Clutch Seal Saver - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 02-10-2016, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Clutch Seal Saver

I had my V2 apart to change the front sprocket for a 16t and as with all these bikes the clutch push rod was covered with crap so I made a small spring loaded cover to help keep the crap out of the seal.

I is just a light weight spring about 1&1/4" long with some heat shrink shrunk over it.

When I pulled the cover off mine I found the seal had been pushed into the gearbox some by the previous owner, keep the spring light as there is no stop on the seal and it can be pushed into the gearbox if too much pressure is applied and the spring needs to be big enough that it will not pass through the hole in the plastic cover.

Just slip the saver over the push rod before you put the plastic sprocket cover on the refit the slave cylinder.

The photo of the heat shrink after it was shrunk over the spring and when in place will not up load sorry, you will work it out quite easily.
Stromaholic and Hanz like this.

Some of the 19 rides in my shed
2014 V2, Snoopy
2009 Wee, Pumbaa the pig
WR450F, The Blue Postie Bike
YZ250N smoker with rego, Stinky.
Yamaha MT09 (FZ09), The Scud missile.
Club Lead not Club Med.
He with the most toys wins.
Out of my depth in a puddle.
Live life on the edge you will see more that way.
Ridding a motorcycle keeps things in balance.
At the end of each trail and at the end of each day history is made.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-20-2018, 05:32 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
How about a piece of fuel line with no spring? How long do you think it needs to be?
post #3 of 13 Old 12-20-2018, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Fuel line may not be best.

When you pull in the clutch leaver it applies pressure to the clutch cylinder and the cylinder is pushed outwards so the gap between the cylinder and the seal around the pushrod grows and shrinks so the cover needs to grow and shrink along with it, now the problem is there is no stop behind the pushrod seal at the motor so that seal can easily be pushed into the motor if the cover is not flexible enough.

A short piece of tube would slide back and fourth helping to keep things clean but it may not be a total solution.

I have made my own rubber seal that I have glued to the face of the original pushrod seal, it is a little larger than the original so the seals can not be pushed into the motor, this is added security and a second seal to prevent crud getting through to the original seal.

There are a few posts on this forum where others have used different materials to make a cover, have a search you may find a solution more to your liking.

Some of the 19 rides in my shed
2014 V2, Snoopy
2009 Wee, Pumbaa the pig
WR450F, The Blue Postie Bike
YZ250N smoker with rego, Stinky.
Yamaha MT09 (FZ09), The Scud missile.
Club Lead not Club Med.
He with the most toys wins.
Out of my depth in a puddle.
Live life on the edge you will see more that way.
Ridding a motorcycle keeps things in balance.
At the end of each trail and at the end of each day history is made.

post #4 of 13 Old 12-20-2018, 11:55 PM
Stromthusiast!

I use a very soft rubber compressed air hose, if I remember right 35mm long. Hose is 3/8" id (10mm) and about 16mm od. So far so good.

Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A
post #5 of 13 Old 07-03-2019, 04:31 PM
Stromthusiast!

Update after 17k miles:

So after 17k miles I needed to change chain and sprockets and inspected the pushrod. It had a 35mm long (confirmed the length!) soft rubber hose (compressed air hose) as protective sleeve and that has worked very well. Only a little surface rust on it. No muck or dirt inside the hose or on the pushrod!

To combat the rust in future, when re-mounting I coated the rod and the inside of the hose piece with dielectric silicone grease. I also put another dab of that grease under the rubber cover of the slave cylinder. Will see how well that performs over the next xxk miles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4819.jpg (265.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4820.jpg (257.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4821.jpg (348.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4823.jpg (401.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4824.jpg (377.6 KB, 8 views)

Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A

Last edited by blaustrom; 07-05-2019 at 01:01 AM.
post #6 of 13 Old 07-03-2019, 04:34 PM
Stromthusiast!

One more image:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4827.jpg (358.7 KB, 8 views)

Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A
post #7 of 13 Old 07-04-2019, 11:18 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
I wonder about using a spare rubber bellows boot like what is used on the rear brake caliper over the bolt that holds the caliper down... Probably too short, but something along those lines would be soft, flexible and unlikely able to push the inner seal into the gear box...

I just had mine apart to change the sprocket. It had crap on it but not excessive. A single wipe with the shop rag pulled it all off. Next time it is open I might try putting something over it.
post #8 of 13 Old 07-05-2019, 01:00 AM
Stromthusiast!

If you use a hose 35mm long there won't be any pressure that's the clearance between the seal and the inside of the cover. You can doublecheck with a caliper.

A rubber bellow of sufficient length (say 40-45mm) so it will press a little against both sealing surfaces should also work well.
Gert likes this.

Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A

Last edited by blaustrom; 07-05-2019 at 01:04 AM.
post #9 of 13 Old 07-05-2019, 11:11 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I just had mine apart the other day for the first time at around 13k miles. I was replacing the brake and clutch fluids and figured i'd take a look. It wasn't to bad for dirt build up. I think if a person was to clean it every 10k they would never have an issue, that little hose though would likely mean you could go between sprocket changes without cleaning. I'll likely add one when it comes time to do my chain and sprockets.
Big B likes this.

2018 Vstrom 1000
2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Nomad
post #10 of 13 Old 07-05-2019, 12:31 PM
Stromthusiast!

I think the degree of potential problems with the clutch pin and slave depends very much on the riding conditions and how much chain lube (and what kind) is used. I use an oiler but forget often so my chain is kind of dry and after 17k there was little but rather dry and crusty deposit around the counter sprocket area. That would not be a good situation for the pushrod seal if unprotected, I think.

Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode