Fog light upgrade - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 01-16-2015, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Fog light upgrade

When I bought my vee2 they had a promotion where I could recieve a free accessory package. Either a set of crash bars and fog lights, or a top case and mounting plate, I decide to go with the crash bars and lights.

After installing them,I wasn't quite happy with them, they were great for being seen, but did little to light up the road, as well, they shut off when you turned on your high beams.

I had a set of rigid industries dually led lights left from my old vee, and decided to swap out the oem fogs for these much brighter lights, they are about 1500 lumens each and draw 1.4 amps each, so I could still use the harness for the oem lights with a bit of modification.

These were the oem lights
ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1421449525.372824.jpg

I had to remove the side cover where the relays were installed for the oem lights, the blue relay was a nc relay triggered by the high beam, cutting the power to the lights, I wanted to run them at the same time for maximum lighting at night so I removed the trigger wires and bypassed the relay
ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1421449550.685300.jpg

The new new lights mounted using the oem hardware, minus the shrouds
ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1421449661.177532.jpg

The lights are the flood pattern, on the road they light up the whole road, sky, ditch, and just about everything else
ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1421449816.658622.jpg

I'm really happy with them, I had them on a light bar for my old vee Triggered with the high beams
ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1421450105.500361.jpg

14' DL1000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 03-17-2015, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

I picked up a set of removable Amber lenses for the fog lights, partly to dim the blinding sun like light coming from them, partly cause I thought it would look cool. 😄

They just clip on, so they are removable, and they will protect the clear lense from damage

Regular low beam

Low beam plus fogs

Nice visibility

14' DL1000
post #3 of 20 Old 03-18-2015, 04:45 AM
Stromthusiast!

My fog lights, as supplied by Suzuki, stay on with low and high beams. IIRC there are relays to control which options are available.

post #4 of 20 Old 03-18-2015, 06:21 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oop North John View Post
My fog lights, as supplied by Suzuki, stay on with low and high beams. IIRC there are relays to control which options are available.

I think it may depend on your local DOT regulations, and they supply the appropriate relays as such. Mine included both normally open and normally closed relays, the open triggered by the aux connector, the closed (open when triggered) triggered by the highbeams I just removed and bypassed the high beam relay

14' DL1000
post #5 of 20 Old 03-18-2015, 07:09 AM
Stromthusiast!

Since my previous bike, the Glee, I have decided I don't want to spend the money Suzuki asks for fog lights, so I went on and purchased cheap chinese DRL's (spent 10 on pair, from eBay). Then I've got handlebars switch, also on eBay, for 6. I'm good at electronics so I made all the harness needed and installed the relay. Then I changed the bike, to Vee2. Transfered my DRL's to new bike, made little light bar bellow main beam. They are 15W, arround 1000 lumens each. As I always had to switch them off for the night riding, I decided to install one more pair, for night riding. This pair, again from eBay for 12, is 20W. I installed triple layer of professional lighting filter, to match the color of main beam, and cut the light output, so I could use it at night. Monted the setup on Givi Crashbars. Then I worked on the switch. As it has 3 positions, I have one position for the day DRL, one position for the night lights and on position for OFF. I opened the switch and installe blue LED warning for when DRL's are on, so I don't forget to commute the switch for night riding as I don't want to blind oncoming traffic.
To resume, my bike now has, beside main light assembly, 4 extra lights (2 pairs). In total, I've spent arround 30 for all the bits, and lot of work and love.
It's important to say that all the extra lighting, for day and night, I installed not to give the bike more light output, but to make the bike much more visible. I can see it's all working well, as the traffic is moving away when I'm filtering between lanes. It means, I'm spotted in the mirrors of the cars at the front. Also, I noticed I have lot less problems with cars cutting my way from side streets. So, it's working.

2017 DL1000 White
2014 DL1000 Red (sold)
2012 DL650 White (sold)
post #6 of 20 Old 03-18-2015, 10:28 AM
DLV
Stromthusiast!

Cyclops 3.7 light

I just installed cyclops 3.7 long range lights. with a dimmer which allows me to set difference intensity. 50% with low beam and 100% with high beam. did a write up on adv, heres the link. 2014 DL1000 Vstrom - Page 231 - ADVrider

flgolfer29 likes this.
post #7 of 20 Old 03-18-2015, 07:20 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLV View Post
I just installed cyclops 3.7 long range lights. with a dimmer which allows me to set difference intensity. 50% with low beam and 100% with high beam. did a write up on adv, heres the link. 2014 DL1000 Vstrom - Page 231 - ADVrider

Read your write up on ADV site. I have the same color and accessories that you do. After seeing the Jessie's bags now I not sure which bags to buy now! Those Jessies look awesome.

14 VStrom 1000
92 BMW K75S
73 BMW R60/5
post #8 of 20 Old 03-18-2015, 10:42 PM
DLV
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbimmer View Post
Read your write up on ADV site. I have the same color and accessories that you do. After seeing the Jessie's bags now I not sure which bags to buy now! Those Jessies look awesome.
Thanks, I have the 8" as you may have read. the boxes really are nice.
post #9 of 20 Old 03-19-2015, 11:44 AM
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

I have always passed on the opportunity to carry the clip on color lenses. After seeing these pics I think I will add them to our line up.

Auxiliary LED Lighting - AdventureTech, LLC.
post #10 of 20 Old 03-19-2015, 12:33 PM
Stromthusiast!

Yesterday, on a straight portion of a country road, I saw a bike coming toward with amber colored lights similar to Dave's, holy crap, I could see him a quarter of a mile away. As he got closer, much closer, I could see he had on a bright yellow jacket. The lights were way more visible than the jacket.
I'm sure he never saw me, I was in stealth mode, invisible. :-)

2014 DL1000 ADV
2006 DL1000 125,000 miles (Sold!!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode