Factory waterproofing question - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 01-14-2016, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Factory waterproofing question

Does your vstrom look like this? In order for proper waterproofing is the sheath supposed to be in the plastic housing so water does not get inside of it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-14-2016, 09:32 PM
Stromthusiast!

My sheathing is inside the box, unlike yours so I assume that your assumption is correct- it should be inside the switch box. If it's not under warranty it should be pretty easy to fix.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-14-2016, 10:35 PM
Stromthusiast!

It looks dodgy but there are other ways for water to get in besides the unsheathed area...the switch toggle, the gap between the handle bar and the plastic piece above the sheath you show in the image. There is more chance of water running down inside the sheath than getting into the switch block at that point. Try to stretch or slide the sheath into the switch block and secure it to the inner cables with a tight cable tie if it is concerning you.
Personally I hate parking my bike in the rain, Riding in the rain is o.k but I always think of the switches etc possibly getting wet inside when I see a bike in the rain...thankfully it doesnt seem to cause too many problems, and I remind myself that M/C manufacturers would allow for "weather" and construct electrics and switchgear to be durable and servicable after exposure to the elements.

Paul and Dixie and our V2
DL1000A 2015. SW-Motec crash bars and skid plate,Givi Airflo screen,Givi rear Hugger,Factory low seat,Barkbusters with Storm guards,Factory Tank Protector, Factory centre stand,RadGuard Radiator Guard,home made top box adaptor plate with poverty top box,Factory hard panniers,Zumo390LM,TKC70's,windshield lowered 50mm with custom mounting plates,motopressor tyre inflator,Virgins breath in the tyres,Barrett exhaust,AWESOME rider and pillion.

post #4 of 5 Old 01-15-2016, 12:21 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Lightbulb

We2v2....... and I remind myself that M/C manufacturers would allow for "weather" and construct electrics and switchgear to be durable and servicable after exposure to the elements."

Did you use to work for Lucas, The Prince of Darkness?

I know nuffink, I see nuffink, It was not me, I was not here.
IBA #45920
FarRider #299
2015 Wee Strom "Piglet"
Givi crash bars, Barkbusters, Ravetech Bash plate, Ravetech Rad guard, Ravetech over dash Ram mount, Hyperlite flashing brake lights, Madstad bracket and screen, Augustus wind deflectors, Spot 3, UHF two way radio, Garmin Zumo GPS, Starcom intercom, Fuze block.
SW Motech Centre stand, Suzuki power outlet. Bike Alarm, Screaming Banshee horn, Led Flood lights, Tool tube, Andy Strapz Expedition soft panniers and frames.

Last edited by Sgt Schultz; 01-15-2016 at 12:23 AM.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-15-2016, 03:16 PM
Stromthusiast!

My 2012 has the sheath inside the box and a ziptie around it. I would be tempted to just fix it up myself. The bikes are waterproof. Mine is normally stored in a garage, however has been ridden and left outdoors in heavy rain on many occasions and no problems at all except a slight leakage in the metal cases on occasion. I have liners for these so no problem there. Unlike leather seats, the oem and some aftermarkets (like my Sargeant) are waterproof as well.

2012 DL650/EXP (fox orange)

Last edited by nuke; 01-15-2016 at 04:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode