I lowered my 2014 DL1000 ADV - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 Old 12-10-2015, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

I lowered my 2014 DL1000 ADV

I lowered my 2014V-2. Just got back from test riding it. Very, very pleased.
Mind you I could flat-foot the bike before I lowered it. I have a 32" inseam (with my feet side by side and a 30.5" inseam with my feet 24"apart). I lowered it one inch.
Bike is way better now! Nothing changes as far as turn-in etc. Had it up to 95+ for a minute or two, steady as ever. But it feels so much better with just that little bit of a lower center of gravity. It scrubs off that inkling of a circus act when you're sweeping back and forth at a high brisk pace. More natural. The other benefit was when I was in Downtown traffic. What that inch does is this: While I, as I said, could flat-foot it before, now I can do that with my feet 3-4 inches farther out on each side. Totally wipes out that tiny bit of extra attention you need when you stick the landing (come to a stop). Plus I can back up much easier.
It didn't cost very much and didn't take very long to do it.

I used the Adventure Tech plates. Good service, clear simple instructions.
uncaged likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 12-10-2015, 08:15 PM
Stromthusiast!

I would sometimes like to lower my bike also as its hard to "back up" at times! only drama is I tried using the centerstand after putting a 3/4" piece of wood under it - to simulate a lowered bike- and there was NO way I could get that sucker onto the centerstand

solution would be to cut n shut the stand i guess..
I might yet do it..considering I intend to keep the bike for a few years I already have the factory low seat as well!! jeez I must really be duck ! Quack Quack ! lol

Did you lower the front forks through the clamps as well?

Paul and Dixie and our V2
DL1000A 2015. SW-Motec crash bars and skid plate,Givi Airflo screen,Givi rear Hugger,Factory low seat,Barkbusters with Storm guards,Factory Tank Protector, Factory centre stand,RadGuard Radiator Guard,home made top box adaptor plate with poverty top box,Factory hard panniers,Zumo390LM,TKC70's,windshield lowered 50mm with custom mounting plates,motopressor tyre inflator,Virgins breath in the tyres,Barrett exhaust,AWESOME rider and pillion.
post #3 of 42 Old 12-10-2015, 08:55 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul n Dixie View Post
I would sometimes like to lower my bike also as its hard to "back up" at times! only drama is I tried using the centerstand after putting a 3/4" piece of wood under it - to simulate a lowered bike- and there was NO way I could get that sucker onto the centerstand

I might yet do it..considering I intend to keep the bike for a few years I already have the factory low seat as well!! jeez I must really be duck ! Quack Quack ! lol

You could sue the council for building footpaths too close to your arse....
eagleeye and We2V2 like this.

Never argue with an idiot.......they drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!

post #4 of 42 Old 12-10-2015, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:

Yes, I slide the fork tubes. And thanks for mentioning the centerstand. You are absolutely correct. I have waited to buy a centerstand until I did the lowering. I will get one in the next couple of weeks. I'll determine how much to shorten it by rolling the back wheel up onto boards until it gets easy. Likely 3/4- 1 inch. It is not really a high-tech modification. I happen to have a welder but some folks may choose to take it to a shop.
I suppose I should include the caveat: Never weld anything while it's attached to a modern motorcycle.
uncaged likes this.
post #5 of 42 Old 12-10-2015, 11:30 PM
Stromthusiast!

Maybe "we" could carry a short board 3/4 to 1" thick to place under the back tyre when parking,and keep the centerstand stock

??
NVDucati likes this.

DL1000A 2015. SW-Motec crash bars and skid plate,Givi Airflo screen,Givi rear Hugger,Factory low seat,Barkbusters with Storm guards,Factory Tank Protector, Factory centre stand,RadGuard Radiator Guard,home made top box adaptor plate with poverty top box,Factory hard panniers,Zumo390LM,TKC70's,windshield lowered 50mm with custom mounting plates,motopressor tyre inflator,Virgins breath in the tyres,Barrett exhaust,AWESOME rider and pillion.
post #6 of 42 Old 12-11-2015, 05:56 AM
Stromthusiast!

I had considered cable tying or velco a short board to the back tyre and just stopping the bike at that point to use the centerstand, but
the board could make the handling and suspension feel a bit "wooden". better idea would be to fit a larger rear wheel (18") or higher profile tyre! problem solved!!

post #7 of 42 Old 12-11-2015, 06:57 AM
Stromthusiast!

Whats an inch for travel if it makes your grin wider and you feel confident.. send me you centre stand and side stand i'll lower them for you guys no charge just post..
bring on the good times..
post #8 of 42 Old 12-11-2015, 06:53 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
I had considered cable tying or velco a short board to the back tyre and just stopping the bike at that point to use the centerstand, but
the board could make the handling and suspension feel a bit "wooden". better idea would be to fit a larger rear wheel (18") or higher profile tyre! problem solved!!
Your ingenuity astounds me, Paul Why not just adapt a Goldwing hydraulic centrestand.......though the wood would be cheaper What would you use? Hoop pine?

Never argue with an idiot.......they drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!
post #9 of 42 Old 12-11-2015, 09:06 PM
$tromtrooper

Lowering effects on center stand

Don't know if this helps but I'll give it a try. I lowered my 2011 Weestrom 3/4" front and back so I think the effect should be similar to the DL1000. The center stand is harder to use but can be used once you get the technique worked out. With stiff soled boots or shoes stand close beside the bike. Place right foot on the tang, right hand on the passenger rail, left hand on left handlebar. Straighten out you right leg with you full weight on the tang and pull straight up on the passenger rail at the same time. This works most of the time for me. However, I can't get the bike on the center stand with the bags heavily loaded. Too much weight for me to lift and not enough leverage. To put this in perspective I'm only 5'7" 165 pounds.

The other thing you will need to do is shorten the sidestand as it probably stands to vertical after lowering the bike .

I also agree with NVDucati. Lowering the bike does improve the handling.

Hope this helps.
We2V2 likes this.

Last edited by madstrom; 12-11-2015 at 11:00 PM.
post #10 of 42 Old 12-11-2015, 10:43 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromaholic View Post
Your ingenuity astounds me, Paul Why not just adapt a Goldwing hydraulic centrestand.......though the wood would be cheaper What would you use? Hoop pine?
Yes Hoop pine! as the wheels are colloqually known as "hoops!"

re the Honda stand, I shouldnt want to contaminate the Suzuki DNA...but granted a Goldwing stand might just be strong enough to support a laden V2....
Stromaholic and BanditDave like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
2014 dl1000 adv , lowering

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode