RANTING: Clutch design is unreliable in the Vee2 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

64Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 115 Old 12-31-2015, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Angry RANTING: Clutch design is unreliable in the Vee2

About 2 weeks ago, in the middle of a ride, my brother's Vee2 started leaking fluid from the lower clutch pump ( a.k.a. clutch release cylinder).

Long story short, he took it to the dealer for an emergency repair and found A LOT of mud, sand and stuff into the pump. It made its way inside the rubber seals and caused the leak. After quickly cleaning and refilling, the clutch system came back to operating condition. It worked fine since. Today, we received a new pump, and decided to replace it.

We took our time and removed maybe a spoonful of dirt from the chamber, and the pushing pin was coated with a thick layer of grease and mud. Whenever the clutch lever was pushed, dirt would go inside the rubber retainer in the engine, and when it was released, dirt would come inside the seal of the pump.

After a quick inspection, we found out the clutch push pin runs unprotected less than half and inch from the front sprocket. No wonder the clutch pump chamber was filled with the nasty stuff. The two draining holes in the cover plate are just not enough and the way the pin is constantly showered by the chain, is less than amusing.

Prior to reassembling. we decided to cover the pin with a rubber hose. The hose is long enough to cover the pin completely and won't move when the clutch is operated. It's loose enough to let the pin move freely but not too wide to get trapped by the chain.

Would you like to share your impressions?

Thanks.

I is poor doge... I no know bikes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 115 Old 12-31-2015, 11:54 PM
Stromthusiast!

I can see another recall.......

Never argue with an idiot.......they drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!
post #3 of 115 Old 01-01-2016, 12:52 AM
Stromthusiast!

this setup has been around for eons. They (Suzuki and all the other makers basically) are not about to change any time soon.
should be part of your monthly clean to do inside the countershaft sprocket cover.

Tom R
Big B and LittleMike like this.

"No Fear" just means you are not going fast enouh yet. life begins when you get outside that comfort zone.
Current rides
18 Busa
14 Vee2
13 Husky TR 650 Terra
08 Busa(now sold)
07Vee1(now sold)
02 Busa (sold)
97 TLs
97 TRX
92 NSr
Current Projects
38 BSA Goldie
Upcoming projects,perhaps by the time I get retired just maybe
83 GSX11(gunna be bought forward now as I don't have a going across frame 4)
71 A100

post #4 of 115 Old 01-01-2016, 01:09 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I want to see a picture of your fix. Regardless of suggesting this be a normal maintenance item, I would like to see what a preventative fix would look like.
Adventurefiend likes this.

13' KLR 650, 06' GL1800
"No good decision was ever made in a swivel chair" George S. Patton
post #5 of 115 Old 01-01-2016, 01:25 AM
Stromthusiast!

Find some rubber tubing that's JUST a loose fit over the shaft, cut it to length, slip it over. Forget it.

The 650 has a similar problem but without quite such serious consequences.

Pete
post #6 of 115 Old 01-01-2016, 01:28 AM
Stromthusiast!

Just had mine apart and cleaned the area thoroughly. The pushrod does seem rather "exposed", and grime will obviously work its' way along. I seem to remember an earlier Suzuki I owned had a casting separating the pushrod area from the sprocket cavity. What size hose did you use? I.D and O.D if at all possible. Cheers

Never argue with an idiot.......they drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!
post #7 of 115 Old 01-01-2016, 01:29 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteW View Post
Find some rubber tubing that's JUST a loose fit over the shaft, cut it to length, slip it over. Forget it.

The 650 has a similar problem but without quite such serious consequences.

Pete
Bring back the cable, I reckon!
Toto likes this.

post #8 of 115 Old 01-01-2016, 02:17 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Horrible title for thread, as the design is not unreliable. Make the mod like you did, use less gooey and sticky lube, and keep the slave area clean per regular maintenance. It is really that simple.....seriously.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #9 of 115 Old 01-01-2016, 02:28 AM
Stromthusiast!

8mm I.D fuel hose....problem solved!

post #10 of 115 Old 01-01-2016, 11:48 AM
Stromthusiast!

IMO, none of these fixes or a 'monthly' preventative cleaning should be necessary on a bike these days. If this is indeed a problem, it's very disappointing.
Swlewers likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode