ADV V2 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 12-03-2015, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

ADV V2

Hi guys been a while between chats.

I've been pretty consumed with this bike since the very day I test rode it 12 months ago, and have been setting it up as an ADV bike proper!

With this alone - Ricks Foot Peg lowering plate, Rox Risers rolled forward 1in , and Pivot Pegz the whole ergonomic is so close to ideal for me that I am looking to suspension next already.
The bash plate and crash bars have survived a proper testing too and haven't broken any welds or shown re-alignment...

here are a few pics of the fun stuff..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1478.jpg (100.4 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1276.jpg (102.6 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1406.jpg (99.0 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1273.jpg (102.9 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1158.jpg (97.6 KB, 109 views)
Nail34, We2V2, Chilly and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-03-2015, 08:50 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Those are some nice pics. Are you leaving your abs on during your off road adventures? So far I haven't run into anything to gnarly which requires me to pull the fuse.

2015 DL 650XT

2000 Vulcan 500
post #3 of 15 Old 12-03-2015, 05:08 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Very interested in a V2 as an adventure bike, however I think all these pictures of them having a rest in off road situations has me concerned. Guys how about some cool action shots instead of crash pictures.
We2V2 likes this.

post #4 of 15 Old 12-03-2015, 06:09 PM
Stromthusiast!

Which aluminum boxes are those? They seem to be holding up, er, well ;-).
post #5 of 15 Old 12-03-2015, 06:43 PM
Stromthusiast!

Thanks for being honest! re the "naps" The V2 is a big bike and not too light should it be laying down (from experience )
However those images do show what I would rate as serious off roading- more suited to DR650's etc- which have a LOT more suspension travel and are Light ! Chilly if you like the look of the deep mud and steep loose rocky trails you,ll have to be able to touch the ground comfortably when seated, be strong enough to lift the bike when loaded and be prepared for scars (hopefully only on the bike!) The V2 is excellent under many conditions! but when/if they go down its fast! and they are heavy..(as are other bikes in this category btw) The V2 IMO is an 80/20 bike 80% bitumen 20% unsealed (graded dirt) it can of course be pushed towards 60/40 with modifications and gnarly tyres but for that A Wee XT might be a better staring point with mods..and still have limitations.
I liken our V2 to being comfortable on more or less any road where you might find a human! eg dirt roads serviced by a local school bus, mail run, farmers etc. Basically roads that can be fairly shit house but are - or have been formed at one stage or another. This includes fire trails/access tracks in National parks and forests,use your own discretion it all depends on the riders experience and ability to get out of a "situation" and how prepared you might be to "knock your bike around".
I understand (as has been demonstrated many times) that a V2 or any 'Strom can be set up and taken anywhere! by certain riders
however unless you are that rider,the V2 wont "work" out of the box.
I dont know your location or desires, but I,d say that untill you run out of sealed and dirt roads to explore, get a V2! if you develop a need to really go into 4WD territory you might follow in the footsteps of many and get a DR650 for the tough stuff.
They are relatively cheap,and durable. just dont think (as I did to a degree) that a V2 will be a part time DR...they are just too heavy . FWIW if going "out of the way" it pays to have a riding buddy a mobile phone (assuming you have coverage) wont be able to lift a V2 off you should it have a nap...(hard panniers may avert this issue)
Dont be at all dissuaded , be encouraged by the hard core Vstrom riders! but realise your off road expectations might exceed the bikes initial ability.
my $0.02
Chilly likes this.

Paul and Dixie and our V2
DL1000A 2015. SW-Motec crash bars and skid plate,Givi Airflo screen,Givi rear Hugger,Factory low seat,Barkbusters with Storm guards,Factory Tank Protector, Factory centre stand,RadGuard Radiator Guard,home made top box adaptor plate with poverty top box,Factory hard panniers,Zumo390LM,TKC70's,windshield lowered 50mm with custom mounting plates,motopressor tyre inflator,Virgins breath in the tyres,Barrett exhaust,AWESOME rider and pillion.
post #6 of 15 Old 12-03-2015, 08:33 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Pretty sure the V2 is the bike for me I have a Husky TE 310 for serious off road and a Husky SMR 630 for destroying the ego's of sport bike riders, so my V2 (when I save enough) will spend most of it's life on the road. I spent a month on a F800gs in Morocco and quickly learnt that a 200kg bike is not for me in rough terrain, i'm just after a practical all rounder that will not be afraid of the occasional dirt road.
We2V2 likes this.
post #7 of 15 Old 12-03-2015, 09:43 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzCrow View Post

I've been pretty consumed with this bike since the very day I test rode it 12 months ago, and have been setting it up as an ADV bike proper!

With this alone - Ricks Foot Peg lowering plate, Rox Risers rolled forward 1in , and Pivot Pegz the whole ergonomic is so close to ideal for me that I am looking to suspension next already.
The bash plate and crash bars have survived a proper testing too and haven't broken any welds or shown re-alignment...
good one!
I have similar mods to your 5 listed, all of them beneficial
post #8 of 15 Old 12-03-2015, 10:29 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzCrow View Post
Hi guys been a while between chats.

here are a few pics of the fun stuff..
I suspect your panniers might have reduced the impact to the crashbars? possibly some impact shared by the handlebar and panniers? We fitted SWMotech cause they were the thickest..and one nap and they're "miss aligned" to put it politely..they did a good job of protecting the tank but sacrificed themselves in the process, or at least one has..no doubt it could be "reshaped" with a press and an appropriate set up, but we,ll just replace them.
Kinda wonder in a way why I have them? a new bike fully insured and I fit crash bars to protect it? yet still have to replace them and other stuff anyway??seems I,m looking after the insurance company !
stu53 likes this.

Paul and Dixie and our V2
DL1000A 2015. SW-Motec crash bars and skid plate,Givi Airflo screen,Givi rear Hugger,Factory low seat,Barkbusters with Storm guards,Factory Tank Protector, Factory centre stand,RadGuard Radiator Guard,home made top box adaptor plate with poverty top box,Factory hard panniers,Zumo390LM,TKC70's,windshield lowered 50mm with custom mounting plates,motopressor tyre inflator,Virgins breath in the tyres,Barrett exhaust,AWESOME rider and pillion.
post #9 of 15 Old 12-04-2015, 06:36 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by basisforbart View Post
Those are some nice pics. Are you leaving your abs on during your off road adventures? So far I haven't run into anything to gnarly which requires me to pull the fuse.
I leave it on all the time but have learned a normal response to riding way of not having a rear brake.
I have pulled it out once in 15000km for the big ADV model test; Bendethra Caves to Moruya.

Are you most concerned with rear ABS or front?
post #10 of 15 Old 12-04-2015, 06:44 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
Very interested in a V2 as an adventure bike, however I think all these pictures of them having a rest in off road situations has me concerned. Guys how about some cool action shots instead of crash pictures.
ADV bike testing. Neither crash pictures nor action shots there buddy, take care not to bruise your elbows.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode