Scotts Damper on a V2 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 01-20-2016, 01:26 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Scotts Damper on a V2

I wondered if a Scotts Damper for a Wee would fit a V2 and since I had a mounting kit from a Wee sitting unused in my shed I thought why not have a go.

After removing the tank cover from a V2 I could see I was onto something, the bar clamps were a perfect fit but the bolts from the V2 would not work so I searched through my junk and found 4x8mx30mm socket head cap screws to take care of the handlebars and the mounting of the unit.

The front of the tank bolts to a bracket that is mounted to the frame with 3 button head bolts, I removed the 3 bolts and pulled the steel spacer out of the middle rubber grommet and then replaced the outer 2 bolts, I then cut the top off the middle rubber grommet so as to have a flat surface to work with.

I then found the frame mount from the Wee was a perfect fit but I needed a new hole drilled just a little closer the upright for things to line up, this was easy with a drill and the photos will show the position.

The Scotts mount centre pivot pin has a plastic collar fitted so you can set the depth, this is not required on the V2 so it must be removed.

The 6m bolt I removed was replaced and then the grub screws on the mount were adjusted just like you would on a Wee.SORRY THAT PHOTO WILL NOT UPLOAD

The tank cover fits back into place with no trimming or cutting required.

I made no changes to the bike so it can be put back to OME anytime.

Cheers Peter.
richlandrick and 2mstone like this.

Some of the 19 rides in my shed
2014 V2, Snoopy
2009 Wee, Pumbaa the pig
WR450F, The Blue Postie Bike
YZ250N smoker with rego, Stinky.
Yamaha MT09 (FZ09), The Scud missile.
Club Lead not Club Med.
He with the most toys wins.
Out of my depth in a puddle.
Live life on the edge you will see more that way.
Ridding a motorcycle keeps things in balance.
At the end of each trail and at the end of each day history is made.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 01-20-2016, 02:32 AM
Stromthusiast!

do you find your bike prone to tank slappers? are you going to ride it fast in soft sand?
post #3 of 22 Old 01-20-2016, 04:03 AM
Stromthusiast!

I used to ask similar questions until I fitted a steering damper. It's only been a life saver on soft sand, but it makes riding on dirt a lot easier generally.

Pete

post #4 of 22 Old 01-20-2016, 12:56 PM
Stromthusiast!

I have made several comparisons of my V2 to my past F800GS saying I find it the better handling bike. And, for sure, all the dirt and sandy patches I rode last year (a lot) had me with a big smile on my face. Now, interestingly I did a tour with an old bud who bought his F8 the same time I bought mine. I never had a Scotts damper on my somewhat squirrelly F8 but he has ridden all over the north ands south Americas on his with one. And he just bought a new F8 last year installing a Scott damper on it saying it was a necessity.
Point being I am so far not seeing a need for one on the bike but would love to hear some comments.
post #5 of 22 Old 01-20-2016, 01:20 PM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
I had a tank slapper on a Wee that resulted in the only crash I ever had on a bike that required a doctor for me and/or damage to the bike I couldn't easily fix myself. I've had a steering damper on every bike since just in case. Most of the time it really doesn't do anything but it will prevent the "O Lord" moments. I consider it cheap insurance.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informa...-you-have.html
post #6 of 22 Old 01-20-2016, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

I have posted this before.

My story is I applied for a new job, the best job in the world, I got the phone call on the Thursday to say I got the job, on the Friday I high sided my WR450f at about 10kph and broke my collar bone, I was very lucky they held the job for me while I recovered.

Since that accident I decided dampers were very very cheap and I would fit one to all my major rides, a damper is cheaper than any hospital bills, lost wages due to recovery times or motorcycle repair bills.

When a damper if adjusted properly you don't know it is there but you do know when it has done it's job, they do their best work on surprise elements like pot holes, tree roots and wildlife.

If you don't leave the city or your a very good clairvoyant then you probably don't need one but if you like to get out and about they are cheap insurance.

PS;
I have come to love the Scotts product, I have a GPR damper on my MT09 and it is rubbish, it works but it is very intrusive and there is not enough adjustment to get it comfortable.

2014 V2, Snoopy
2009 Wee, Pumbaa the pig
Club Lead not Club Med.
post #7 of 22 Old 01-20-2016, 06:29 PM
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Excellent write up Rolex. Well done.
post #8 of 22 Old 01-21-2016, 12:29 PM
Stromthusiast!

Well Rolex, I cant agree that Scotts are very, very cheap (I see what your saying tho) here in Canada at four to six hundred. Ya, I know, I'm a cheap bastard.
post #9 of 22 Old 01-21-2016, 12:40 PM
Stromthusiast!

Actually, now that I've gone looking, I am not coming up with one for my V2. Scott's site directly shows one for up to 09 Dl. Would this fit 14+?
post #10 of 22 Old 01-21-2016, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToadRide View Post
Actually, now that I've gone looking, I am not coming up with one for my V2. Scott's site directly shows one for up to 09 Dl. Would this fit 14+?
That is one of the reasons for my post there is no Scotts kit for the V2 at this time. (if Scotts read this there soon will be.)

The one I used is from a 2009 DL650 and was a quick and easy fit.

You are right they are not cheap compared with beer but when you compare them with medical bills or motorcycle repair costs they are worth every cent.

2014 V2, Snoopy
2009 Wee, Pumbaa the pig
Club Lead not Club Med.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode