2014 DL1000 Mods - merged - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 01-02-2016, 02:32 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

2014 DL1000 Mods - merged

I wanted to share what I have done to my 2014 DL1000 (not an Adventure) since I bought it the last week of August 2015.

I have made many changes and added a lot to it to make it MY bike so letís get started!

This is the bike as it sits with all the goodies - Nice looking. All the other parts/pictures will be in random order

I added a SW Motech engine guard - aluminum - I know some say its a bit flimsy but itís better than nothing and Iím not off road much anymore. I also added a Suzuki Center stand which works well but it does take some umph to get it in place when the bike is packed. But - Its doable.

20151226_191522_resized.jpg

Tank Bag - I chose the Suzuki large tank bag due to the weekend trips I take. It is a camp on bag which removes by pulling a small rope. The bag pops off and can be set aside to refuel. This is the bag I wanted because it said V-Strom on it butÖÖ the dealer checked with Suzuki and was tole that was just a preproduction bag in the photo and it now has Suzuki on it.

20151226_190219_resized.jpg

I modified the bag quite a bit by adding power and the controls for the heated gear I have. I cut a small hole in the bottom of the bag and ran a battery tender connection in and the power cord for my heated gear. As you can see, the white and black connectors come out of the front of the bag for easy connections to my coat and pants. Inside the small zippered compartment is the heat controller - very easy access when riding.

20151226_190243_resized.jpg

In addition, I added a few things inside the bag. First is a USB/Cig lighter. I soldered on a battery tender lead and plug it in when I ride. If you do this, meter the leads! I got the first attempt wrong and blew the port out! Anyhow, that gives me power for my GPS and all my USB devices such as my phone, Uclear etc. I have an LED light in there as well for night time. I also have a small cable and lock that I can slip through my helmet and tank bag and lock it. Normally I can toss the helmet in a pannier but this works well for when they are full. Oh and I have a garage door opener in there too.

20151226_190334_resized.jpg

While we are at it in that area of the bike - I added Koso heated grips with the switch built in to the left hand grip. I really didn't like the controller that you had to mount on your handlebars that the Oxford grips have.

They are about $40.00 more but you have to try things to see if they are better and they are! I will keep Koso grips on all my bikes in the future. They heat very well and I have ridden in mid weight gloves in 35 degrees and they have kept me warm.

Oh and if you are wondering about my heated pants and coat liner, they are Firstgear heated liner, Firstgear Heated pant liner. Both are available at Revzilla for about $160 each. The heat controller I have is Gerbing 12v dual (jacket and pants liner) controller. All said and done itís all worth every penny! One other thing to consider is that the heated liner is heated up to the collar which creaps into your helmet!

20151226_190531_resized.jpg

Firstgear Heated Pant Liner - RevZilla

Firstgear Heated Jacket Liner - RevZilla

See my next post for more changes!
Unshavencanuck likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-02-2016, 02:46 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

2014 DL1000 Mods - Part 2

Next is my Garmin. I used the SW-Motech GPS mount. Itís close to the bag and easy to power. I do like the ones I have seen that are at the windshield but the stock cig lighter sucks so I didnít want to run that route.

SW-MOTECH Vibration-Damped Quick-Lock GPS Mounting Base for Suzuki V-Strom 1000 '14-'16 | TwistedThrottle.com

20151226_190638_resized.jpg

Power is next. I added a Fuzeblock which has a built in relay, very easy to install and can manage 6 additional circuits. I ran my additional lighting there and its all fused.

For my additional lighting I added 2 10w LEDs that are not switched and come on with the bike. I added 2 27w lights too that are switched. I added a switch to the handle bars to control them. If you turn them all on you light up the world! I will be changing the high and low beam headlights to LED this winter.

20151226_191123_resized.jpg
20151226_191307_resized.jpg
20151226_191329_resized.jpg

The windshield I chose is a Pugh. They run 90.00 at Revzillla and not a scratch on it after 4000 miles.

Puig Touring Windscreen Suzuki V-Strom 1000 2014-2016 - RevZilla

For the panniers I got some battery operated lights at Walmart and used Velcro to add them into my panniers.
20151226_191846_resized.jpg

Seat: The stock seat is fairly hard but after about 3000-4000 miles it broke in nicely. I can ride all day but I normally use an airhawk for long rides.

Well thats it for now - I hope you get some ideas of things you can do to your bike!
post #3 of 16 Old 01-02-2016, 04:27 AM
Stromthusiast!

All looks good mate If you open the dash up, you can wire from the back of the power socket to the GPS if it's mounted at the screen. What LED bulbs to you plan on using? I'm researching the same mod at the moment and any info is appreciated. Cheers

Never argue with an idiot.......they drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!

post #4 of 16 Old 01-02-2016, 04:30 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromaholic View Post
All looks good mate If you open the dash up, you can wire from the back of the power socket to the GPS if it's mounted at the screen. What LED bulbs to you plan on using? I'm researching the same mod at the moment and any info is appreciated. Cheers

Im not sure yet - I will consider anything at the moment!
post #5 of 16 Old 01-02-2016, 05:15 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:

I have eBay ones in my 650XT and Cyclops ones in my V2. They both work and look great but if I were you I'd go with the Cyclops LED bulbs.

-John
post #6 of 16 Old 01-02-2016, 05:21 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Those heated grips look pretty cool but how do you control the heat?

-John
post #7 of 16 Old 01-02-2016, 11:17 AM
Stromthusiast!

Go to the KOSO web site. The grips are the AM-111. Not sure which length.
post #8 of 16 Old 01-02-2016, 12:38 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
What LED bulbs to you plan on using? I'm researching the same mod at the moment and any info is appreciated. Cheers
I ordered a 3S fanless H7 from eBay/China. It hasn't arrived yet.

I was in Hong Kong and Shenzhen last week and couldn't haggle a better price than I could get on eBay, so I figured why spend more and have to drag them around the world?

It was good to see them in person while in China, though. They are very compact. If the results are good, I'll order the H11 later on. The V-Strom high beam is an H9 but it appears the LED's are sold as interchangable replacemnts for H8/H9/H11.

Tipsy

post #9 of 16 Old 01-02-2016, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Not sure why you started a separate thread for the same subject/topic, don't be surprised if I end up merging the two.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom ďDoloresĒ

post #10 of 16 Old 01-02-2016, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B View Post
Not sure why you started a separate thread for the same subject/topic, don't be surprised if I end up merging the two.
There is a limit on the amount of pictures per thread so that's why it is in 2 parts. If you can merge them - awesome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode