V2 or 2015 Tiger 800xr..? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old 11-08-2015, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

V2 or 2015 Tiger 800xr..?

I'm sure there is already a thread on this question here but I could not find it, please send me the link if possible.

If not I'd appreciate your insights.

I'm looking to replace my '09 Wee with a more powerful/comfortable adventure/tourer and my sights we set on the improved V2. But then for about the same price I saw the improved Tiger 800 was available.

I rented a 2013 tiger for the day last March in Vegas and put about 500 miles on it through Oatman and the Mohave dessert etc.

The bike seemed to be a bit more maneuverable than the Wee and WOW did that engine impress, and they've made improvements for the 2015 model year.

The bike will be used about 80/20 pavement/fire roads.

When I do my multi day rides I typically ride 5-600 miles/day and spend 12-14 hrs on the bike so I like comfort and canyon carving with some throttle twisting fun.

I've looked for comparison reviews of both bikes on Google but there are very few. There is one on you tube but the language is Italian I think

Reliability is a concern for me as I live in a town with a Suzuki dealer and no triumph support, but I would not take my bike to the Suzuki dealer as they are hacks and I have not found a reliable bike mechanic, and I'm not good with any thing more than oil changes.

The local Zuk dealer does not allow test rides.

The bikes seem similar for fuel economy, with the V2 having .3 of a gallon more, not a big deal for me.

I like that the Tiger is about 25lbs lighter.

I'm 5'9" with a 32" inseam.

So if anyone has some real world advice to help me decide I'd be very appreciative!
RhinoVStrom likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 11-08-2015, 03:53 PM
Stromthusiast!

post #3 of 29 Old 11-08-2015, 04:27 PM
Stromthusiast!

I had a tiger800 before my vee2 and tested a xrx last week. Things I like about the tiger r the light weight and low speed riding. Its 20 kg lighter and u can ride it in 6th gear at 30mph. Things I don't like are the brakes, weak two up, suspension, harsh and the busy engine at speed on motorway. The improvements on the xrx r not much better. You get riding mods, tc etc but they never changed the things they needed to. Better brakes, less damped suspension and the 100/90 front tyre. So while I liked the xrx I like the vee2 more. Then the dealer said he didn't want my v strom as a trade in anyway!

post #4 of 29 Old 11-08-2015, 04:36 PM
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

600 miles days require a comfortable bike and the Vee2 is comfortable. ...and with the money you can save on a Vee2 you can increase the comfort even more (e.g., airflow windscreen, Shad Comfort Seat). An aftermarket muffler and collector bring the Vee2 within about two pounds of the DL650. The Vee2 also performs well on fire roads. Much better than any of the previous V-Stroms. I can imagine the Tiger might do better off pavement, but would you want to do 600 mile days on it?

The Vee2 also seems to be very reliable. The major systemic issues with the old Vee don't seem to be present.
post #5 of 29 Old 11-08-2015, 04:36 PM
Stromthusiast!

The strom is heavier by a good bit and the low speed running is bad, on mine at least. But the brakes r much better and the suspension is better to. Mpg is better on strom to and range but not by much. Its better on the motorway as engine revs much lower at motorway speed. Comfort is similar, both have crap seats, pillion comfort better on vee2.
So I'd say as a weekend touring bike the suzuki is better but if you ride every day in traffic it might drive you nuts so for commuting and off road the tiger has it. Test ride both. Hope this helps
Ps.and contrary to popular belief my vee2 has left me stranded twice this year and my tiger never in three years!

Last edited by billyal33; 11-08-2015 at 04:48 PM.
post #6 of 29 Old 11-08-2015, 04:41 PM
$tromtrooper

I can't give an opinion as to riding a Tiger 800, but the V2 would be hard to beat price wise. A 2014 can be had in the $8000 range, which is great value. I'll go out on a limb, and boast, it's more reliable and easier to find a dealer.
Triumph parts are much higher priced, used or new. I've owned a V2 for almost a year now and along with a 10,000 mile trip have put 13,000 miles total on it, and it has not seen the dealership since it left. I also have a 2012 VStrom with 24,000 on it, that also hasn't seen the dealership.
If money isn't an issue, the Triumph, won't let you down. They are smooth and handle well in stock condition. There is also a greater selection of aftermarket farkels then the V2.
If money is not so easy to come by, the stock V2 will have you smiling across both ends of your chin strap.

post #7 of 29 Old 11-08-2015, 06:39 PM
Stromthusiast!

FWIW Tigers (at least the Aust delivered models) are built in Malaysia? or some such place, I believe the V2 is still built in Japan, Tigers here deteriorate rapidly have corrosion/warranty issues. I have ridden a friends 800XC and the engine is sooo smoooth and seems to have enough power, however the seat and suspension were hard,the screen was worse than beiing on a naked bike, and the bike just felt cheap.
Granted it did feel light! but that 21" front wheel was a bitch to turn into corners and I had sore arms the next day. Having wire wheels was a PITA as 2 flat tyres on two consecutive rides could not be repaired (by most riders) at the roadside, where as the tubeless radials on mt [email protected] can be repaired in minutes under normal conditions. This was one reason I chose a "soft" roader and got the V2
We see lots of tigers and they certainly look good and are capable! Personally I dont like the cheap feel and corrosion- they age quickly.I dont think they offer enough quality for the asking price.Get one, thrash it before it falls apart and corrodes anyway and be prepared to have a tired looking bike either way after 2 years.
I.m maybe 5' 6' and slight build, I have loaded up the V2 with crash bars,engine guard,centerstand top box etc and find the V2 very light and stable whilst moving, sooo easy to do lock to lock feet up u turns etc, yep its high n heavy to move around the garage but we didnt buy it to push around the garage! on the move I just consider the extra low down weight to add stability
I suggest due to you primarily road based riding - as is ours- that the V2 will have you less fatigued at the end of the day, the engine is much less "busy" than the humming buzzing Triple.
My $0.02

I have just realised you were asking about the XR, sorry I dont know if it has Spoked or cast wheels or if 21 or 19" please disregard any erroneous comments and accept my apologies.

Paul and Dixie and our V2
DL1000A 2015. SW-Motec crash bars and skid plate,Givi Airflo screen,Givi rear Hugger,Factory low seat,Barkbusters with Storm guards,Factory Tank Protector, Factory centre stand,RadGuard Radiator Guard,home made top box adaptor plate with poverty top box,Factory hard panniers,Zumo390LM,TKC70's,windshield lowered 50mm with custom mounting plates,motopressor tyre inflator,Virgins breath in the tyres,Barrett exhaust,AWESOME rider and pillion.

Last edited by We2V2; 11-08-2015 at 06:42 PM.
post #8 of 29 Old 11-08-2015, 06:49 PM
Stromthusiast!

I thinking about the same two bikes.
post #9 of 29 Old 11-08-2015, 06:50 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
the low speed running is bad, on mine at least
Not on mine. Smooth at all speeds.

"Older people who are reasonable, good-tempered, and gracious will bear aging well. Those who are mean-spirited and irritable will be unhappy at every period of their lives.

"Let each of use properly whatever strengths he has and strive to use them well. If he does this, he will never find himself lacking."

Marcus Tullius Cicero
44 B.C.
post #10 of 29 Old 11-08-2015, 07:58 PM
Stromthusiast!

No slow speed running issues with ours either. 2015 model 2300miles.

Paul and Dixie and our V2
DL1000A 2015. SW-Motec crash bars and skid plate,Givi Airflo screen,Givi rear Hugger,Factory low seat,Barkbusters with Storm guards,Factory Tank Protector, Factory centre stand,RadGuard Radiator Guard,home made top box adaptor plate with poverty top box,Factory hard panniers,Zumo390LM,TKC70's,windshield lowered 50mm with custom mounting plates,motopressor tyre inflator,Virgins breath in the tyres,Barrett exhaust,AWESOME rider and pillion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode