2-up touring? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

1Likes
  • 1 Post By richlandrick

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 02-27-2016, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Garage
2-up touring?

My wife and I took a 2000 mile ride with friends last fall. We were on a friends (nice friend) BMW 1200GS complete with pannier, back case and dry bags. It was a 12 day tour and I liked the way the GS rode..a few complaints were the height, my wife said by the 3rd time getting on, it was like getting on a horse. Also,i kept sliding forward and crushing the jewels..We have a 2700 mile 5 state ride planned for this fall..We have been looking at new V-Strom 1000..I like the riding position and the height is much better for us..I'm about 200# and the wife 5'8" and about 150 win all the gear..h's anyone done ny long distance/multi-day trips on 1000? What's the consensus? I really don't want to spend the money or pay the high fees to the local BMWdealer for a GS. The majority of the rides will be 2 lane asphalt with some interstate..That said, being from Idaho, we will take occasional forays on dirt forest service roads. The Marauder Corridor being on next year..Sorry for the rambling, any feedback will be greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-27-2016, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Lots of feedback already available towards what you are asking......and YES the Vee2 would be a good overall choice for your intended purposes.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #3 of 10 Old 02-27-2016, 03:05 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
You will be fine I road with my wife several times last year without issue and such about 80lbs more then you two do

2018 Vstrom 1000
2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Nomad

post #4 of 10 Old 02-27-2016, 03:18 PM
Stromthusiast!

No problem. There are aftermarket seats and custom seats that can fit anyone. A day's ride from Idaho is Rich's Custom Seats Rich also offers free camping or a low cost apartment for a night for seat buyers.

Buy luggage that fits your needs. There are many vendors. A back rest for the passenger can fit many of the top cases.

Learn how to set the sag on the bike. This is how much the bike sags on its suspension when loaded with cargo and people. The preload adjuster sets this. The front only needs to be adjusted for the rider. The rear is easily adjusted for the added weight of passenger and luggage. The correct sag for these bikes is for the bike to settle about 40 mm front & rear from the wheel in the air to the load on the bike.

"Older people who are reasonable, good-tempered, and gracious will bear aging well. Those who are mean-spirited and irritable will be unhappy at every period of their lives.

"Let each of use properly whatever strengths he has and strive to use them well. If he does this, he will never find himself lacking."

Marcus Tullius Cicero
44 B.C.
post #5 of 10 Old 02-27-2016, 03:19 PM
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

My wife and rode from WA state to Malibu CA and back with full top and side cases and pulled a trailer. See my avatar. The only problem was keeping it under 80 mph on the interstate.

That was on my DL650.

My DL1000 could pull my DL650 on the trailer.
DerStrominator likes this.
post #6 of 10 Old 02-27-2016, 07:01 PM
Stromthusiast!

I think Basecamp rides a 650 2 up.
post #7 of 10 Old 02-27-2016, 11:13 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Garage
I'll second Rich's custom seats. We just got ours last week. My wife complained the stock seat was hurting her tailbone.

George
2014 DL1000A

80 Suzuki GS450L gone
90 FXR gone
99 Road King Classic gone
05 V Star 1100 gone
post #8 of 10 Old 02-27-2016, 11:57 PM
Stromthusiast!

My wife Dixie and I have recently completed a 3000mile 10 day trip of which Dixie was pillion for 6 days straight, factory panniers,topbox and tankbag! Never a complaint From her about the pillion seat or getting on/off or leg cramping,sore knees etc - VERY HAPPY!
3 days were spent riding dirt roads and service roads,with the occasional "track" thrown in. You can follow our ride and see some of the countryside we traversed here:
Paul and Dixies Eskdale-ent adventure in the Australia Newzealand Regional forum, or direct link here:
http://austouring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5802

Paul and Dixie and our V2
DL1000A 2015. SW-Motec crash bars and skid plate,Givi Airflo screen,Givi rear Hugger,Factory low seat,Barkbusters with Storm guards,Factory Tank Protector, Factory centre stand,RadGuard Radiator Guard,home made top box adaptor plate with poverty top box,Factory hard panniers,Zumo390LM,TKC70's,windshield lowered 50mm with custom mounting plates,motopressor tyre inflator,Virgins breath in the tyres,Barrett exhaust,AWESOME rider and pillion.

Last edited by We2V2; 02-28-2016 at 12:02 AM.
post #9 of 10 Old 02-28-2016, 01:44 AM
Stromthusiast!

Most pillions over about 5'5" complain that the pillion pegs are too high and would like some lowering links for the pegs. richlandrick?

Never argue with an idiot.......they drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!
post #10 of 10 Old 02-28-2016, 02:15 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromaholic View Post
Most pillions over about 5'5" complain that the pillion pegs are too high and would like some lowering links for the pegs. richlandrick?
True! but not so bad on the V2! (there is a rhyme there)

one of the persuasions to let go of our beloved SV1000 was that the pillion pegs were not readily lowerable (new word?) as the mighty carbon fibre yoshimura cannons were suspended below them.

Paul and Dixie and our V2
DL1000A 2015. SW-Motec crash bars and skid plate,Givi Airflo screen,Givi rear Hugger,Factory low seat,Barkbusters with Storm guards,Factory Tank Protector, Factory centre stand,RadGuard Radiator Guard,home made top box adaptor plate with poverty top box,Factory hard panniers,Zumo390LM,TKC70's,windshield lowered 50mm with custom mounting plates,motopressor tyre inflator,Virgins breath in the tyres,Barrett exhaust,AWESOME rider and pillion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode