SW Motech Top Plate and Givi Adapter - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

2Likes
  • 2 Post By Tefloncandy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 11-27-2015, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
SW Motech Top Plate and Givi Adapter

After searching the forums and checking out the options, I decided to go with the SW Motech top plate for my 15 DL1K. I made the decision based on previous experience with the setup as I used it on my 09 KLR. Since I already had the SW Motech Plate from my KLR and the Givi Adapter plate for a Givi Monokey top case as well as a Givi e55 top case, it seemed like the most cost effective solution for me.

So on Wednesday, I placed an order from Revzilla for the top plate and few other farkles I will detail a bit later. Today, I received a box on the front porch that contained the top plate.

I broke open the box and pulled everything out like a kid at Christmas.

After I sorted all of the bits out, I started looking the top plate over and realized that it didn't have the fasteners on the plate like my KLR top plate. (See below)

Vstrom SW Motech Top Plate (bottom side)

KLR SW Motech Top Plate (bottom side)

After checking the box again and then deciding to tear into the instructions, I find that the Vstrom SW Motech Top Plate does NOT come with the quick release fasteners.

Instructions for the Vstrom SW Motech Top Plate

So.... I decided to pull the fastener plates off the KLR version of the top plate and see if they fit the Vstrom top plate.

Success... They fit!!!

So at this point, I moved on to the next steps as gleaned from the instructions and when out the bike and removed the two top bolts at the front of the luggage rack on the Vstrom.

The bolts were tight and definitely had thread locker on them.

Seeing that the bolts also had spacer on them, I decided to take a look at the instructions again and didn't see anywhere that I was to keep or remove the spacers. I decided to keep them in place and then I moved on to the hardware to install the SW Motech Top Plate.

You will find 4 felt pads in the install kit. They are rectangles and made to fit on the underside of the adapter plate and mate with the top of the luggage rack. You will have to trim the felt pads to fit the adapter plate.

So at this point, I start by installing the additional spacers into the front mounting points. You can see the spacer from the factory bolt in bottom of the luggage rack.

Next, you want to find the smaller spacers from the kit and push them through the adapter plate with the felt pads attached to it. Remember, the felt goes on the bottom and against the luggage rack.

At this point, it look like this...

Now we move to installing the SW Motech Top Plate and underside adapter plate. Be sure to use thread locker on the (4) counter sunk screws. Prior to tightening everything up, I checked the plate to see if it set level or was slanted due to leaving the spacers in the front holes. After checking it over, the plate sits level. *NOTE: Keep the front spacers from the factory bolts in place and add the larger spacers on top of them. This is not in the instructions.

Here you can see the underside adapter plate. I have NOT tightened up the screws at this point, so you can see it hanging down just a bit.

The next step is to tighten everything up and get ready to mount the Givi adapter plate. In the two pictures below, I have NOT tightened up the screws yet, but I wanted to show the space between the luggage rack and the SW Motech Top Plate.

So, it's pretty straight forward from here on out. You will mount the Givi adapter plate using the quick release fasteners.

Next, I bring in the big Givi e55 top case and get it placed on the adapter plate.

Now with the Adventure bags that came with the bike.

And last, but not least... the space available for Two Up configurations.

Overall, from breaking open the box to shutting the lights off in the garage once the install was complete, it took me about 45 mins. I think this is a good and sturdy setup for me and I am looking forward to many miles with it. I hope it was helpful for those that might be searching for a similar setup.
phatguy and canadianpatriot like this.

13' KLR 650, 06' GL1800
"No good decision was ever made in a swivel chair" George S. Patton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-28-2015, 11:01 AM
Stromthusiast!

Nice write up! I did the $25 SW-Motech Givi adapter and am very happy. If I get time I'll take my V46 off and show the install process, but it was no more than put in two Givi "slider buttons" on the front of the plate (one bolt each button), and the latch piece at the very back (installed by two small screws).

BTW the SWM top plate that I received from Revzilla looks a lot different, I wonder why?

Last edited by Bville-Bud; 11-28-2015 at 11:04 AM.
post #3 of 6 Old 11-28-2015, 11:55 AM
phatguy in Cbus

SW Motech sells both a steel rack and an aluminum rack (the one depicted by the O.P.) I have the steel rack like Bville-Bud.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gpt_05_440_20000_b_2_xl_web.jpg (52.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg gpt_05_440_15000_b_2_xl_web.jpg (13.0 KB, 12 views)

Jim in Cbus

Current ride:
07 R1200GS (Barn Queen)
Gone rides: DL1000A; DL650A; F800ST; R1100RT;
DL1000; Royal Star V4; Concours; Kawa 650/4;
Honda CB350; BSA Thunderbolt 650; YDS 305;
YDS 250

post #4 of 6 Old 12-01-2015, 11:11 AM
Stromthusiast!

Nice work, and a good write-up, but is there some reason you could not just attach the Givi adapter directly to the rack? I don't see how adding the SW Motech top plate in between the rack and the top plate adds any structural integrity unless it attaches directly to the frame. Maybe just to move the top case back a bit?

2013 Triumph Tiger Explorer
post #5 of 6 Old 12-01-2015, 12:32 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockitcity View Post
Nice work, and a good write-up, but is there some reason you could not just attach the Givi adapter directly to the rack? I don't see how adding the SW Motech top plate in between the rack and the top plate adds any structural integrity ...
There's also the aluminum Givi rack (SRA3105) that has additional support structure.

Tipsy

post #6 of 6 Old 12-08-2015, 01:24 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

If you had the OEM adventure side cases, would they fit on the bike using the above top rack? I ask because of the support arm that comes down and under the tail/light.

"...and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived."
~ H.D. Thoreau

2014 Vee 2 'Black & Tan'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode