Installing the Garmin Zumo 660 on the new 2014 DL 1000 ABS - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 05-27-2014, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Installing the Garmin Zumo 660 on the new 2014 DL 1000 ABS

Hi my fellow Stormtroopers,

I like to share my experience and outline the way I installed my Garmin Zumo 660 on the new V-Strom.
The challenge on the Zumo 660 is that there are a lot of cable from the motorcycle mount like audio, mic, USB, power. I intend was to install it in a war that I can hook up the cables without breaking my fingers all the time and that the audio cable disconnects by itself if it has to go fast.

I ordered the navigation mount from Home - Online-Shop , the device is very stable, it only vibrates a bit when you ride on low RPM's. I attached the power to the power plug on the back of the cockpit on the original power plug. Take out the two plastic pin's on top, unscrew the two allen screws on the bottom and forward the whole cockpit. I run the cable through the side of the windshield mount and along the frame to the joint head.

So far so good, but I did not want to buy a 30.- Euro handle bar mount jut for the audio and the mic cable. Instead I bought a brass dowel/thread pod from Fischer Dbel (fischer group of companies – Innovationen vom Erfinder der fischer Dübel: Brass fixing MS).

Wrapped some duct tape around it until it fitted the joint head. The hollow screw of the joint head has a diameter of app. 13 mm, the dowel has a diameter of 10 mm. I cut a piece of aluminum profile, drilled there holes in it, made it look nice, used a screw to attach it to the joint head. I used rubber sealing rings and retaining rings to attach it to the aluminum profile. All together about 5 Euros and an hour work!

Gru Edde.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG3907.jpg (65.2 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG3904.jpg (63.3 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG3906.jpg (51.1 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG3909.jpg (44.4 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG3913.jpg (66.3 KB, 26 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-27-2014, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

This is the original Garmin Mount with the cables!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Garmin Halterung.jpg (9.9 KB, 26 views)
post #3 of 13 Old 06-02-2014, 02:11 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garmin Mount

I tried to order this mount, Motorrod Navihaulter, but I can not get past the PayPal button. I called PayPal and they say the problem is not with them. I tried e-mailing the company through their website but that will not go through either. Anyone else from the U.S. have this problem?

post #4 of 13 Old 06-02-2014, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Hi Ridesalot, I just looked at the Website, seems allright to me. Try "[email protected]", that is the E-Mail address the confirmation came from.

Edde
post #5 of 13 Old 06-02-2014, 07:46 PM
Stromthusiast!

Thanks, Edde. I will try that.
post #6 of 13 Old 06-03-2014, 08:18 AM
Stromthusiast!

Anyone else think the GPS bracket looks like it escape from a building site scaffold store? Not one that will be on my buying list if / when I change bikes.
post #7 of 13 Old 06-03-2014, 09:57 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oop North John View Post
Anyone else think the GPS bracket looks like it escape from a building site scaffold store? Not one that will be on my buying list if / when I change bikes.
John, I think the bracket looks functional. Suzuki engineers did not incorporate an upper tubular windshield support like those used by both Triumph Explorer and BMW R12GS. For those V-2 riders who want their GPS mount to be above the instrument cluster, an alternate design must be created. A while back, Peter created a mount by drilling through the windshield. He used the standard windshield and his idea worked quite well as he showed in his video. I am using the taller touring windshield and Peter's idea is not working as well for me due to flexing of the taller shield. The V-2 windshields are "loosely" mounted through rubber grommets which allow some movement of the shield. The bracket in Edde's post has 4 mounting points to the the metal V-2 windshield brackets. For me this should provide a more steady mount for the GPS. Could it look better? Maybe. Perhaps other fabricators will be offering their solution to the problem.
post #8 of 13 Old 06-03-2014, 10:01 AM
Stromthusiast!

I've looked into mounting the GPS on the windshield in the past and have always found it is just a wee bit out of my comfortable sight zone. My new Zumo 390 is mounted on a ram at the handlebar and is just right. I wear glasses and that's what works for me. I don't think ugly is an issue. It's just a mount.
post #9 of 13 Old 06-03-2014, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Hey guys, I am not claiming that this is the perfect solution, it is one that was available and it is working! The reason I prefer the mounting above the cockpit is that I dont have to look down and defocus on the street. I had the same position for the GPS on my old V-Strom, it is better than looking down and leave the focus off the street. On the other hand, the reason it vibrates is not the mount itself, it is because it is bolted to the spring loaded windshield mounts. I am riding with it for 4 weeks now and I can say it is acceptable. I am certain with time and experience there will be other solutions, better and worse. I am looking forward to your alls experience.

Edde
post #10 of 13 Old 06-03-2014, 02:34 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by edde View Post
Hey guy’s, I am not claiming that this is the perfect solution, it is one that was available and it is working! The reason I prefer the mounting above the cockpit is that I don’t have to look down and defocus on the street.
Unless the screen of the GPS is at infinity then looking down at it you will have to refocus your eyes. Those of us who need varifocal help with their eyes know this. I know that military aircraft have head up displays that allow looking at them without loosing the distance focus of the world outside of the cockpit.

Last edited by Oop North John; 06-03-2014 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Spelling mistook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode