Clutch Slave Piston - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 01-03-2016, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Clutch Slave Piston

Been thinking of cleaning my front sprocket.
The service manual says to pull in the clutch lever and secure it.
What stops the slave piston from popping out and loosing all the fluid?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 01-03-2016, 12:48 PM
Stromthusiast!

Nothing, but the fluid does not leak out.

See the rant regarding the "clutch design is unreliable" for photos, discussion and a chuckle.
post #3 of 19 Old 01-03-2016, 12:50 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto View Post
Been thinking of cleaning my front sprocket.
The service manual says to pull in the clutch lever and secure it.
What stops the slave piston from popping out and loosing all the fluid?
That is how I always did it and I never had any issues except the one time I put the bolts back in wrong. Nothing ever popped out and no leaks.

post #4 of 19 Old 01-03-2016, 01:02 PM
Stromthusiast!

I think this should be on the Must Do list. When I did mine after the Alaska tour, I was surprised to see how much goo had built up in there. I mean it was clogged!
And if you do it, it makes it real easy to check the problematic battery ground and bolt. It sould be removed, cleaned and reset with Locktight. Unfortunately, mine seemed to already be welded in place.
post #5 of 19 Old 01-03-2016, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
DO NOT bind or squeeze the clutch lever, yes the piston can still work its way out and fly off.....then you have a serious mess. I have owned 2 1000's and done this slave area cleaning many many times......trust me. Also not a bad idea to "bind" the slave piston to the housing, you want it fully compressed when you reinstall anyways.
OzCrow and Stromaholic like this.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #6 of 19 Old 02-10-2016, 06:26 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B View Post
DO NOT bind or squeeze the clutch lever, yes the piston can still work its way out and fly off.....then you have a serious mess. I have owned 2 1000's and done this slave area cleaning many many times......trust me. Also not a bad idea to "bind" the slave piston to the housing, you want it fully compressed when you reinstall anyways.
Hey there Big B,

Not doubting your method, as a matter of fact I find it the most logical.

However, why then is there a recommendation to squeeze the clutch in the first place?

What is the benefit/reasoning behind squeezing/binding the clutch lever. Does it help with removal/installation?

I just don't get it. If at all, squeezing the clutch would push the piston out of limit and alignment right?

14' - Vstrom 1000 Adventure
74' - BMW R75/6
post #7 of 19 Old 02-10-2016, 06:45 PM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

There is only one reason to tie the clutch lever to the grip. To keep someone from squeezing it till it pops out the piston in the slave cylinder while you have it out. I have no idea where that idea comes from. But I know it has lead to owners messing up installations on clutch baskets by pushing the pressure plate out too far and getting it out of the slots it should be in.
I do NOT recommend tieing the clutch lever to the grip. Put a block of wood or something under it if you think there is a chance it will be tampered with, just don't tie it to the grip. That blocks the return hole for fluid and makes the piston act solid.
Brockie and kraut.burner like this.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
post #8 of 19 Old 02-11-2016, 04:34 AM
Stromthusiast!

Done mine without tieing the lever to the bars. I only put ziptie over the slave piston as it was working its way out while I was cleaning the front sprocket.

2017 DL1000 White
2014 DL1000 Red (sold)
2012 DL650 White (sold)
post #9 of 19 Old 02-11-2016, 03:52 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToadRide View Post
I think this should be on the Must Do list. When I did mine after the Alaska tour, I was surprised to see how much goo had built up in there. I mean it was clogged!
And if you do it, it makes it real easy to check the problematic battery ground and bolt. It sould be removed, cleaned and reset with Locktight. Unfortunately, mine seemed to already be welded in place.
Is this the ground affected by the recall? Anyone have a picture of its location?

-Gary
2014 V-Strom 1000 - Desert Khaki
2016 GSX-S1000FA
2012 DR650SE
2011 Burgman 400
2007 Honda Helix
2013 V-Strom 650 - sold
post #10 of 19 Old 02-11-2016, 05:08 PM
Cowboys aint easy to love

Quote:
Originally Posted by realshelby View Post
There is only one reason to tie the clutch lever to the grip. To keep someone from squeezing it till it pops out the piston in the slave cylinder while you have it out. I have no idea where that idea comes from. But I know it has lead to owners messing up installations on clutch baskets by pushing the pressure plate out too far and getting it out of the slots it should be in.
I do NOT recommend tieing the clutch lever to the grip. Put a block of wood or something under it if you think there is a chance it will be tampered with, just don't tie it to the grip. That blocks the return hole for fluid and makes the piston act solid.
There are probably a lot of guys like me -- when you're wrenching on your bike, it usually doesn't take too long before you do something that makes you feel like an idiot!

And then the advice in bold in realshelby's post above shows up, and I have to stare disbelievingly -- 'cause that's exactly what I did using an old broken ball-peen hammer handle. Suddenly I feel again like the genius I obviously am! (Fortunately old age allows me to forget the couple of other idiotic mistakes I made [and documented in a journal which is how I can relate them now] while replacing the clutch push rod seal on my DL1000K6 a while back.)

Stromless
'97 Honda Valkyrie

I believe in ... gravity!
"Everyone brings something to the party."
- Snoopy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode