Ever stripped engine block threads out? I did... - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 12-17-2015, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Ever stripped engine block threads out? I did...

Hi all,

If you have never accidentally over-torqued a bolt and stripped the aluminum engine block threads out of a hole, it'll almost make you puke when you feel the sickening give-way of a wrench when it breaks threads loose. Here are the threads that I unscrewed from the bolt when it came out:

Even worse, it was my new baby, 2014 new old stock DL1000, only 126 miles on it.

My bolt (M6 x 1) was stripped while I was tightening a bolt that uses an engine bolt on the left side lower cover, rear. It was for my SW Motech skid plate, which I like the looks of very much.

I did it, and as embarrassing and awful as it is, it can be fixed. I bought the Heli Coil set on Amazon for under $30 delivered and it's a few simple but **very** nerve-wracking steps....

1. Drill out the stripped hole to the appropriate depth. I measured it and put blue painters tape on my drill bit so I wouldn't over penetrate and stopped at the right depth.

fear scale of 1 to 10: about a 4

2. Tap the hole with the 1/4" tap tool. Only took about 5 minutes. Lubed the hole first. Went a turn and a half, backed it up a bit, turned some more. Sprayed out the bit with air a few times during this process.

Fear scale 1 to 10: 9.5

The thought of damaging these threads was echoing in my head. I was a first timer and always took wood shop over metal shop in high school. Wish I hadn't now..

3. Thread the helicoil into the new threads.

Fear scale 1 to 10: 2

No problem. It turned in with a little bit of friction, not much, because the thread coil is sprung a little bit and needs a tiny bit of compression.

4. Tap out the cross-bit at the end of the heli coil with the tool. It breaks off easily with a tap. Sprayed air in to be sure it was out.

New threads ready. Problem solved!!!
I'm ecstatic I got this done. It took me 2 nights of re-watching YouTube videos to get my brain ready.

It's all better now:

The left side cover is back on and the bolts are all on, only hand tightened. I'm waiting for my new torque wrench to show up. It's a 7-35 ft lb model with a digital converter on it for Newton Meters.

I think the torque spec is 9.6 N-m for these engine bolts.

Never again will I torque without the proper torque wrench....

Learn from my mistakes, any of you that are not seasoned wrenches and do not have the "feel" or the proper torquing measurement...

Best and Happy Holidays...

2014 Vstrom DL1000... der RödStröm

2002 Suzuki Intruder 1500 -gone
1999 Polaris Victory -gone
1976 Honda CB550 four -gone
1986 Honda XL650R -gone
1975 Suzuki RM250 -gone
1978 Suzuki DS100 -gone

Last edited by scribe308; 12-17-2015 at 10:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 12-17-2015, 10:23 AM
$tromtrooper

That sucks, but glad you got it squared away!

Tipsy
post #3 of 21 Old 12-17-2015, 10:37 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Garage
Good post, and I hope it helps someone out.

and Kudo's to you on fixing it correctly.

2009 Suzuki DL650
2005 Yamaha RSTD
2002 Triumph Bonneville
1980 Yamaha XS650 chopper

The Best Bike is the Bike You Like

post #4 of 21 Old 12-17-2015, 11:17 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scribe308 View Post
It took me 2 nights of re-watching YouTube videos to get my brain ready.
good job, I always forget youtube as a source of instructional videos

when I made exactly the same mistake on my XV920r many years ago, youtube wasn't around and I had to figure out how to install a helicoil from the paper instructions that come with the coils

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

IBA#9560
Copyright (c) 2019
post #5 of 21 Old 12-17-2015, 01:17 PM
Stromthusiast!

Nice work! It happens to everyone, especially when you're working with aluminum. Glad you were able to successfully overcome that! Gotta have a torque wrench on bikes these days.
We2V2 likes this.
post #6 of 21 Old 12-17-2015, 04:10 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Garage
yikes, it's such a sickening feeling when you doing do something to a brand new bike. When I had about 20 miles on mine I was installing heated grips and managed to glue the throttle tube to the bars. Not as bad as yours, but I had it take everything off and use some sandpaper to clean the glue off!

2018 Vstrom 1000
2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Nomad
post #7 of 21 Old 12-17-2015, 04:21 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
You need to have a bottle of Jack Daniels sitting near you. This is needed as a reward or compensation depending on success or not.
We2V2 likes this.

I know nuffink, I see nuffink, It was not me, I was not here.
IBA #45920
FarRider #299
2015 Wee Strom "Piglet"
Givi crash bars, Barkbusters, Ravetech Bash plate, Ravetech Rad guard, Ravetech over dash Ram mount, Hyperlite flashing brake lights, Madstad bracket and screen, Augustus wind deflectors, Spot 3, UHF two way radio, Garmin Zumo GPS, Starcom intercom, Fuze block.
SW Motech Centre stand, Suzuki power outlet. Bike Alarm, Screaming Banshee horn, Led Flood lights, Tool tube, Andy Strapz Expedition soft panniers and frames.
post #8 of 21 Old 12-17-2015, 04:47 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenny80 View Post
yikes, it's such a sickening feeling when you doing do something to a brand new bike. When I had about 20 miles on mine I was installing heated grips and managed to glue the throttle tube to the bars. Not as bad as yours, but I had it take everything off and use some sandpaper to clean the glue off!

I bet if we made a thread about stupid things that's happened to our new bikes we'd all have a bunch of stories. I dropped my 650 when taking it out one early morning but luckily my house caught it before it fully went down. Scratched up the plastic a little. On my 2014 GSXR 1000 I took the fairings off to do some work and knocked one over or kicked it (can't remember) and scratched those fairings probably within a month of owning it.
tenny80 likes this.

-John
post #9 of 21 Old 12-17-2015, 04:54 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
Probably everyone has had that "sickening give-way" of the wrench at one point or another. the luckier ones did it to something unimportant or easily replaceable. The rest of us, like you, learned to install heli-coils.
post #10 of 21 Old 12-17-2015, 06:00 PM
Stromthusiast!

Scarey, hang yourself in the garage business there!
Nice fix and glad you did not reach for the rope...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode