Buy now or wait - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 Old 11-08-2015, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Garage
Buy now or wait

Hi my name is George and I am new here. I have not had a motorcycle for about 8 years, all my bikes have been cruisers. My wife and I decided to get a bike for 2 up riding. We went to the show in Portland last weekend any my wife like the V-Strom 1000 the best. Looking at prices in the Seattle area there is a new 14 for $7950 not including tax, title. The problem is where to store it as we live in the city, also I am not planning riding over the winter so it will just be sitting around. Is this a screaming deal or do I wait?
Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 Old 11-08-2015, 05:40 PM
Stromthusiast!

Looking on cycle trader that's a great deal.
post #3 of 50 Old 11-08-2015, 06:22 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by geontemt View Post
Hi my name is George and I am new here. I have not had a motorcycle for about 8 years, all my bikes have been cruisers. My wife and I decided to get a bike for 2 up riding. We went to the show in Portland last weekend any my wife like the V-Strom 1000 the best. Looking at prices in the Seattle area there is a new 14 for $7950 not including tax, title. The problem is where to store it as we live in the city, also I am not planning riding over the winter so it will just be sitting around. Is this a screaming deal or do I wait?
Thank you
They're never going to be much dearer anyway (there'll always be a deal to be had) so why have it sitting around devaluing over winter with no place to store until it becomes a 2 year old model on the books?
Personally I wouldn't even give it another thought until you're ready to use it - by which time your wife may find another model she likes

post #4 of 50 Old 11-08-2015, 06:48 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
new 14 for $7950
Great deal. It'll get bought by someone. There are lots of good riding days in the winter. Warm layers, sun, ride, enjoy.

"Older people who are reasonable, good-tempered, and gracious will bear aging well. Those who are mean-spirited and irritable will be unhappy at every period of their lives.

"Let each of use properly whatever strengths he has and strive to use them well. If he does this, he will never find himself lacking."

Marcus Tullius Cicero
44 B.C.
post #5 of 50 Old 11-08-2015, 07:02 PM
Stromthusiast!

Thats a great deal.. I just bought mine for a great deal like that one.

I ride all year round but I'm in San Diego so not to much of an issue.. I always seem to but this time of year as the prices drop big time on older models. I say, do it.
post #6 of 50 Old 11-08-2015, 07:11 PM
Stromthusiast!

That's about what I got mine for and I thought it was a fantastic deal ($8900 OTD). Next spring there may or may not be any leftover 2014s in your area and you'd have to wait for a similar deal on a 2015...it's a gamble.

-Gary
2014 V-Strom 1000 - Desert Khaki
2016 GSX-S1000FA
2012 DR650SE
2011 Burgman 400
2007 Honda Helix
2013 V-Strom 650 - sold
post #7 of 50 Old 11-08-2015, 08:13 PM
Stromthusiast!

I just bought a used 2012 Adventure model Wee from a member here. Got it for a fair price I thought. He, in turn, got a very fair price (I think) on a 2014 leftover Vee2.

Based on those two very recent experiences, it seems right now is a good time to buy if low price is meaningful to you.

Good luck regardless.

2007 Wee. Blue. Bought at 5K miles. Sold at 32K+ miles. Gone but not forgotten.

2012 Wee2 Adventure. Black. Bought at 26K miles. Now 46K+. Love it!
post #8 of 50 Old 11-08-2015, 08:42 PM
Stromthusiast!

Buy it! I'm in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia; I'll guess we are about 10-15 degrees colder than you, and I rode every month last year, so you can absolutely use your new motorcycle. Dress appropriately and it will make the winter blues go away.
post #9 of 50 Old 11-08-2015, 08:57 PM
Stromthusiast!

Where are you planning on storing it when it isn't winter? And the obvious fact that regardless if you buy now or wait for spring you will be in the same spot next winter.. I dont live in the city but also do not own a garage but have plans to store it with a friend for the week or 2 it snows in NC. I cosign the comments above, if you invest in good gear the riding season is much longer. I'm about to ride home from work and it's 45 and I'm still excited
post #10 of 50 Old 11-08-2015, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Garage
Thank you for all the responses. Storage plans are probably in the street covered, free but have to move it every 72 hours. Parking is $200/mo, even at places like uhaul. I payed that the first 18 months we lived here for my car and realized for that money I could buy another vehicle. I grew up in the Midwest and always had a garage so leaving a motorcycle outside, in my old mindset, was outrageous. The weather here is very mild compared to Illinois so you guys are right I could buy now and ride now with some warmer gear.

Brisky mentally it seems harder to leave a brand new bike out as opposed to one I had ridden all season but that thought process is kind of irrational.

Bville-Bud what gear are you using? Also, does anyone have any recommendations for gear for my wife, for example should we have the same stuff or will she be warmer being shielded by me?

alfie53 my wife is going to be a passenger so she isn't looking independently. My main concern is in 3 months I'll paying the same for a used bike. Not that I care if something is brand new or used but the bike will have less wear and tear, brakes, tires, ect. From that point of view what are your thoughts?

Thanks again everybody, I added my past bikes in my signature.

George
2014 DL1000A

80 Suzuki GS450L gone
90 FXR gone
99 Road King Classic gone
05 V Star 1100 gone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode