Axle Wrenches and radiator guard - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old 11-03-2015, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Axle Wrenches and radiator guard

I'm looking for a rear axle wrench, front axle hex wrench and radiator guard for my 2014 DL1000. Can't believe that Suzuki recommends inspecting and adjusting the chain every 600 miles but doesn't include an axle wrench in the very pathetic tool kit that comes with the bike. Has anyone found a supplier for these items?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 11-03-2015, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Recommends does not mean it is necessary, the manual is full of "recommendations". Checkout our vendors section or use that Google search box in upper portion of site.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #3 of 30 Old 11-03-2015, 11:48 PM
Stromthusiast!

A 15/16" hex bit works well for the front. They're cheap, maybe about $12.

"Older people who are reasonable, good-tempered, and gracious will bear aging well. Those who are mean-spirited and irritable will be unhappy at every period of their lives.

"Let each of use properly whatever strengths he has and strive to use them well. If he does this, he will never find himself lacking."

Marcus Tullius Cicero
44 B.C.

post #4 of 30 Old 11-04-2015, 03:56 PM
Stromthusiast!

I bought a 36mm socket for rear (Lowes), 30mm for front (Lowes) and a 24mm hex converter thingy for front (ebay), these didn't cost very much. You also want a torque wrench. You could do a lot better on price online for the sockets too, I just needed something that day before departing on a trip.

If Suzuki had these in the tool case it would eat up a lot of space, and probably be too junky for regular use anyways.
post #5 of 30 Old 11-04-2015, 06:21 PM
Stromthusiast!

These look good (I have one) only thing is small bugs can get through the slots and the radiator is a bugger to clean! as the fins are sooo fine. Depends whether you ride at "Bugtime"

Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - Ravetech

Paul and Dixie and our V2
DL1000A 2015. SW-Motec crash bars and skid plate,Givi Airflo screen,Givi rear Hugger,Factory low seat,Barkbusters with Storm guards,Factory Tank Protector, Factory centre stand,RadGuard Radiator Guard,home made top box adaptor plate with poverty top box,Factory hard panniers,Zumo390LM,TKC70's,windshield lowered 50mm with custom mounting plates,motopressor tyre inflator,Virgins breath in the tyres,Barrett exhaust,AWESOME rider and pillion.
post #6 of 30 Old 11-04-2015, 09:06 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul n Dixie View Post
These look good (I have one) only thing is small bugs can get through the slots and the radiator is a bugger to clean! as the fins are sooo fine. Depends whether you ride at "Bugtime"

Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - Ravetech
Any time here is bug time
Also some people put nylon stockings over the rad guard.
That's my excuse for carrying women's stockings anyway.
mr_anonymous likes this.

I know nuffink, I see nuffink, It was not me, I was not here.
IBA #45920
FarRider #299
2015 Wee Strom "Piglet"
Givi crash bars, Barkbusters, Ravetech Bash plate, Ravetech Rad guard, Ravetech over dash Ram mount, Hyperlite flashing brake lights, Madstad bracket and screen, Augustus wind deflectors, Spot 3, UHF two way radio, Garmin Zumo GPS, Starcom intercom, Fuze block.
SW Motech Centre stand, Suzuki power outlet. Bike Alarm, Screaming Banshee horn, Led Flood lights, Tool tube, Andy Strapz Expedition soft panniers and frames.
post #7 of 30 Old 11-04-2015, 11:00 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Schultz View Post
Any time here is bug time
Also some people put nylon stockings over the rad guard.
That's my excuse for carrying women's stockings anyway.

Years ago I heard of an old bikers trick...to wear pantyhose under yer
jeans to keep warm...yeah right. didnt feel right buying them, felt ffn weird wearin them.Itchy stupid things.
Not sure I had to share that information.. :embarassed:
Sgt Schultz and NTBill like this.

DL1000A 2015. SW-Motec crash bars and skid plate,Givi Airflo screen,Givi rear Hugger,Factory low seat,Barkbusters with Storm guards,Factory Tank Protector, Factory centre stand,RadGuard Radiator Guard,home made top box adaptor plate with poverty top box,Factory hard panniers,Zumo390LM,TKC70's,windshield lowered 50mm with custom mounting plates,motopressor tyre inflator,Virgins breath in the tyres,Barrett exhaust,AWESOME rider and pillion.
post #8 of 30 Old 11-04-2015, 11:07 PM
Stromthusiast!

You can make a front axle tool with a large bolt (I think maybe 5/8"?), a couple of nuts and epoxy or JB Weld, but you can buy a multi-sized tool on ebay for less than ten bucks. Search for motorcycle axle tool.

-Gary
2014 V-Strom 1000 - Desert Khaki
2016 GSX-S1000FA
2012 DR650SE
2011 Burgman 400
2007 Honda Helix
2013 V-Strom 650 - sold
post #9 of 30 Old 11-04-2015, 11:57 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul n Dixie View Post
Years ago I heard of an old bikers trick...to wear pantyhose under yer
jeans to keep warm...yeah right. didnt feel right buying them, felt ffn weird wearin them.Itchy stupid things.
Not sure I had to share that information.. :embarassed:
Did you shave your legs first??

Never argue with an idiot.......they drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!
post #10 of 30 Old 11-05-2015, 01:13 AM
Stromthusiast!

Great idea! I might give them another go! at the time my legs were the least of my worries... uh oh...not more shaving?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
axle , guard , radiator , wrench

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode