CA brake/tail light access - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 01-01-2016, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

CA brake/tail light access

Greetings. This is my first post.

I am trying to add additional brake and tail lights. So I need access to those wires. I gather from another post that the connection is at the very rear of the bike. My problem is I have an evaporative canister just behind the seat that blocks the view of what is behind it.

Does anyone know if the brake / tail light connection is behind the canister? If so does anyone know how to get the canister out of the way? I took the two screws out at the front of the canister but it is still stuck.

Thanks for your input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-01-2016, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

By the way the bike is a 2014 DL1000A. I posted in that forum but when you search for posts on the website I am not sure that would be obvious.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-02-2016, 02:02 AM
Stromthusiast!

Maybe go over to Eastern Beaver and get a harness jumper, Then you won't need to cut any wires. There is a connector near the battery under the seat for it, another option would be a different cable from Eastern Beaver that plugs into your tail light connector and gives you access to various wires. Have a look

Eastern Beaver Home

post #4 of 5 Old 01-02-2016, 12:51 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanR View Post
Does anyone know if the brake / tail light connection is behind the canister? If so does anyone know how to get the canister out of the way? I took the two screws out at the front of the canister but it is still stuck.

Thanks for your input.
Yes, the connector is physically plugged into the tailight, so it's at the very rear of your bike, behind the EVAP canister. I don't have a California model, so I'm not familiar with what's involved with removing the canister, but I'm sure it's not too difficult. Once the canister is removed, you can follow the wires to the tail/brake light. If you look into the tail (shining a flash light helps), you'll see the connector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugMagnet View Post
Maybe go over to Eastern Beaver and get a harness jumper, Then you won't need to cut any wires. here is a connector near the battery under the seat for it...
Eastern Beaver Home
The EB harness is useful but the OP will still need to access the stock connector and the only way to do so is to remove the EVAP canister.

EDIT: I just realized BugMagnet is referring to the EB rear brake light switch adapter that plugs in just at the rear of the fuel tank. I don't know if that connector has constant power for the tail light, though. Most use that adapter to control switched power to a relay for an auxiliary fuse block.

The EB brake/tail light signal adapters are found at this link. You'll need to scroll to the very bottom to find the adapters for the 2014+.

Tipsy

Last edited by TipsyMcStagger; 01-02-2016 at 01:19 PM.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-02-2016, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Thanks big magnet and tipsy.

I did take the evaporate canister out which is secured by 3 screws, one of which is all the way at the back end of it with no access.

So I had to take the rear cowl off to get access. Once that was all off I saw the tail/brake connector, which as you state, plugs right into the tail/ brake light housing. The EB connector plugs right in.

When I reinstalled the evaporate canister I kept the housing and the 3 screws for it off and secured it with a large piece of Velcro. That way I can move it out of the way in the future (if necessary) without having to take all of the other stuff off first. A lot less work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode