Throttle lock? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 Old 05-30-2014, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Throttle lock?

I put a little over 800 miles on the bike in the past three days and the only thing that bothered me was not having a throttle lock, hand got pretty cramped up. Anyone have a good recommendation? I prefer one that can be "adjusted" so that it'll stay where set while cruising, but can be manually closed if needed, rather than having to press a lever etc in case of emergency.

Of course, the less expensive, the better. The one I have on my '88 BMW K75 works like a dream. It's nothing but a nylon tipped knurled set screw that you turn in to the desired friction; extremely low tech, cost about $10.00, installed and works perfectly!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 05-30-2014, 02:50 PM
Stromthusiast!

Get this one. Pretty simple.

DO NOT get this one It slides out of position. I have it and will be gifting it to a cruiser friend that has thicker handles.
post #3 of 45 Old 05-30-2014, 03:13 PM
Stromthusiast!

Yep. that's what I use. Unfortunately, I have the do not use one. I can see how an adjuster is the way to go and will prolly drill it to take a slim screw.

post #4 of 45 Old 05-30-2014, 04:07 PM
Stromthusiast!

I have the 20.00 plastic version (GoCruise). Works fine.

Lord , if I have to look like a Power Ranger , can it at least be Amy Jo Johnson?
post #5 of 45 Old 05-30-2014, 05:01 PM
$tromtrooper

I have the Omni Cruise. I think I paid $20 at a motorcycle show. Lives on my throttle, works great.
http://www.omni-cruise.com/

L2 DL650 Adventure

bike X miles=smiles
smiles bike=miles
smiles miles=bike.
It's simple math.
https://www.directavionics.com/
post #6 of 45 Old 05-31-2014, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Anyone tried the kyoko one?
post #7 of 45 Old 05-31-2014, 02:49 PM
Stromthusiast!

Saw the prices. Nein!
post #8 of 45 Old 05-31-2014, 04:16 PM
Stromthusiast!

KAOKO Throttle Lock

Quote:
Originally Posted by 390beretta View Post
Anyone tried the kyoko one?
I just installed the KAOKO throttle lock, SKU: VS 1000 UW, on my Vee2 and it installed and functioned without any modifications. It was really tight going inside the handle bar tube but it did go in without any reaming of the tube. Once I set the proper spacing before tightening the set screw, it worked just like it is suppose to do. I tried it out on a 150 mile loop yesterday to see how I liked it. It is awkward to use and I guess with enough experience, I could do it gracefully, but not yet. I ended up just setting it with enough drag so the throttle would stay put when I took my hand off, and then I adjusted the throttle position as needed along the way.

The KAOKO throttle lock is well made but over priced. They should include a matching bar end weight for the other side for the price they are charging, but they don't, and they don't match and it looks funny.

I had an NEP throttle lock on my '08 Vee and it worked way better than this KAOKO device and a whole lot cheaper. I have an NEP throttle lock on order for the Vee2 (although the company says they don't make one for it). I will have to figure out a way to secure it to the throttle cable housing, as I did with the '08 Vee, but I can do that.

Bottom line is that, for those that prefer the KAOKO throttle lock, the one they made for the previous generation DL1000, will fit the new Vee2 with no modifications.
post #9 of 45 Old 05-31-2014, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Jim, thanks for your comments; helpful. Can you say a little more about why the Kaoko is awkward to use? As I said in my original post, I'm looking for one that I can adjust just to the point where the throttle remains where set, but the rider can turn it off/shut down in case of emergency without flipping a lever etc. Best of luck! Con
post #10 of 45 Old 05-31-2014, 10:32 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 390beretta View Post
Jim, thanks for your comments; helpful. Can you say a little more about why the Kaoko is awkward to use? As I said in my original post, I'm looking for one that I can adjust just to the point where the throttle remains where set, but the rider can turn it off/shut down in case of emergency without flipping a lever etc. Best of luck! Con
The KAOKO throttle lock is awkward because it is very difficult to keep the throttle at the same setting (with three fingers), while cruising down the road, and then manipulate the tension of the throttle lock adjustment wheel at the same time with your little finger. I have pretty good dexterity but that is a little much for me. It got easier as the day went on but it is still awkward.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode