Gas Tank Removal - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 11-07-2015, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Exclamation Gas Tank Removal

Looked for this but saw nothing on the NEW DL1000.
What is the process to REMOVE the tank from the bike?
It looks like I have to start with taking off the plastic running over the top of the tank and the fuel cap ring along with it, then just work my way down.
If anyone has done this and can post up some pictures etc that would be very very helpful.

A signature
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 11-07-2015, 06:38 PM
Stromthusiast!

Look in the manual
tenny80 likes this.
post #3 of 21 Old 11-07-2015, 06:39 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Gas Tank Removal

I just did this last week when installing a K&N filter and a PCV. Let me see if I can remember correctly...

-Remove seat
-disconnect battery
-remove those metal tank fairings
-remove plastic tank cover
-remove two screws in the front tank and the metal seat holder thingy at the rear
-remove side fairings from tank which I believe are held on by two screws each fairing, as well as those plastic push pin things.
-remove metal bracket things in the bottom of the front of the tank down between the fairing and the tank
-I think that may be all the stuff to remove but take a look around and see what else may be holding it down
-Have someone gently lift the tank in the rear so you can disconnect the fuel line and breather/(overflow?) tubes and fuel pump wires. The fuel line disconnects with that green plastic clip on the line by switching it either up or down which will allow the line to come off the metal tank valve or petcock whatever it's called.

That should be everything to remove it and if I were looking at my bike I would probably be more accurate but since this is off the top of my head it may be a little off. It's very easy but once the tanks off you'll realize it wasn't bad at all. Here's how it looks on my 2015 DL1000. ImageUploadedByMO Free1446935954.685148.jpg

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Vglider likes this.

-John

Last edited by NyMeTsFaN912; 11-07-2015 at 06:45 PM.

post #4 of 21 Old 11-07-2015, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

@ toadride if i had a manual i would not have asked, but thankyou for your insightful contribution to this thread

@ metsfan that was exactly the information i was looking for thank you very much!!

A signature
post #5 of 21 Old 11-08-2015, 12:19 AM
$tromtrooper

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmdm8 View Post
@ toadride if i had a manual i would not have asked, but thankyou for your insightful contribution to this thread
The owners manual is pretty helpful. Sadly, Suzuki doesn't offer it in PDF format like most manufacturers. They charge $20 for it.

https://www.genuinesuzukimanuals.com/

post #6 of 21 Old 11-08-2015, 12:30 AM
Stromthusiast!

You need 4 mm & 5 mm hex keys and 10 mm & 12 mm wrenches. Remove the seat. Remove the plastic panels on the tank. Let the side panels hang from the wiring. Prop the tank up on the strut, disconnect the gas line, wiring connector, vent hoses. Take the bolt out from the front of the tank, lift it off wiggling the brackets at the rubber bumpers as needed (hope you don't have much gas in the tank to lighten the weight). If I forgot anything, do that, too.

While the tank is off, look for chafed wiring and wrap something on it to prevent future chaffing. Look for any connectors that could fill with water, fill with rtv silicone sealant or silicone dielectric grease to keep water out. If due, change the air filter and spark plugs.

When replacing, put the tank up on its strut, connect everything, be sure you get the fuel line all the way pushed into place, test run with it on the strut so you can fix anything without doing the plastic panels again.
flgolfer29 likes this.

"Older people who are reasonable, good-tempered, and gracious will bear aging well. Those who are mean-spirited and irritable will be unhappy at every period of their lives.

"Let each of use properly whatever strengths he has and strive to use them well. If he does this, he will never find himself lacking."

Marcus Tullius Cicero
44 B.C.
post #7 of 21 Old 11-08-2015, 12:35 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmdm8 View Post
Looked for this but saw nothing on the NEW DL1000.
What is the process to REMOVE the tank from the bike?
It looks like I have to start with taking off the plastic running over the top of the tank and the fuel cap ring along with it, then just work my way down.
If anyone has done this and can post up some pictures etc that would be very very helpful.
the manual gives a very detailed step by step guide to doing this.

nevermind should have read the replies first haha

2018 Vstrom 1000
2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Nomad
post #8 of 21 Old 11-08-2015, 12:10 PM
Stromthusiast!

Yes, and I was assuming that any one with a V2 would have a manual. How uninsightful of me.
tenny80 likes this.
post #9 of 21 Old 11-08-2015, 02:31 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Guys...if the answer to everything was "read the manual" then why even have a forum?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
flgolfer29 and Vglider like this.

-John
post #10 of 21 Old 11-08-2015, 06:46 PM
Stromthusiast!

There may be a misunderstanding around the term manual in this thread.
I think some people are assuming owners manual and some are assuming service manual maybe?

2015 Wee2 EXP "Arya"
2002 DR650 SM "Tormund"
2014 CB500x (wifes)
2018 XT 250 (wifes)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode