Mirror Extenders. - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 06-27-2014, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Mirror Extenders.

Mine just arrived. Peeled back the rubber on the mirror stem and put a fair sized adjustable on the lower nut. No give, no way. Same on the upper. My 15 box end didn't fit so I went looking for a 16. Sure nuff they don't supply those in those damn kits. My next one is a 17. Didn't really want to put a hammer to an adjustable but still might. But first...
Has anyone put these on? Any trouble getting the mirrors loose? Doesn't look like reverse threads in there so I'm going for counter clockwise. Haven't tried heat yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 06-27-2014, 03:52 PM
Stromthusiast!

You may want to use two wrenchs, one on each nut, the lower kept still while undoing the top one first then loosen the lower, that's how I did my 650. Also, may be a reverse nut, but I've found them to be on the left side only and mostly non-Japanese...............
post #3 of 20 Old 06-27-2014, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

It was the left side I tried. Wish I knew that for sure. And, sure don't have to worry bout the lower nut moving. Nothing is moving! Will try the right side to see if it frees up.
Wow. just put some extreme pressure to the right side and no go. Took a couple of swings with the hammer and started to mark up the nuts.
Guess I'm off to find a couple of 16 mms

OK. Just talked to the dealer. No reverse threads but it is a two wrench deal and you have to break the top free first.

Cheez. I'm just not getting anywhere. 16mms are too small. 17 are sloppy big. What is that? Must be American or something. I did put two 17 wrenches on and reefed like Hell. Again, no give. I'll be getting the torch out next.

Last edited by ToadRide; 06-27-2014 at 08:28 PM.

post #4 of 20 Old 06-27-2014, 10:08 PM
Stromthusiast!

I put the mirror extenders on when I first got the bike. They went on without a hitch.

They completely transform the rearward view.
post #5 of 20 Old 06-27-2014, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Well, unless you've got a different bike than me. Like I said, 16 mm was just a bit shy and 17 mm was sloppy big. 21, no way.
Anyhoo...it's done. With more than a hitch. Turns out the mirrors themselves are reverse threads. The nut underneath is regular. On both sides. A mighty heave on the left had it let go. That was cranking it clockwise. The other side still would not give. And I did DW it. Threw on a hefty pair of Vise Grips and gave it a few whacks with the hammer and it final let go.
So, great. Threw on the extenders with the provided Allen bolts and they snugged up nicely. The mirrors, not so much. The first few threads I could feel drag and they got tighter and tighter after that. Both would not go in more than six turns. I backed them out and WD'd them but it didn't help. Put them both back on to as far as they would go (about half way in) and tightened down the locking nut. These are Motechs and are nicely machined but I am wondering if the painted threads has anything to do with it. Either that or the threads are slightly mismatched. I would suggest thread chasing but where you gonna find a chaser for a backwards thread?
post #6 of 20 Old 06-28-2014, 12:03 AM
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

I have video on my site with instructions for installing mirror extenders.

The 2014 DL1000, like the Glee, has left hand threads on the upper nut and right hand threads on the lower nut.\

Check the video for more details.

Mirror Extender Instructions - AdventureTech, LLC.

It should be the same no matter whose mirror extenders you install.
post #7 of 20 Old 06-28-2014, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlandrick View Post
I have video on my site with instructions for installing mirror extenders.

The 2014 DL1000, like the Glee, has left hand threads on the upper nut and right hand threads on the lower nut.\

Check the video for more details.

Mirror Extender Instructions - AdventureTech, LLC.

It should be the same no matter whose mirror extenders you install.
And so it is. Man, if I'd only seen that video an hour ago. Feelin like the world's biggest fool right now. And on the world wide web too. with all the world to see.
Did not install the lower nut. Went out, unscrewed the mirrors. Was able to rethread the lower nut and screw the mirrors in on top. Cheesh!
post #8 of 20 Old 06-28-2014, 06:38 AM
Stromthusiast!

I had them on my 03 so I knew about the reverse thread, mine went on slicker than goose poop on a pump handle. I got them both with Ram Mounts, such a barfgain. Thanks Rick for a great product.

2014 khaki V2
01 KTM LC4 640 Enduro
post #9 of 20 Old 06-06-2015, 06:51 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

I bought some of Rich's extenders with farkle mounts. I now don't have to look at my shoulders. Sitting at a stop light is much more comfortable as I can easily see what is going behind me. Thanks Rich.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015-06-03_adventuretech_mirror_extenders_with_farkle_mounts_1050.jpg (101.0 KB, 21 views)

2014 DL1000 Adventure - (best bike I've owned until the dirt road ends)
2006 KLR 650
[URL="http://bruceatkinson.com/mc/mc.html"] Some other bikes I've owned[/URL]
post #10 of 20 Old 06-06-2015, 07:42 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Gehts View Post
I put the mirror extenders on when I first got the bike. They went on without a hitch.

They completely transform the rearward view.
Do the extenders place the mirrors out far enough to stop the wind from blasting directly down on to the back of your hand?

Last edited by Stromaholic; 06-06-2015 at 07:43 PM. Reason: clarification
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode