New V-Strom 1000 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 12-15-2015, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Garage
New V-Strom 1000

Good morning
I have been looking at the new adventure bikes on the market, BMW, Yamaha, KTM, and the Suzuki.
All of the Suzuki owners I have talked to love their V-Strom.
I will be riding 90% on the road and 10% in the dirt.
Has anyone had an issue with the oil filter being so vulnerable?

Thank you for your comments in advance
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 12-15-2015, 04:23 PM
Stromthusiast!

not at all with a skid plate.
scribe308 likes this.
post #3 of 22 Old 12-15-2015, 06:57 PM
Ago
Stromthusiast!

not at all WITHOUT a skid plate...
I don't do much off-roading other than the occasional gravel road at lower-ish speeds.
Big B likes this.

post #4 of 22 Old 12-15-2015, 09:10 PM
Stromthusiast!

With a skid-plate, no probs. Without a skid-plate, one stray rock while doing your 10% dirt riding will stuff your whole day

Never argue with an idiot.......they drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!
post #5 of 22 Old 12-15-2015, 09:34 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
no issues at all without a skid plate

2018 Vstrom 1000
2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Nomad
post #6 of 22 Old 12-15-2015, 09:50 PM
Stromthusiast!

I would be interested to know how many DL oil filters have been punctured by stray rocks/gravel - yes I agree a holed filter or Radiator will ruin your whole day!! In "typical forum style" - though not suggesting it happens here, "I hav'nt tried this myself....But you could try cutting down a rubber stubbie cooler - the type made out of thick wet suit type material and jamming it over the filter? this would soften the impact from stray debris and might be enough to make a possible tear into a dent" ??
OzCrow likes this.

Paul and Dixie and our V2
DL1000A 2015. SW-Motec crash bars and skid plate,Givi Airflo screen,Givi rear Hugger,Factory low seat,Barkbusters with Storm guards,Factory Tank Protector, Factory centre stand,RadGuard Radiator Guard,home made top box adaptor plate with poverty top box,Factory hard panniers,Zumo390LM,TKC70's,windshield lowered 50mm with custom mounting plates,motopressor tyre inflator,Virgins breath in the tyres,Barrett exhaust,AWESOME rider and pillion.
post #7 of 22 Old 12-15-2015, 10:06 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by We2V2 View Post
But you could try cutting down a rubber stubbie cooler - the type made out of thick wet suit type material and jamming it over the filter? this would soften the impact from stray debris and might be enough to make a possible tear into a dent" ??
A capital idea! If the oil filter was the primary worry driving skid plate purchase, this would be much simpler and cheap. Surprised there's not a commercial product available. That and a radiator guard and you'd be set.
We2V2 likes this.

-Gary
2014 V-Strom 1000 - Desert Khaki
2016 GSX-S1000FA
2012 DR650SE
2011 Burgman 400
2007 Honda Helix
2013 V-Strom 650 - sold
post #8 of 22 Old 12-15-2015, 10:18 PM
Ago
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
I would be interested to know how many DL oil filters have been punctured by stray rocks/gravel...
Good point.
I may be wrong, but I think you'd have to be doing some pretty hard-core dirt-riding to have a rock hit your filter so hard to cause debilitating damage; and if that's the type of riding you plan on doing, then I agree, a good skid plate is advisable.

Personally, I'm too much of a chicken to take a 500+ lb. bike through road conditions rough enough to trash my filter...
post #9 of 22 Old 12-16-2015, 01:13 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
I would be interested to know how many DL oil filters have been punctured by stray rocks/gravel - yes I agree a holed filter or Radiator will ruin your whole day!! In "typical forum style" - though not suggesting it happens here, "I hav'nt tried this myself....But you could try cutting down a rubber stubbie cooler - the type made out of thick wet suit type material and jamming it over the filter? this would soften the impact from stray debris and might be enough to make a possible tear into a dent" ??
I like the way you think, but would it melt on to the filter? Purely from an aesthetic point of view, I reckon the 'Stroms look 'unfinished' without the bashplate
We2V2 likes this.

Never argue with an idiot.......they drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!
post #10 of 22 Old 12-16-2015, 02:22 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

On the second day of a ride to Baja we took the dirt road to Coco's corner. The Strom 650 rider in our group did not have a skid plate and took a rock to his oil filter ending his ride. He had to be trucked to the nearest town...and to make a long story short that was the end of his Mexico ride.

When I bought my last strom I knew it would be a couple weeks before I could get a skid plate so I attached a small piece of carpet with a radiator hose clamp to the underside of the oil filter. That got me home (4,000 miles) with no issues.

I would not ride my strom any farther than necessary without a skid plate.
Stromaholic and We2V2 like this.

"Tombstone"
S-10
My Alaskan Adventure
http://2mbstonestravels.blogspot.com/2015/04/alaska-or-bust.html

Last edited by 2mstone; 12-16-2015 at 02:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode