Fuel Indicator Question - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

1Likes
  • 1 Post By eagleeye

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 01-10-2016, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Fuel Indicator Question

When I fill the tank to full (at the bottom of the filler neck) it only takes between 15-19 miles before the full/6th tick drops off which seems very short, if this the same for everyone else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-10-2016, 12:42 AM
Stromthusiast!

That first indicator seems to come and go at it's whim. Sometimes it shows, sometimes it don't.
From experience my 04 Wee will be at 1/2 tank when the second bar goes out. The next couple bars go more quickly. The last bar lies about what is there.
I've had the flashing bar for many miles and fill up to find out I have 1.3 gallons left...if one believe it holds 5.8 gallons.
Best to run yours and check how much you have left.
I used to be able to fill an empty tank on previous bikes and know how much it holds. With the 04 Wee, I really don't know. But I fill mine to the brim when I refill. None of this vague bottom of the filler neck.
What kind of gas you put in and wind conditions will vary the mpg you get.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-10-2016, 01:25 AM
Stromthusiast!

Mine will stay on full until just under 100km, it starts to drop a lot faster when under 1/2 tank, but as mentioned the empty mark is misleading, One time I went to zero remaining due to a closed gas station, and made an attempt to get to another that was 50km away, but only made it 40km before running out of gas. I guess that would be -40. Luckily I was saved by some other bikers with a spare gas can. The best method of gas control is to know how many km you get to a tank and fill up at a certain point.

post #4 of 10 Old 01-10-2016, 08:09 PM
Stromthusiast!

My first bar disappears at 20-25 miles.
post #5 of 10 Old 01-10-2016, 08:39 PM
Stromthusiast!

I might get 10-20 km on a full tank when the first bar disappears (Vee, 2009). This appears to be normal and is at first disconcerting. However with time you get used to it. I use the gas level indicator in conjunction with distance traveled to guesstimate the amount of gas left in my tank. On long trips I carry spare gas.

Brian
post #6 of 10 Old 01-10-2016, 11:40 PM
Stromthusiast!

On my Vee I can go well over 50 miles when the last bar on the tank gauge is flashing. I never know whether to trust that or not, so I usually don't push it. Mine too will have over a gallon left when the last bar starts to flash. AND, it does hold 5.8 US gallons. I have put over 5.7 gallons in it when I couldn't find a station coming through Utah. I'm thinking a Rotopax is in my future, as well.

Note to those carrying extra fuel tanks: Liquids do not expand at higher altitudes. Gasses do. If you are in mountainous areas, fill your extra tank to the brim to keep pressure from building up in the tank and perhaps forcing a leak. Same for water bottles or anything else with air in it. I learned this doing motorhome travelling.
post #7 of 10 Old 01-10-2016, 11:58 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Well, as long as there is a thread about the fuel guage, let me say that late this fall i bought a K9650 so haven't run much fuel through it yet.
However one day I was riding and looked down and my low fuel indicator was flashing. Now on my cruiser in 10-20 miles I would switch it on reserve when it started sputtering and could go another 40 miles if need be.
I found that there is NO petcock and NO reserve.
I've been riding for very many years and have had lots of bikes and I can tell you that I have never owned a bike that didn't have a petcock and reserve.
I was told it is because of fuel injection. WHY is this? I don't like it but I've got no choice other than to get used to it, so I will.
I'll say one other thing: I'm glad that I bought that rotopak fuel cell!

2009 Suzuki DL650
2005 Yamaha RSTD
2002 Triumph Bonneville
1980 Yamaha XS650 chopper

The Best Bike is the Bike You Like
post #8 of 10 Old 01-11-2016, 01:44 PM
Stromthusiast!

When I had my cruiser, it did not have a fuel gauge at all, so I had to rely on the trip meter to know if I was low on gas, or just let it run out and flip to reserve. This was an archaic way of doing it IMO. With modern bikes, we now can see at a glance what the fuel level is, although not hugely accurate, it is at least useful.

There is a bit of a reserve anyways, just let your bike run down to negative remaining and see how far you get. I managed -40km before bike really ran out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleeye View Post
Well, as long as there is a thread about the fuel guage, let me say that late this fall i bought a K9650 so haven't run much fuel through it yet.
However one day I was riding and looked down and my low fuel indicator was flashing. Now on my cruiser in 10-20 miles I would switch it on reserve when it started sputtering and could go another 40 miles if need be.
I found that there is NO petcock and NO reserve.
I've been riding for very many years and have had lots of bikes and I can tell you that I have never owned a bike that didn't have a petcock and reserve.
I was told it is because of fuel injection. WHY is this? I don't like it but I've got no choice other than to get used to it, so I will.
I'll say one other thing: I'm glad that I bought that rotopak fuel cell!
post #9 of 10 Old 01-11-2016, 03:54 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
reserve

There is a bit of a reserve anyways, just let your bike run down to negative remaining and see how far you get. I managed -40km before bike really ran out.

Yeah, this summer I'll get to know my bike and what I can get away with as far miles per tank.
But it will be reassuring to have the rotopak while I'm figuring this out though.
Bugzy likes this.

2009 Suzuki DL650
2005 Yamaha RSTD
2002 Triumph Bonneville
1980 Yamaha XS650 chopper

The Best Bike is the Bike You Like
post #10 of 10 Old 01-11-2016, 08:47 PM
$tromtrooper

Mine stayed all bars until about 90 miles before. Then, last summer the top bar wouldn't register after filling the tank.
Shortly after, someone posted having the same problem and our Greywolf recommended putting some Techron in the tank to dissolve residue from the fuel which caused the sensor to stick. Try that. It worked for me!

'15 Tiger800 XRx
'99 Triumph Thunderbird Sport
'89 Honda NX250

"Why don't I have tattoos? For the same reason you don't put a bumper sticker on a Ferrari."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode