just picked up the oem suzi grip warmers any install advise??? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 12-14-2015, 05:49 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

just picked up the oem suzi grip warmers any install advise???

hello all, i just dropped the $250 for the oem suzuki grip warmers, still think the adv vstrom should come with them but anyhoo was wondering if anyone else on here had installed them & had some pointers for guys like me getting ready to put them on my bike. seems like some dismantling required according to the instructions.
stefman722 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-14-2015, 06:09 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I'd also like to know for when I get around to installing mine!

- 2006 Suzuki GSX-R 750
- 2015 Suzuki V-Strom 1000
post #3 of 13 Old 12-14-2015, 12:12 PM
Stromthusiast!

i installed aftermarket grip heaters (for far less $ than oem) but the install process is the same. Actually, it's one step easier for you since, i assume, the oem warmers already have the proper connector to plug into the empty socket on the vee2. I had purchased the heated grip adapter from eastern beaver. The socket is located just above and behind the radiator on the left side of the bike. The only dismantling I had to do was to remove the pivot bolts on each side of the radiator in order to swing it forward to gain access to the plug. Very simple. Some on this board claim that that socket is not for heated gips, as it's only 3amp. I disagree. I havent tested it but it's got to be more than that since my grips are rated at 4a and i've run them on high w/o issue. Besides, that type of plug is the same one that suzuki uses for heated grips on the 650. They use a different type for the lower capacity accessory plug. If your oem grips have the same type of connector, then obviously suzuki intended this plug for the heated grips.
Other than that, installation is pretty simple. to help get the old gips off, stick a smallish screw driver in between the bars and grip and squirt a little rubbing alcohol in there. That helps them slide right off. Peel away any old glue residue. If your grips didnt' come with any grip glue, just use super glue - that's what i always use. Just be careful with glue around the throttle tube. you don't want that to get stuck.
VTOD likes this.

post #4 of 13 Old 12-14-2015, 12:20 PM
Stromthusiast!

Here's a picture of the heated grips connectors. The one on the left hopefully is whats on your grips, while the one on the right is on the bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2P090K-SMHM.jpg (42.0 KB, 38 views)
post #5 of 13 Old 12-14-2015, 12:21 PM
Stromthusiast!

No install advice maybe just send back and get the Oxfords advice.
Mr. Black likes this.
post #6 of 13 Old 12-14-2015, 03:49 PM
Stromthusiast!

Advice? I have OEM Suzuki warmers on my 650 and they barely do the job. Barely as in some heat at full power. Ironically, it has about 6 settings and only full power does anything. Can you return them?
post #7 of 13 Old 12-14-2015, 05:14 PM
Stromthusiast!

I would also suggests Oxfords. If you can do a swap. They have a few different grip patterns, work very well and are generally very reliable.
As far as fitting goes remove the tank for a nice clear look at the wiring route and where to bunch the excess wiring neatly.
On the throttle side try securing the wiring in a manner that doesn't make any sharp turns as you twist the throttle back and forward.

I have oxfords and put the throttle side on with the wires coming out directly inline with my thumb. This allows me to keep throttle on with an open hand and give my hand a break from gripping. A bit like a throttle rocker. This works very well after a few hours of hard riding.

I'll add also if your not comfortable with pulling bikes apart don't be afraid of getting someone else who is. Even if it costs you money it's small price compared to snapping off the fuel line because you weren't sure how to disconnect it properly. They are a bit of a bugger and don't allow much room to work with.
NVDucati likes this.

Last edited by OzCrow; 12-14-2015 at 05:22 PM.
post #8 of 13 Old 12-15-2015, 06:54 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzCrow View Post
I have oxfords and put the throttle side on with the wires coming out directly inline with my thumb. This allows me to keep throttle on with an open hand and give my hand a break from gripping. A bit like a throttle rocker.
Nice tip, OzCrow. I'm also about to install heated grips (Oxfords) but my add-on question might apply to the OEM grips as well.
The throttle tube on my 2014 V2 has raised "lip"(interior end) for the stock rubber grip to fit over so it will stay in place. Do people grind these off to let the new grip get closer to the switch box?
post #9 of 13 Old 12-15-2015, 08:39 PM
Stromthusiast!

Not sure about others but I have the OEM heated grips on 2 bikes. One is a 2006 and I installed on my 2008 after using them on the other bike. I got a great deal on an open box at a dealer for about $150. They work fantastic on both bikes.

These things are HOT! Rode home 3 hours in 27 degree fahrenheit temp when we purchased the 2006. I didn't get a mile before turning the heat down. I usually run with them at approx. 2/3 - 3/4 on the rheostat switch, not a ton of heat below that but it gets HOT at the top.

The hard part is finding the plug on existing harness. Search youtube and you should find a couple of videos. The instructions were crappy about where to find the plug. Mine was on left side kind of behind the radiator. Removed portions of fairing and loosed radiator to pull it away after I had spent tons of time looking in the wrong place.

What's the worst that can happen?
post #10 of 13 Old 12-15-2015, 09:07 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratbikerandy View Post
Not sure about others but I have the OEM heated grips on 2 bikes. One is a 2006 and I installed on my 2008 after using them on the other bike. I got a great deal on an open box at a dealer for about $150. They work fantastic on both bikes.

These things are HOT! Rode home 3 hours in 27 degree fahrenheit temp when we purchased the 2006. I didn't get a mile before turning the heat down. I usually run with them at approx. 2/3 - 3/4 on the rheostat switch, not a ton of heat below that but it gets HOT at the top.

The hard part is finding the plug on existing harness. Search youtube and you should find a couple of videos. The instructions were crappy about where to find the plug. Mine was on left side kind of behind the radiator. Removed portions of fairing and loosed radiator to pull it away after I had spent tons of time looking in the wrong place.
Take the airbox out makes it a LOT easier to run the wiring as well. While you're there seal up the non-waterproof connectors that may cause problems in the future, then, when you put the airbox back on, re-position the wiring on the back of it so it doesn't chafe on the tank.

Never argue with an idiot.......they drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode