Oil suspension? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 12-06-2015, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Oil suspension?

Does anyone know what oil to use front suspension, and the amount of oil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-06-2015, 11:23 PM
Stromthusiast!

Suzuki fork oil L-01. 569ml per leg. 120mm air gap

Never argue with an idiot.......they drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!
post #3 of 14 Old 12-06-2015, 11:37 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I use ATF but have used 10w in the past.

2004 DL650 "HMMVStrom"
1978 Suzuki GS1000 "Tennessee Hillbilly"
1982 Suzuki GS850G "Barnfind"
2008 MazdaSpeed 3

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8AHz-9CXcxNi5WlDOtYhPA
My channel ^^^

post #4 of 14 Old 12-07-2015, 03:50 AM
Stromthusiast!

Is it an easy job to top it up? Have been looking for a workshop manual or info to do this job but no luck so far.

L4 DL1000 Black Strom No3
post #5 of 14 Old 12-07-2015, 04:24 AM
Stromthusiast!

It's easy if you don't have OCD and don't mind cheating. And much easier with a centre stand than without.

Take the weight off the back (bag of cement in the top box and tip the bike back works for me). Undo the two pinch bolts on the upper triple clamps, put a towel on the tank, take the handle bar clamps off but just lift, move back and rotate the bars back and lay them on the tank, a bungee cord to hold them still is a good idea. I use a hobby knife and slide it under those caps on the bolts, don't drop them they get lost easily.

Back the preload adjusters on the fork caps right off.

Use a GOOD socket set, undo the top fork caps. This is where the weight MUST be off the front.

Use something like a clean stick (chopstick, Satay stick) measure the existing oil level.
IF it smells like a swamp in there, you need to do more work, so put it back together now and read up on the proper way otherwise continue ...

Push the front of the bike back down, pull the spacer washer and springs out. (Paper towels and newspaper on the floor is useful here).

Use an oil transfer pump (hand pump and an empty plastic soda bottle works fine) pull out the oil you can get to. (This is where not having OCD helps).

Add SOME new oil at this point, enough so that when you rock the bike back you don't suck air below the damper.

Rock the bike back to unweight the front again, pop the springs, washers and spacers back in and using the magic stick plus a torch, top off the oil to the level you marked earlier.

Push the caps back on and VERY CAREFULLY tighten them. They will cross thread if you get careless but if you wound the preload off earlier only slight downward pressure is needed to get them back in. Adjust the preload to where it was, or in my case (~90kg) 'just touching' works.

Tighten the upper pinch bolts again, reinstall the bars. Done.

5 minutes the second time.

If you have OCD and want to do it properly, budget a day.

Pete
post #6 of 14 Old 12-07-2015, 04:30 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank aguiar View Post
Does anyone know what oil to use front suspension, and the amount of oil.
Are you changing the oil to tune the suspension? Or age/use? One final question, we are talking about a 2014+ DL1000?

Never argue with an idiot.......they drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!
post #7 of 14 Old 12-07-2015, 06:06 AM
Stromthusiast!

Looking in the manual, you need some "special tools" for the job. They are for compressing the spring and allowing the removal of the damper adjustment rod from the fork cap.
If it were me, to get the oil replaced I would remove the forks and take them to a shop with the right equipment.
Not a straightforward as my old DL650!

DL1000A 2014
previously DL650K6
post #8 of 14 Old 12-07-2015, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

This with 24.000km, I was thinking of changing the oil, dl 1000a 2014.
post #9 of 14 Old 12-07-2015, 01:33 PM
Stromthusiast!

If you're changing the oil and not using the Suzuki product, find the comparison chart on the net. Fork oil is measured in Centistokes ( I think that's the term, from memory ) so, a 10w Motul fork oil won't be the same as, say, a 10w BelRay fork oil. You have to weigh up the cost of a workshop manual against the cost of using a mechanic. If you have some basic mechanical nous, the manual will save you lots of dollars in the long run. As for the the "special tools", Suzuki wanted to charge me $140 for a SPST switch with two wires, I made my own for $12......

post #10 of 14 Old 12-07-2015, 07:46 PM
Stromthusiast!

0W grade, 1L:99000-99044-L01
5W grade, 0,5L:99000-99044-05G
10W grade, 1L:99000-99044-10G
15W grade, 1L:99000-99044-15G

I am running Hyperpro progressive front springs with Hyperpro SAE10W fluid. It appears to help with the front end dive during high speed heavy breaking on asphalt while setting up for corners. Still a lot of dive for superbike but just right for a long travel adventure bike.
Crap Video: suspension work
https://youtu.be/vNqnNU25aj0

Brian
VSRI#505

Last edited by B-Mac; 01-01-2016 at 02:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode