Tail light, brake and rear turn signal wiring - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 Old 05-15-2014, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Tail light, brake and rear turn signal wiring

When I installed an AdMore Lighting kit to my top case, I found out that the wiring harness configuration for the DL1000A is very different than the DL650 and from what I have read, the legacy DL1000. After figuring it out, I thought I'd post what I found to work for me, in case anyone else needs this info and also lacks a service manual and schematic:

Looking at the taillight wiring, you'll see that the major difference is that there are three groups of wiring leading back to the tail, two groups have a connector that is easily accessed, while the other group basically runs straight through. The two groups with connectors use different styles - one is a 4-lead square-type connector and the other is an oval/round two-pin connector. Decoupling the connectors reveals that the group using the 4-lead square connector controls the taillights, while the two-lead round connector serves some other purpose entirely. Ergo, the straight-through wire group is your taillight and brake light.

Since all wire groups have a Black/White wire, it's easy to guess those are the ground wires, and this matches wire color coding on previous-year DL's I believe.

So here's what I came up with that worked for me:

Straight-Through wiring group:
White/Black.....Brake light
Black/White.....Ground
Brown.............Tail light hot

Square 4-pin connector- turn signals do not function when disconnected, brake and tail light works:
(one wire transitions to different color coding on other side of connector)

Connector "In" (from center of bike):....Connector "Out" (toward tail light):
Black .............................................Black .......................................Left turn signal
Black/White.....................................Black/White...............................Ground
Brown............................................. Grey.......................................Tail light hot?
Light Green......................................Light Green...............................Right turn signal

Round 2-pin connector - tail light, brake light, and turn signals still function when disconnected:
Black/White.......Ground
White...............???

I have a spare Eastern Beaver taillight wiring adapter for my Wee that I was hoping might work on this bike but the different arrangement rules it out, bummer.

"Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even usually surpassing knowledge." - E.J. Potter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 05-15-2014, 09:33 PM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
Except for the white wire, those are the same colors as other models use though the connectors are different.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informa...-you-have.html
post #3 of 36 Old 05-16-2014, 07:11 AM
Stromthusiast!

So does the white wire power the number plate light?
If not, where does it go? If you follow where it is routed to?

L4 DL1000 Black Strom No3

post #4 of 36 Old 07-13-2014, 12:03 AM
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Hello owners of the new DL1000A. I now have new tail/brake and signal adapters. Connectors are different now so there's two new adapters for this bike. I'll be putting them online later today.

Also available will be spare connectors to plug in your aftermarket signals.

Jim Davis, Owner, Eastern Beaver Company:
http://easternbeaver.com/ - Motorcycle Electrics: 2007 DL1000 with 16/43 gearing, Superbrace, Tokico 4 Pot fronts, BackoffXP, H4 Dual Relay Kit, PC-8 Fusepanel, 2 Powerlet Sockets, Suzuki Centerstand - 1988 Africa Twin 650, 1990 VFR 750.
post #5 of 36 Old 07-13-2014, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Davis View Post
Hello owners of the new DL1000A. I now have new tail/brake and signal adapters. Connectors are different now so there's two new adapters for this bike. I'll be putting them online later today.

Also available will be spare connectors to plug in your aftermarket signals.
Outstanding! Just what I was hoping for, I don't like poking holes in stock wiring with the posi-taps. URL Link is...?

If I were to redo my Admore turn/brake signal wiring properly with an EB adapter(s), anyone have ideas on what should/could be done about holes in the wiring insulation that are left after removal of posi-taps? Leave 'em and smear a little dialectric grease on 'em to fill the pits and avoid corrosion down the road?

"Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even usually surpassing knowledge." - E.J. Potter
post #6 of 36 Old 07-13-2014, 09:38 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoopy View Post
Leave 'em and smear a little dialectric grease on 'em to fill the pits and avoid corrosion down the road?
Use a little liquid electrical tape. Liquid Tape: Unity in Quality | Plasti Dip International is one of many suppliers. Check you local hardware or big box store.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informa...-you-have.html
post #7 of 36 Old 07-13-2014, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
Use a little liquid electrical tape. Liquid Tape: Unity in Quality | Plasti Dip International is one of many suppliers. Check you local hardware or big box store.
Thanks! I have some sitting in a cabinet in my garage and just keep forgetting it's there!

post #8 of 36 Old 07-13-2014, 02:53 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoopy View Post
Thanks! I have some sitting in a cabinet in my garage and just keep forgetting it's there!
Foget it for a few years after initial use and it may not be liquid any more.

post #9 of 36 Old 11-07-2014, 02:15 PM
TRM
Stromthusiast!

Any advice on why the set up in the attached pic is not working? Its a BackOff XP and Eastern Beaver adapter? Is the wire mapping correct?

BackOff/Adapter
Red to Red
Black to Black
White/red stripe to Purple
Adapter Blue has a posilock on it just to protect the wire

I plugged in the adapter and only get running light, then i connected Red to Purple on the adapter and I get running and brake lights, which is why i thought that same configuration should work with the BackOff. I assume Blue wire is my low-intensity wire and is just a pass through?

Anyway, Signal Dynamics recommended bench testing the BackOff XP unit, so I guess I'll try to rig that up.

Thanks, TRM in SA
Attached Images
File Type: jpg backoff beaver wiring.jpg (74.9 KB, 74 views)
post #10 of 36 Old 11-07-2014, 03:48 PM

Garage
For those of us who don't have a BackOff, what is it supposed to connect to by name?

Ground -
Brake light hot -
tail/license light hot -

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode