"Gear Change Enhancer" add-on experience...? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 02-19-2016, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

"Gear Change Enhancer" add-on experience...?

I just purchased a '14 and am leaving it at the dealer until weather improves, so I'm doing my Farkle research and came across this piece of kit for smoothing out the shifting and was curios to know if any one else have tried it....?

Suzuki V Strom and DL 1000 Gear Change Enhancer. Awesome bit of kit amazing results. Fits latest 2014 models too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-19-2016, 08:39 PM
Stromthusiast!

Not sure the 14 needs this, it will fit sure..

Quote:
Originally Posted by scharfg View Post
I just purchased a '14 and am leaving it at the dealer until weather improves, so I'm doing my Farkle research and came across this piece of kit for smoothing out the shifting and was curios to know if any one else have tried it....?

Suzuki V Strom and DL 1000 Gear Change Enhancer. Awesome bit of kit amazing results. Fits latest 2014 models too.
V-Tom likes this.
post #3 of 16 Old 02-19-2016, 09:39 PM
$tromtrooper

Stroms shift smoothly if the bike is working properly and the rider is doing his/her part (IMO). After spending way to many $$$ over the years on unneeded farkles, you might consider putting some miles/kil on your new steed and then fine tune it to your liking. Then again you might not.
V-Tom likes this.

06 DL1000
2007 Royal Star Tour Deluxe

post #4 of 16 Old 02-19-2016, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Ya I was not sure either as I had not read any thing in my research about sloppy or iffy shift issues with the Vee2.

So when in dout I as this forum for feedback/advise.....

I just sent Richland Rick a note for his input as he built some spacers to correct this problem in the older Vees.
post #5 of 16 Old 02-19-2016, 10:09 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Ya I was not sure either as I had not read any thing in my research about sloppy or iffy shift issues with the Vee2.

So when in dout I as this forum for feedback/advise.....

I just sent Richland Rick a note for his input as he built some spacers to correct this problem in the older Vees.
I agree with bugmagnet & illinois. Ride it first before jumping to conclusions. My "old" 2009 Vee does not need the rear spacers as the rear sprocket does not wear on the sides (next to the teeth). As for shifting same thing applies.

That being said it is YOUR money. Have a good one.

Brian

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #6 of 16 Old 02-19-2016, 10:41 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Post magic

Quote:

Having looked very closely at how the chain path alighns with the engine and wheel sprockets on my DL-650A, and seeing the claims made for this "enhancement", I can say with high confidence: If there was any perceived improvement, it would be pure placebo effect.

I'm with the others on riding the bike for awhile before tweaking its fundamental operation. Chances are that you will not notice any unsmoothness in shifting (other than what can be improved with techniqueor is beyond improvement without a system redesign).

The language in the write-up at your link is very much like what I see for such useless gear as speaker cable conditioners. It's technical hocus-pocus encouraging the perception of imaginary effects and improvement. If you are susceptible to that sort of persuasion, and willing to part with good money for that sort of psychological manipulation, then spend away -- it will surely work its magic.

Otherwise, I would encourage you to see for yourself whether there is any correctable misalignment and be sure to adjust the chain slack screws to get the rear sprocket coplanar with the center of the engine sprocket. After that, there will nothing to correct with a £29.98 expenditure.
V-Tom likes this.
post #7 of 16 Old 02-19-2016, 10:46 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Sounds like you have not even ridden one yet, let alone the one you just bought? I suggest you quit looking for solutions to problems that don't exist with the Vee2..........ride it and report back, I am betting you will see exactly what I am talking about.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #8 of 16 Old 02-19-2016, 11:23 PM
Stromthusiast!

I bought my DL 1000 in early December 2015. It is my 7th bike. I have to say, it has the best shifting transmission I've ever experienced.
V-Tom likes this.
post #9 of 16 Old 02-20-2016, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Excellent feedback folks, the very reason I appeciate this forum

I'm a mechanical newb and at times "attracted" to things that purport to address an issue so as to minimize potential mechanical issues (I don't have access to a good bike mechanic either).

When I see things my initial reaction is "why would someone go to all that effort/financial outlay to fix a problem that's bogus", hence my forum post to get responses from folks with experience.

Thanks!
post #10 of 16 Old 02-20-2016, 03:13 AM
Stromthusiast!

Rick has said his fix for the older V's is not needed on the V2. Just ride it, they shift fine. The only time it is a little less than butter smooth is between first and second. But even that is smoothing out with more miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode