I lowered my 2014 DL1000 ADV - Page 3 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 42 Old 12-12-2015, 04:42 PM
Stromthusiast!

The concept/reasoning behind lowering an "Adventure" bike escapes me. Isn't it the clearance, longer travel suspension and seating position the purpose of the bike? By lowering the chassis you defeat the purpose of longer suspension travel. Changing seat heights and peg positions I can understand, but why not just buy a more suitable bike in the first place?
Big B likes this.

Never argue with an idiot.......they drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 42 Old 12-12-2015, 06:36 PM
Stromthusiast!

U really think an inch will make a difference?
post #23 of 42 Old 12-12-2015, 07:10 PM
Stromthusiast!

Dropping the forks through 15mm allows me to hit the bashplate while cornering. 15mm = 0.590551 inch. 25mm [1 inch ] fork travel takes you back to 135mm travel.....almost in sport bike territory

Never argue with an idiot.......they drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!

Last edited by Stromaholic; 12-12-2015 at 07:12 PM.

post #24 of 42 Old 12-12-2015, 07:20 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radish View Post
I like the tassel idea. Do we have to get chrome bits for it and dress like pirates as well?

Coops.
Nope, you can keep dressing like a BMW rider
Radish likes this.

2009 Suzuki DL650
2005 Yamaha RSTD
2002 Triumph Bonneville
1980 Yamaha XS650 chopper

The Best Bike is the Bike You Like
post #25 of 42 Old 12-12-2015, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromaholic View Post
The concept/reasoning behind lowering an "Adventure" bike escapes me. Isn't it the clearance, longer travel suspension and seating position the purpose of the bike? By lowering the chassis you defeat the purpose of longer suspension travel. Changing seat heights and peg positions I can understand, but why not just buy a more suitable bike in the first place?
"By lowering the chassis you defeat the purpose of longer suspension travel." I can see that you don't understand. The suspension travel does not change at all. Neither the front or rear forks / shock are touched. As long as you don't go beyond the margin whereby a tire could touch the bottom triple tree or rear fender nothing as regards the stroke or dampening changes. The rear plates do (mathematically) add more leverage against the rear spring. So if before the lowering you had decided to take a couple of clicks out of the rear spring you might choose to put two clicks back (standard position). But the rear spring comes from the factory with plenty of margin to accommodate that.

As for buying a more suitable bike: All "Adventure" bikes, of all brands, leave the design department as a multi-purpose motorcycle. In other words a educated compromise between a street bike, touring bike and dirt bike. The people who designed them were aiming for a sweet spot, not a strict perfect spot. Suzuki and KTM, for example, have different opinions of just where that sweet spot lies. It is hard to understand why the end user wouldn't want to slide that spot in any direction that better suits how it will be used along the Adventure spectrum. Hope that helps.
uncaged, LittleMike, mcrag and 2 others like this.
post #26 of 42 Old 12-12-2015, 08:11 PM
Stromthusiast!

Oh, but I do understand. As the suspension compresses, the lowest part of the bike gets proportionately closer to the ground. Therefore, if it is, say 25mm [1 inch] lower to start with, then isn't the clearance compromised? No point having 160mm[6.2 inches] of travel, and only 135mm[5.3 inches] of clearance, as then you can't use the suspension correctly. I know it's personal choice, and I respect that, but why spend the money lowering a bike that's designed to go over bigger bumps? Is it the Range Rover mentality, where 90% of them never leave the bitumen? Here in Oz, people buy those "land yachts" [large 4WDs] for pose value, "keeping up with the Jones' " if you like. Each to their own I guess, some people are less 'adventurous' than others. I wish mine had a little more clearance at times...... I wish you well in your endeavours though

post #27 of 42 Old 12-12-2015, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Wink

Quote:
Oh, but I do understand. As the suspension compresses, the lowest part of the bike gets proportionately closer to the ground. Therefore, if it is, say 25mm [1 inch] lower to start with, then isn't the clearance compromised? No point having 160mm[6.2 inches] of travel, and only 135mm[5.3 inches] of clearance, as then you can't use the suspension correctly. I know it's personal choice, and I respect that, but why spend the money lowering a bike that's designed to go over bigger bumps? Is it the Range Rover mentality, where 90% of them never leave the bitumen? Here in Oz, people buy those "land yachts" [large 4WDs] for pose value, "keeping up with the Jones' " if you like. Each to their own I guess, some people are less 'adventurous' than others. I wish mine had a little more clearance at times...... I wish you well in your endeavours though
Great reply, Thanks. It is refreshing to be called a "keeping up with the Jones" poser for buying a V-Strom instead of a MultiStrata. I guess now that I know when you say suspension travel you mean lean angle while wearing a bash plate of some unknown width. And you are absolutely correct that if I wanted to ride in the land of big OZ bumps or a Class A enduro, I'd use one of my other bikes. If you want more clearance to suit your riding needs just put on a 21" front wheel and some raising plates. Stay safe.
post #28 of 42 Old 12-12-2015, 09:02 PM
Stromthusiast!

Well, no, by clearance I mean from the ground vertically to the bottom of the bike. I wasn't referring to your good self as a 'poser', it was in reference to the 4WD owners that never go off road, but require a large 4WD to do the shopping in. In my opinion the 'Strom is a better all-round bike to the Multistrada anyway Now, 'scuse me while I google 21" front wheels and raising plates.........see what you've done! Take care

post #29 of 42 Old 12-12-2015, 09:07 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleeye View Post
Nope, you can keep dressing like a BMW rider
I will keep dressing as I do thanks. Very casual I am afraid and not at all adventure rider-ish. I just let the side down whatever group I am in.

Coops.

Some people are like clouds. When they go away it makes the day seem brighter.

2015 XT.
post #30 of 42 Old 12-12-2015, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Well, no, by clearance I mean from the ground vertically to the bottom of the bike. I wasn't referring to your good self as a 'poser', it was in reference to the 4WD owners that never go off road, but require a large 4WD to do the shopping in. In my opinion the 'Strom is a better all-round bike to the Multistrada anyway Now, 'scuse me while I google 21" front wheels and raising plates.........see what you've done! Take care
Good fun chatting with you...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
2014 dl1000 adv , lowering

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode