom mounting plates,motopressor tyre inflator,Virgins breath in the tyres,Barrett exhaust,AWESOME rider and pillion.
post #3 of 4 Old 03-01-2016, 09:47 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I have the snorkel removed (Holeshot guard fitted) on my DL, it is part of the mods to enhance better intake airflow. Yes there is more induction noise under acceleration but it is not too intrusive.

post #4 of 4 Old 03-01-2016, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Decided to leave the snorkel on for now. It's really not that hard to pull the tank, so I'll likely pull the snorkel at a later date once I pick up a shield from Dale Walker or make my own.

2014 Suzuki DL1000 - Pearl White
2010 Honda VFR1200 - Candy Prominence Red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode