2014 DL1000 Engine knock...what is going on? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 10-30-2015, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Exclamation 2014 DL1000 Engine knock...what is going on?

Hey everybody, new to the site...just joined to see how many of you have had a similar problem such as mine. I have a '14 Storm and I just changed the oil in it at the 600 mile service, myself. Took it on a ride and noticed that there is a very distinct knock in the motor, even at idle and under load. Not going to ride it until I get a hold of the dealer, I just got it about a month ago. I would like to go in a little more informed before I talk to them about it, so any help is greatly appreciated.

The sound is like piston slap. Before the oil change, it was completely quiet, (as quite as these are). I KNOW what these are supposed to sound like, this is not my first Suzuki twin, but this noise is bad enough to make me want to trailer it to my dealer.

HELP?!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 10-30-2015, 10:04 PM
Stromthusiast!

Do a search for "idle hammer". Short answer is just ride it. I think someone makes a cure but you have to take the engine apart? Disclaimer: I've never dealt with this problem.

-Gary
2014 V-Strom 1000 - Desert Khaki
2016 GSX-S1000FA
2012 DR650SE
2011 Burgman 400
2007 Honda Helix
2013 V-Strom 650 - sold
post #3 of 27 Old 10-30-2015, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dub View Post
Do a search for "idle hammer". Short answer is just ride it. I think someone makes a cure but you have to take the engine apart? Disclaimer: I've never dealt with this problem.
Thanks, G-DUB...but here's the issue, the knock isn't just at idle, and all through the RPM range...this is really driving me nuts. I think my KLR 650 might make less noise than this thing does now.

Thanks for the help

post #4 of 27 Old 10-30-2015, 10:46 PM
Stromthusiast!

Definitely not right.
post #5 of 27 Old 10-31-2015, 12:38 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT Strom View Post
Thanks, G-DUB...but here's the issue, the knock isn't just at idle, and all through the RPM range...this is really driving me nuts. I think my KLR 650 might make less noise than this thing does now.

Thanks for the help
Don't know about that problem, hopefully someone on here has suggestions.

-Gary
2014 V-Strom 1000 - Desert Khaki
2016 GSX-S1000FA
2012 DR650SE
2011 Burgman 400
2007 Honda Helix
2013 V-Strom 650 - sold
post #6 of 27 Old 10-31-2015, 10:24 AM
Stromthusiast!

Let's hear it. Take a video and post it.
post #7 of 27 Old 10-31-2015, 12:52 PM
Stromthusiast!

I agree with Rob. If it's truly that bad it should show in a video.

The 600 mile service knock is normal, but if you really think it's worse than it should be then by all means get it looked at.

With nothing else to go on, my guess is that currently there is nothing wrong with your engine.

Steve,
2014 Vee2.
Givi Airflow, Givi crash bars.
Oxford Adventure grips.
Hindle Carbon Muffler.
Touratech handguards, Touratech skid plate.
Rox 1"x1" risers, RK Gold X-ring chain.
post #8 of 27 Old 11-06-2015, 06:59 AM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

I just bought a 2014 DL1000A two weeks ago. After first service I noticed it knocking when warm. No knock until it warms up. Took it to dealer and they said it was the clutch basket. It goes away at approx 2000 RPM, or in gear loaded up (brakes on).

Dealer said that the high moly break-in oil prevented it, and maybe different oil would help. So I went and changed out to full synthetic Castrol 20-50, maybe a bit more quiet, but not much.

Put on 2200 miles in the past 10 days. Annoying knock at idle is disconcerting. I will be taking to the dealer as soon as I do more research. It's the ONLY thing I don't like about this bike, and don't feel I should have to live with a loud knock at idle.
post #9 of 27 Old 11-06-2015, 08:50 AM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKGlee View Post
I just bought a 2014 DL1000A two weeks ago. After first service I noticed it knocking when warm. No knock until it warms up. Took it to dealer and they said it was the clutch basket. It goes away at approx 2000 RPM, or in gear loaded up (brakes on).

Dealer said that the high moly break-in oil prevented it, and maybe different oil would help. So I went and changed out to full synthetic Castrol 20-50, maybe a bit more quiet, but not much.

Put on 2200 miles in the past 10 days. Annoying knock at idle is disconcerting. I will be taking to the dealer as soon as I do more research. It's the ONLY thing I don't like about this bike, and don't feel I should have to live with a loud knock at idle.
There can be noises coming from a clutch basket, or at least they are easy to blame on a clutch basket as the noise changes when you pull in the clutch lever. Since your new Vee just had the first service, there is no way the clutch basket is making hardly any noise as there is no real wear in it yet. It is mainly transmission noises from the bearings, gears, and shafts spinning at idle. They slow down or stop when the clutch lever is pulled in. More of a mechanical metallic sound from the clutch basket and transmission.

There is a connection between first oil change and the idle hammer noise. I cannot say it has to do with the type of oil from the factory, but it seems too common that the noise is first heard after the first service. Yes, 20-50 oil softens the noise. If the "high moly" oil prevented it from the factory, you can bet someone has tried that kind of oil since then. I have heard no positive results about it.

It is a known character trait of these engines. I have been watching this for years and have NEVER heard of any mechanical failures or problems coming from it. I think the new generation Vee is quieter overall than the older ones and perhaps the noise is more obvious.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
post #10 of 27 Old 11-06-2015, 09:52 AM
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

It has also been suggested that the noise may go away or become less prominent as the cam chain tensioner does it's thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode