Need help choosing top-plate - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 11-19-2015, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NYC & FL
Posts: 258
Need help choosing top-plate

I'm leaning toward the Outback Trekker top case (and side cases). What are the pros and cons of the various top plate adapters? I see some are steel and some are aluminium. Several different brands available.

How do these attach to the bike? Holes to be drilled?

Any reason not to go with the SW Motech Steel Toprack?

Tipsy
TipsyMcStagger is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 11-21-2015, 12:54 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
Bugzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 4,154
I have a Givi top box so went with the Givi bike specific plastic mount. It is very sturdy and comes with a bracket that attaches to the frame underneath for extra support back there. I suppose if I ever flipped the bike it might break off, but otherwise I can't imagine any issues with it being plastic. The grab bars are made of plastic anyways, so not sure there is any benefit to mounting aluminum/steel on top of that.

You need to buy whatever bracket works with your bag choice though. Aluminum would likely be lighter and not rust as easily.
Bugzy is offline  
post #3 of 13 Old 11-21-2015, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NYC & FL
Posts: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugMagnet View Post
I have a Givi top box so went with the Givi bike specific plastic mount. It is very sturdy and comes with a bracket that attaches to the frame underneath for extra support back there. I suppose if I ever flipped the bike it might break off, but otherwise I can't imagine any issues with it being plastic. The grab bars are made of plastic anyways, so not sure there is any benefit to mounting aluminum/steel on top of that.

You need to buy whatever bracket works with your bag choice though. Aluminum would likely be lighter and not rust as easily.
Thanks for the reply. I guess this is the mount you used?

Tipsy
TipsyMcStagger is offline  
 
post #4 of 13 Old 11-21-2015, 01:12 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Hickville, NC
Posts: 463
Hey tipsy, I just ordered and installed the sw-motech steel rack. It seems to be built very well. I like the mtg plates vs specific racks in case I decide to do something different, I have a good plate to strap something to if need be.
cheapbastard is offline  
post #5 of 13 Old 11-21-2015, 01:18 AM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NYC & FL
Posts: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapbastard View Post
Hey tipsy, I just ordered and installed the sw-motech steel rack. It seems to be built very well. I like the mtg plates vs specific racks in case I decide to do something different, I have a good plate to strap something to if need be.
Okay...dumb question, but how exactly is a mounting plate different? And what was required to mount in on the Vee2?

Tipsy
TipsyMcStagger is offline  
post #6 of 13 Old 11-21-2015, 08:04 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Berryville
Posts: 167
The SW-Motech will hold your top box just fine. It will also hold another top box if you change, it is also pre-drilled to hold Rotopax holders and has places for bungees. It looks good, is functional, will last forever. It is the no-brainer for me.
Bville-Bud is offline  
post #7 of 13 Old 11-21-2015, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NYC & FL
Posts: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bville-Bud View Post
The SW-Motech will hold your top box just fine. It will also hold another top box if you change, it is also pre-drilled to hold Rotopax holders and has places for bungees. It looks good, is functional, will last forever. It is the no-brainer for me.
So basically, using the Motech plate just gives you more options? Am I correct that if you use the Motech plate, you still need some kind of Givi mount on the plate to attach the (Outback Trekker) top box?

On my Uly, I never once removed the top box in eight years, so I guess that's sort of how I'm coming at this. But I guess it's always nice to have options.

Tispy
TipsyMcStagger is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old 11-21-2015, 11:27 AM
phatguy in Cbus
 
phatguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Gahanna (Col. OH)
Posts: 182
What Bville-Bud said. And Yes...SW Motech sells adapter hardware to accommodate Givi, Kappa, Trax, Hepco & Becker, Shad, etc. They also sell quick release adapter plates which you can configured to these above mentioned Mfgs. so one can use a mixture of top boxes. Steel is real!!

Jim in Cbus

Current ride:
07 R1200GS (Barn Queen)
Gone rides: DL1000A; DL650A; F800ST; R1100RT;
DL1000; Royal Star V4; Concours; Kawa 650/4;
Honda CB350; BSA Thunderbolt 650; YDS 305;
YDS 250

Last edited by phatguy; 11-21-2015 at 11:29 AM.
phatguy is offline  
post #9 of 13 Old 11-21-2015, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NYC & FL
Posts: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatguy View Post
What Bville-Bud said. And Yes...SW Motech sells adapter hardware to accommodate Givi, Kappa, Trax, Hepco & Becker, Shad, etc. They also sell quick release adapter plates which you can configured to these above mentioned Mfgs. so one can use a mixture of top boxes. Steel is real!!
Got it. Thanks for the replies!

Tipsy
TipsyMcStagger is offline  
post #10 of 13 Old 11-21-2015, 12:16 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Berryville
Posts: 167
I think the adapter kit is about $25. Both the rack and adapter may be cheaper than the plastic V-Strom specific plate from Givi.
Bville-Bud is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome