Turning off ABS - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 05-17-2014, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Turning off ABS

I know suzuki would not recommend it, however....

My question is, if you pull the fuze, or get the wiring kit from Eastern Beaver, does it impact the traction control?

Lots of systems use the ABS sensors to detect wheel spin, so I was thinking that if you removed the power from the ABS system, would that cause the system not to be able to use the wheel sensors to limit wheel spin. (If in fact Suzuki does it this way)

Anyone in the know?

Thanks..... OldMedic

Sick and Stupid people keep me employed....

Bikes: 81 Yamaha RD350(x2), 82 Yamaha RD350, 82 Honda FT500, 84 Yamaha FJ1100(x2), 85 Yamaha RZ500, 86 Yamaha SRX600, 03 Suzuki Burgman 650, 03 Suzuki DL1000, 08 Suzuki DL650, 14 Suzuki DL1000ADV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-18-2014, 12:55 AM
Stromthusiast!

That is a really good point. No doubt there will be a boffin along at some point who can enlighten us.

L4 DL1000 Black Strom No3
post #3 of 6 Old 05-18-2014, 01:51 AM
Stromthusiast!

Can you pull the fuse and try it? i can't see that hurting anything. See if TC still works and all the gauges etc.

If that causes issues, you could insert a switch to cut power only for the ABS. You would need to research where to put it in that case.

post #4 of 6 Old 05-18-2014, 02:59 AM
Stromthusiast!

There are usually two fuses, one which disables the entire ABS system, and the one that supplies power to the ABS pump.

Leaving the sensors alive and turning off the pump is likely possible and might leave you with TC and no ABS - but seriously - take the bike out and TEST the ABS before you dis it. It's not a BMW and the ABS on the 650 at least works well even places where ABS is supposed to be useless.

Pete
post #5 of 6 Old 05-18-2014, 09:22 PM
Stromthusiast!

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteW View Post
There are usually two fuses, one which disables the entire ABS system, and the one that supplies power to the ABS pump.

Leaving the sensors alive and turning off the pump is likely possible and might leave you with TC and no ABS - but seriously - take the bike out and TEST the ABS before you dis it. It's not a BMW and the ABS on the 650 at least works well even places where ABS is supposed to be useless.

Pete
I'd go along with that. I was going down a slope on my loose gravel drive when I grabbed the brake a bit harder than normal, due to one of my dogs getting in the way. It pulled me up nicely with only the ABS oscillation felt in the lever.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-18-2014, 10:16 PM
Stromthusiast!

I've had the rear wheel lock under braking a couple of times while going down rooted/sandy inclines. So far, I've not found the need to disable the ABS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode