Vee2 versus Honda African Twin...? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 62 Old 12-21-2015, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Vee2 versus Honda African Twin...?

Hi folks sorry if this question is a repeat, I did a Google search but came up with nothing (strange I know). Point me in the right direction with links if possible.

Now that Honda Canada has released the pricing of the new AT (~$2K more than the Vee2), I'm now wondering/researching between the two bikes.

I thought the Honda was going to be more like $18K versus the $14K in Canada so it was never part of the equation, I was 100% set on the Vee2, but now.......?

My riding with be 80/20 twisty pavement versus foresty road type gravel. I have a CB500X for the knarlier dirt so this new bike will replace my current cruiser and sport tourer.

I know on paper the Vee2 seems to suit my needs better with the smaller front tire, a bit lighter, less $ etc. But I was trying to keep up with a buddy on his 990 in the paved twisties on my CB500X so I'm not sure the 19" versus 21" arguement on the pavement is such a noticeable difference for my ability level.

I do like that the Vee2 is less $ (I owned a '09 Wee as well), reliable, good support and seems to be a well thought out and performing bike, where as the AT is new out of the box this year and who knows how it is going to make out (but then its a Honda so I'm pretty confident in its abilities for a 1st year bike).

Anyways, was interested in your perspectives, thanks!

Last edited by scharfg; 12-24-2015 at 04:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 Old 12-21-2015, 09:49 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
On road the Vee2 will likely be a bit better "but nobody really knows yet" true off-road the comparison will be apples to oranges, with the AT being a total runaway winner. The AT will be a direct competitor to the KTM Adventure family, where the Stroms will likely always be a road bike first and foremost.
richlandrick and Toto like this.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #3 of 62 Old 12-21-2015, 11:57 PM
Stromthusiast!

I hold my 2014 V2 in great esteem - an increasingly good bike especially as you modify things to suit you.

But the Africa Twin would most likely have been its replacement had the fantasy of "200 kgs wet" proposed in some articles been true instead of simple wishes.

It will be better off road but not the pillion carrying, luggage hold-all that the V2 is for touring.
We2V2 likes this.

post #4 of 62 Old 12-22-2015, 09:56 AM
Stromthusiast!

Get the Honda if your like me mate, but I'm a bit more 50/50 on the ratio . but also have a shit hot V2 ADV!
post #5 of 62 Old 12-22-2015, 11:12 AM
Stromthusiast!

Towards the end of the summer I had the same conundrum as you: Wait for Honda Canada to release pricing on the Africa Twin, or jump on a V2 Adventure for $10,900. I decided to go for the V2 knowing Honda's reputation for Waaaaay overcharging for Canadian bikes.

Now that I know the price I gotta say that part of me is curious, but I still think I would take the V2. Mine is now decently farkled (exhaust, crash bars, entire compliment of luggage, windshield, seat etc) and I am still in way under Honda's asking price.

The V2 was purchased to be my foray into occasional ADV riding, maybe the Honda will be my next bike once it's been out for a couple years and there are oodles of farkles available for it and I am more serious about off-road.
supernewf71 and We2V2 like this.

2014 Suzuki DL1000 - Pearl White
2010 Honda VFR1200 - Candy Prominence Red

Last edited by symbiotix; 12-22-2015 at 11:16 AM.
post #6 of 62 Old 12-22-2015, 11:22 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
so i read a review by tourtech (i think) and they put the AT above the f800 gsa but below the the ktm 1050.
both bike more dirt oriented then the Vee2
i'll be honest my biggest problem with the Vee off road was the lack of a ABS kill switch

2014 vee2- OEM:skid plate,heated grips,mirror extenders,centerstand. aftermarket:sw-motech: risers,trax 45L side cases 38L top case,pipe valve guard, kickstand foot enlarger. corbin/holshot heated seat ,MRA VarioTouringScreen,burkbusters storm,PC8, kaoko throttle lock, scorpion titanium slip-on, denali airbomb,scottoiler,denalli dx.pc5+autotune R&G:radiator guard, pipe slider K&N:air filter touratech:crashbars, ABS kill switch,dryspec tool tube,cyclops LED headlights,doubleback mirrors,helmet guardian,twowheels shorty levers,aftermarket off road rear brake lever,shorai lithium battery.

Last edited by alon; 12-22-2015 at 11:25 AM.
post #7 of 62 Old 12-22-2015, 11:50 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scharfg View Post
Hi folks......but then its a Hnnda so I'm pretty confident in its abilities for a 1st year bike).
Please do not bet on it just because it is a Honda. I test drove a new Honda Fit car (first year model from their new production facility in Mexico) and left the dealership in disbelief at how poor the quality was. I was shocked because I was expecting a much higher quality based on my experience owning Honda vehicles in the past.
richlandrick likes this.
post #8 of 62 Old 12-22-2015, 12:31 PM
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

I guess this thread is about predicting the future based on the past.

Honda deserves a good reputation, but......

XRL650 - soft rocker arms .... Honda did nothing about it.

V-four sport bikes that would seize due to oil starvation..... Honda did nothing about it.

ST1300 radiator waste heat burning blisters on riders legs (not an urban legend!)...... Honda denied it or a while. The US warranty manager eventually admitted it and was soon "no longer in that position." Honda eventually implemented fixes developed by the owners of the previous year bikes while admitting nothing and doing nothing for the those that purchased the previous year bikes.

Goldwing frames breaking in half while on the road...... They took care of that one.

The list goes on and on.

In all likely-hood the AT will be well engineered and of high quality, but as discussed above, I'll bet the Vee2 is as better an all around bike than the AT that it is compared to the KTM adventure. Motorcycles design is about compromises. The V-strom has been king of meeting the needs of an all-roads market.

No miracles in design have come to pass yet to change that. As much as I like the better off road performance in the promise of the AT design, I will be shocked if it is as good cross country with luggage and a pillion as the Vee2. I'll bet it also does not perform as well in the twisties. For most owners, the Vee2 will likely better suit their needs, but the mystique of a fully capable Paris to Dakar style adventure bike will sell boat loads of ATs.

+2, we will know soon enough.

I'm very conflicted about the AT.

Last edited by richlandrick; 12-22-2015 at 03:23 PM.
post #9 of 62 Old 12-22-2015, 12:57 PM
Stromthusiast!

That looks like a fantastic bike, but as usual, if you want the extra stuff, you have to pay for it. The switchable ABS is nice although I didn't have any issues riding on forest roads with ABS on my V2, the TC was causing me some grief going up hills though, so definitely need to be able to turn that one off, which we can.

Spoke wheels are not a huge improvement IMO. The larger 21" front wheel is a marginal improvement.

For me I would need to sit on one, ride it, and look at details more before deciding to spend the extra money. Is the quality better? Suzuki paint could certainly be better. Honda is famous for using plastic everywhere, I expect this will be the same.
post #10 of 62 Old 12-22-2015, 02:23 PM
Stromthusiast!

comparing msrp to msrp, there's no doubt I would go with the Africa Twin. Here in the states, the AT is only a few hundred more than the V2. But seeing as how I couldn't really afford either at msrp, and I lucked up with Suzuki offering killer rebates, and finding a demo model at a steal of a deal, I couldn't resist upgrading my wee2 to a V2. I'm very happy with it for what I have invested in it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode