H7 LED Arrived - Not sure if I should use it? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 01-12-2016, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

H7 LED Arrived - Not sure if I should use it?

I'd just removed the fuel tank to route some wires when my 3S H7 LED arrived in the mail. I figured I might as well toss it in while I've got the bike half torn apart

Now that I have it installed, there are two things that are concerning; Firstly, the Vee2 headlight housing uses a plastic dust "cap." It locks into place with a 1/3rd turn and completely seals the headlight, including the connector. Other bikes use a rubber boot which the bulb passes through.

With this LED, there's no way to reinstall the plastic cap. The small harness exiting the LED prevents the cap from seating. I could seemingly cut a notch in the cap, but I'm not sure I want to. Also, while the bulb could theoretically fit under the dust cap (if it were notched), using the cap would likely prevent good airflow over the LED's heat sink. That doesn't seem smart.

The second issue is that the LED H7 is shielded, meaning the emitters are on only one side with a shield on the other. The regular H7 bulb emits light in all directions. I have the bulb installed with the emitters facing down, which makes the most sense to me. But I'm not sure.

So two questions. What are your thoughts on running the bulb without the dust cap? And which way do you think the emitters should face; up or down?

Tipsy

Bulb harness prevents dust cap from seating

Shield on the top half of the LED H7

Better depiction of the one-sided emitters
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-12-2016, 03:12 PM
phatguy in Cbus

If that's a cooling fan base, you wouldn't want the cover on there. What is the sight pattern like with all three led emitters on the same side?

Jim in Cbus

Current ride:
07 R1200GS (Barn Queen)
Gone rides: DL1000A; DL650A; F800ST; R1100RT;
DL1000; Royal Star V4; Concours; Kawa 650/4;
Honda CB350; BSA Thunderbolt 650; YDS 305;
YDS 250
post #3 of 15 Old 01-12-2016, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatguy View Post
If that's a cooling fan base, you wouldn't want the cover on there. What is the sight pattern like with all three led emitters on the same side?
It's not a cooling fan. It's a fanless heatsink. In either case, I would think airflow is important.

With regard to the sight pattern, I have the bike in pieces (fuel tank/airbox removed, etc.) so I don't think it's wise to put power on the bike.

Tipsy

Last edited by TipsyMcStagger; 01-12-2016 at 03:17 PM.

post #4 of 15 Old 01-14-2016, 11:56 AM
Stromthusiast!

I'm interested in this.............no knowledge to add, but waiting for those that do!

Editor - Minnesota Motorcycle Monthly
MSF instructor
Road Closed Promotions Lead Track Instructor
Former CRA Racer - RC51 Superbike / ZX-6 / F2

Current Bikes
2012 Triumph Street Triple R
2014 DL-1000 Vstrom ADV - Daily Bike

Previous Bikes
89' Katana 600 / 91 Zx-6 / 92' F2 / 89 Cb-1 / 00' VFR / 2004 CBR1000RR / 2005 dl650 / RC-51 Superbike

www.motorbyte.com
http://mnmotorcycle.com/
post #5 of 15 Old 01-14-2016, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by soderholmd View Post
I'm interested in this.............no knowledge to add, but waiting for those that do!
I decided to shelve it for the time being. Even though I can't test it right now (the tank is off while I do some farkling) it seems clear that having the emitters on only one side of the bulb is not ideal when you consider the stock halogen throws light in all directions.

Also - this will seemingly be the case for any LED bulb - the Vee2 uses a hard plastic dust cap on the low beam to seal the headlight vs. a rubber pass-through boot. Refitting the dust cap is problematic because (1) the wire exiting the LED bulb prevents the cap from seating without modification to the cap and (2) refitting the dust cap would significantly restrict/eliminate air circulation to the LED's heat sink.

Tipsy
post #6 of 15 Old 01-16-2016, 02:28 PM
Stromthusiast!

Led facing down. Cap has to be fastened or you'll be changing the whole thing in a month due to dust in the entire optic artifact. Remember that static atracts dust too, the seal is there for a reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 15 Old 01-16-2016, 02:59 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VStromArg View Post
Led facing down. Cap has to be fastened or you'll be changing the whole thing in a month due to dust in the entire optic artifact. Remember that static atracts dust too, the seal is there for a reason.

Are you saying he has it in upside down?
post #8 of 15 Old 01-16-2016, 04:58 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TipsyMcStagger View Post
It's not a cooling fan. It's a fanless heatsink. I have the bike in pieces (fuel tank/airbox removed, etc.) so I don't think it's wise to put power on the bike.

Tipsy
Probably no positive help, but on my Wee1, I've run it up to temp with no gauge console connected at all, air box on the bench, fuel tank hanging, with no issues at all.
And, with the size of that heat sink, any restriction at all to air flow, I believe you will be back in there shortly.
YMMV.

09 DL650 Silver
some others

Last edited by SinNH; 01-16-2016 at 05:01 PM.
post #9 of 15 Old 01-16-2016, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinNH View Post
And, with the size of that heat sink, any restriction at all to air flow, I believe you will be back in there shortly.
YMMV.
I agree. I don't think it's a good idea to run the bike without the dust cover. Nor do I think it's a good idea to restrict airflow to the heat sink.

The single sided LED really has become a secondary concern, given the dust cover scenario. So as I indicated earlier, I've decided not to install the LED for the time being.

Tipsy
post #10 of 15 Old 01-17-2016, 01:27 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TipsyMcStagger View Post
I agree. I don't think it's a good idea to run the bike without the dust cover. Nor do I think it's a good idea to restrict airflow to the heat sink.

The single sided LED really has become a secondary concern, given the dust cover scenario. So as I indicated earlier, I've decided not to install the LED for the time being.

Tipsy

I installed the LED headlight bulbs on my V2 and removed the dust covers. There is no issues whatsoever. I was also unsure about it then I believe it may have been a rep from Cyclops said that it's fine and I went ahead and no issues at all. Just do it and you'll be happy with the results.

-John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode