Muffler only - Do I really have to tune?? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 11-07-2015, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Muffler only - Do I really have to tune??

Howdy... I searched the archives and could not find what I was looking for, so in lieu of flipping me off and directing me to the search feature kindly direct to me to a thread on this assuming they exist.

So I am ready for more sound out of my vtwin. I really dont want to mess with the computer vs tuning to squeeze all the benifit out of the new air flow because the bike has more than enough power for me. If the motor performed without any new objectionable or damaging traits as a result of the new muffler, then life would be good.

Can someone please explain to me what I might expect how the bike would run if I did a slip-on muffler only?

Thanks,

Reid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-07-2015, 10:14 AM
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Theoretically, adding an after market muffler without altering the FI mapping is going to lean the fuel mixture due to increased air flow at any given throttle setting. The theoretical down side is that an engine running lean will run hotter and possibly burn a hole through the center of the piston. This was not completely unheard of in the days of carburetors and two-stroke motors.

Google "running lean burn pistons."

In practice it isn't usually a problem. Although many do, I would bet that most people who add an aftermarket muffler don't also add a PC V or similar device.

I ran my Vee2 for a couple of weeks with just the exhaust and the stock mapping. It didn't seem to affect the fuel air mixture enough to be noticeable. However, it would take a long time at normal driving loads to do serious damage so this example doesn't absolutely prove it isn't an issue. Also, the additional heat at the top of the piston might not show up on your temperature gauge.

Last edited by richlandrick; 11-07-2015 at 10:16 AM.
post #3 of 11 Old 11-07-2015, 11:41 AM
Stromthusiast!

You will be fine, I've done this on many bikes with out issue after thousand and thousands of miles.

Just the muffler won't do any damage.

post #4 of 11 Old 11-07-2015, 02:38 PM
jsp
Stromthusiast!

I disagree with richlandrick's statement "Theoretically, adding an after market muffler without altering the FI mapping is going to lean the fuel mixture due to increased air flow at any given throttle setting." Modern fuel injection systems with O2 sensors constantly adjust the air/ fuel ratio to whatever the manufacturer has programed. So in reality the air/ fuel ratio will remain as stock. Is that perfect for performance? No. Is it safe? Yes.
john
sgtmarkins likes this.
post #5 of 11 Old 11-07-2015, 03:06 PM
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

https://youtu.be/EY8wv1xwQEA

Despite the link above, I believe JSP is correct.

So... good news. Probably. I can't find anything on the role of the O2 sensors in Suzuki's system. It turns out that different manufacture's FI system function differently. For example in some the O2 sensor performs as JSP describes. However, on some motorcycles the O2 sensor does not function that way at all and only controls emissions. http://www.drdyno.com/AIM_2010-07.html

Given that the O2 sensors are before the catalytic converter and not after it, it would seem Suzuki's FI does provide input to maintain Suzuki's desired fuel air mixture.

Another thing is the adjustment band. The O2 sensors in some systems can only regulate between 14.2 to 1 and 15.1 to 1. So does adding a free-er flowing muffler exceed the adjustment capability of the system? Beats me, but probably not, if it is that kind of system.

Last edited by richlandrick; 11-07-2015 at 03:46 PM.
post #6 of 11 Old 11-07-2015, 06:49 PM
Stromthusiast!

I put a scorpion slip-on exhaust years ago on my 04. Love the sound, not too loud. Felt like it helped the mid range a bit. No ill affects. Added a k&n filter last year with no noticeable difference. Stock muffler SUCKS. Sounds like a moped. Just noticed this was in the dl1000 thread. Mine is a 650. So....nevermind.

Last edited by lost sailor; 11-07-2015 at 06:52 PM.
post #7 of 11 Old 11-08-2015, 07:54 AM
Stromthusiast!

Don't worry about it running lean, as long as you've left the O sensors in the exhaust manifolds. The bike's computer uses info from O sensors to adjust fuel up or down as you drive to achieve near-perfect combustion.
post #8 of 11 Old 11-08-2015, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Great discussion guys.... thank you this has made up my mind to move forward with aftermarket muff.

Hoping i don't take a dip on torque curve with the loss of the oem muff back pressure.

Cheers!
Reid
post #9 of 11 Old 11-08-2015, 01:37 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
Stock muffler is good for me. Nice and quiet so as not to alert the cops that I'm coming.

post #10 of 11 Old 11-09-2015, 06:44 AM
Stromthusiast!

K & N, aftermarket exhaust, ride it like you stole it and check your plugs before and after... They,ll tell the story. The added exhaust note will give you a feeling of more HP and speed, the new muff will save weight, the K&N will save time- get out and ride!
There are SV's and 'stroms with millions of accumulated miles betweem them world wide under many and varied conditions with no ill effects

Paul and Dixie and our V2
DL1000A 2015. SW-Motec crash bars and skid plate,Givi Airflo screen,Givi rear Hugger,Factory low seat,Barkbusters with Storm guards,Factory Tank Protector, Factory centre stand,RadGuard Radiator Guard,home made top box adaptor plate with poverty top box,Factory hard panniers,Zumo390LM,TKC70's,windshield lowered 50mm with custom mounting plates,motopressor tyre inflator,Virgins breath in the tyres,Barrett exhaust,AWESOME rider and pillion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode