Vee2 rear shock - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 02-06-2016, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Vee2 rear shock

Just had my rear shock rebuilt by a suspension tech. Just for general knowledge, the standard rear spring measured in at 9.7kg/mm. I weigh 80kg and when I'm two up with luggage and gear we weigh in at 160kg. The shock was upgraded with an 11.6kg/mm Eibach spring, Gold Valve, heavier weight Maxima oil and re-gassed. The set-up allows me to ride solo with zero pre-load and 2 turns out on the dampening, and as I add the luggage and pillion,etc, increase as necessary. Hope this info is useful

Never argue with an idiot.......they drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 02-07-2016, 01:57 AM
Stromthusiast!

This is interesting information, can I ask what it cost to rebuild?
stefman722 likes this.
post #3 of 21 Old 02-07-2016, 03:20 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugMagnet View Post
I also wish to know this!

- 2006 Suzuki GSX-R 750
- 2015 Suzuki V-Strom 1000

post #4 of 21 Old 02-07-2016, 04:36 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugMagnet View Post
$600 AUD. You guys had to do the weight conversion, now you gotta do the $ conversion

Never argue with an idiot.......they drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!
post #5 of 21 Old 02-07-2016, 04:39 AM
Stromthusiast!

Dixie and I have just returned from a 4800km trip (over 10 days) hard panniers,top box and tank bag....I was known to crank up the preload at times and reduce it at others..solo I,ve found the rear can "skitter" a bit on corrogations mid corner (at speed) and stock is possibly a bit firm
I too am interested in what rewards these improvements make !
especially as 99% of our riding is 2 up
Keep us posted!
cheers, Paul and Dixie

Paul and Dixie and our V2
DL1000A 2015. SW-Motec crash bars and skid plate,Givi Airflo screen,Givi rear Hugger,Factory low seat,Barkbusters with Storm guards,Factory Tank Protector, Factory centre stand,RadGuard Radiator Guard,home made top box adaptor plate with poverty top box,Factory hard panniers,Zumo390LM,TKC70's,windshield lowered 50mm with custom mounting plates,motopressor tyre inflator,Virgins breath in the tyres,Barrett exhaust,AWESOME rider and pillion.
post #6 of 21 Old 02-07-2016, 04:56 AM
Stromthusiast!

Was it hard finding a place to do it? I was weighing up what to do with the shock on my 650. An Elka would be a lot of dough.... :/
post #7 of 21 Old 02-07-2016, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

First impressions - David Burnett at Suspension Matters has done a fantastic job! Did a 250km loop this morning on roads that I know well, only change I have made is a half turn more rebound dampening. The bike feels nice and taught and not a hint of fade. Purposely aimed the bike at a few rough corners that I usually try to avoid and the suspension just soaked it up with no skipping, sliding or jacking down. It was also the first outing for the TKC70s and after the initial scrubbing in period, happy to report they are very good. We2V2 - Paul, 99% two up you will need a heavier spring. My info to Dave was as I noted in the first post with weights, plus I told him I did about 80% road riding, 20% off road and 90% solo, 20% of that with luggage, and 10% two up with luggage - hope that's not too confusing. J58943 - we are pretty spoilt here on the Sunshine Coast with two quality suspension techs within 20 minutes of where I live. I also weighed up buying an aftermarket shock, but they start at $1300 and you have to remember it's only a $14 000 bike, however, that is just my opinion.
J58943 likes this.

post #8 of 21 Old 02-08-2016, 12:33 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Sounds like the the rebuild was successful. I explored several options for the rear of my DL and in the end bit the bullet and ordered a Wilbers 641 rear shock. Not a cheap option but what I have found when you change bikes you can usually sell off the aftermarket shock at a reasonably good price. I am going with a Cogent Dynamics setup for the front end.
Yes it is a budget bike but once you modify the suspension you end up with a very capable budget bike that is customised to your riding style.
post #9 of 21 Old 02-08-2016, 12:59 AM
Stromthusiast!

Keep in mind that the OP is talking about two separate things. We have a coil-over shock. The spring rate and the damping capability are the two things. He had both changed. Better damping is always good. Not always stiffer damping, but damping that better holds the tire against the surface.

The spring rate needs to suit the load that end of the bike carries. His new pre-load setting purely relates to the spring rate and the weight of the rider, passenger, and luggage as well as the weight of that end of the bike.
Stromaholic likes this.

"Older people who are reasonable, good-tempered, and gracious will bear aging well. Those who are mean-spirited and irritable will be unhappy at every period of their lives.

"Let each of use properly whatever strengths he has and strive to use them well. If he does this, he will never find himself lacking."

Marcus Tullius Cicero
44 B.C.
post #10 of 21 Old 02-08-2016, 02:07 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromaholic View Post
J58943 - we are pretty spoilt here on the Sunshine Coast with two quality suspension techs within 20 minutes of where I live. I also weighed up buying an aftermarket shock, but they start at $1300 and you have to remember it's only a $14 000 bike, however, that is just my opinion.
Thanks, mate. I agree with you. A rebuild is looking like best bang for buck. I found a couple of Australian places online (Shocktreatment and ProMecha) but I'm wary of going somewhere without reviews. Someone on Netrider reckoned there was a particular place to avoid but didn't mention what it was!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode