Suspension Settings - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 05-14-2014, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Suspension Settings

Just checking to see if anyone has played with the suspension settings on the new v-strom. Factory settings seem to be good for my 200 lbs but just a little harsh on rough roads. Handles really well but if I back off rebound and compression will I take away from handling? Any suggestions would be great. Should I have dealer help with setting Sag etc. ?

Later

FastLane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-15-2014, 07:25 AM
Stromthusiast!

Similar weight and found the standard settings are fine for reasonable roads. Maybe I'd up the rebound a notch or two for really good roads if I felt the need for speed and drop it down a couple for rough or dirt roads.

On dirt corrugations it definitely felt like it needed softening up all round, so I'd back off the preload a touch.

Always good to set the sag properly, but I'll wait for things to loosen up before I do.
post #3 of 9 Old 05-15-2014, 03:03 PM
Stromthusiast!

I come in at 165-170 with riding gear. I was too easily getting airborne over small bumps, which is fine when you want or expect it. I backed everything off two clicks and that helped quite a bit. Still need a little more fine tuning though.

My dealership person told me I should wait till the bike was broken in before adjusting the suspension - as though the preload would have any affect on the engine breaking in. Probably just upset that i did not buy the extended warranty.

post #4 of 9 Old 05-15-2014, 03:17 PM
Stromthusiast!

I can see minor changes in the suspension as parts wear together, but that might mean a re-adjustment, not a postponed adjustment.

Set the sag with the preload adjusters. This relates to centering the suspension for your loaded riding weight. (This oversimplifies things, but it is close enough for now.) Does the new 1000 have the same suspension travel as the older stroms; if so that means about a 40 mm sag front & rear. If the total travel is different, follow this info and let us all know the result: The Science and Black Magic of Suspension Setup

After you set the sag, set the compression and rebound damping. Compression is how fast the damper is allowed to shorten. Rebound is how fast it is allowed to extend. Start at the middle of the setting range. Find a road with repeating bumps. Ride. Do you want softer (faster) compression? Change the setting halfway toward full soft. Ride again. Good? Too soft? Increase half of what you just did. Too firm? Soften half way of what you did. Test again, and keep moving half the remaining way. Notes of your changes may be helpful. Test the rebound setting. Too tight doesn't give it time to fully extend before the next bump is hit (packing). Too soft allows it to pogo-stick. Make the same half-way adjustments until you find the spot that is right for your riding.

"Older people who are reasonable, good-tempered, and gracious will bear aging well. Those who are mean-spirited and irritable will be unhappy at every period of their lives.

"Let each of use properly whatever strengths he has and strive to use them well. If he does this, he will never find himself lacking."

Marcus Tullius Cicero
44 B.C.
post #5 of 9 Old 05-17-2014, 08:15 AM

I weigh in at 225lbs and I found the suspension a little harsh as well. I had a friend help me with the sag measurements and found that I was only getting 30mm at the rear and 25mm front. I dialled out all the fork per-load and two clicks pre-load out of the rear. I also dialled out two clicks of the rebound and compression damping and one turn out on the rear shock damping. Bike handles fine, for my tastes.
IMHO, Get a buddy to help you with the sag measure, stay away from Dealerships for minor adjustments like this!
post #6 of 9 Old 05-17-2014, 08:34 PM
Stromthusiast!

At 6'5" and 225 lbs. I've set sag at 20% front (32 mm or 1 3/8 inch) and rear at 30% (48 mm or 1 7/8 inch) I've reduced the front compression 2 clicks (9 out from seated) to take out some of the harshness on potholes. Rebound at the front is 6 clicks out from seated (in 1 click from stock). Rear rebound is set a 1 turn out from seated which is 1/2 turn in from the punch mark on the shock. I seem to find that Japanese bikes come with too much compression (harsh on sharp bumps) and too little rebound (wallowing, unsettled feeling). The stock suspension is much better than first generation Stroms, but there is still a gap to the Penske/Ohlins level of perfection. So far, I can live happily with the new Strom suspension and keep the $1000-$1500 upgrade cost in my pocket.
If the suspension feels harsh, the first thing I'd do is to reduce the compression damping. Change only one adjustment at a time and evaluate it. If you adjust preload, compression, and rebound all at the same time, it's impossible to tell which individual adjustment is better and which is worse. Your chances of guessing right on all 3 adjustments at once is pretty much zero.

Last edited by Farmer Hank; 05-17-2014 at 08:46 PM.
post #7 of 9 Old 05-19-2014, 10:55 PM
$tromtrooper

At 175lbs, the first thing I had to do was back-off the pre-load to get proper sag. This provided a much more comfortable, less harsh ride, but left some hobby-horsing. Cranking the rebound a half turn front and back has cleaned things up. I now have to put some more miles on with this setup to see where I am, but it's much improved over when I bought it.
post #8 of 9 Old 05-19-2014, 10:59 PM
Stromthusiast!

I rode with Rick at cogent dynamics this past weekend and he is eager to do some custom stuff for the V2. He has a great line of all made in the USA shocks and can custom tune on his shock dyno. He just did a custom 12" setup on a 1200HD dirtster that is pretty cool.

2014 khaki V2
01 KTM LC4 640 Enduro
post #9 of 9 Old 07-31-2018, 07:33 PM
Stromthusiast!

Bringing back an old thread. Up front I desperately need to change the fork oil as it is original. I have a Cogent custom rear shock. I am 225 lbs.

So the problem was harshness over bumps in the front and I know I have to change the oil but I tried to adjust it out. I was successful in doing this to a degree and it rides a lot better after I backed the compression out two clicks. However I am now getting a high speed wobble so I think I am going to start over or stiffen up the rebound. Of course it's probably all for naught since the oil is most likely toast.

So reviving the thread to hear what you all have for suspension settings these days. Clicks out from seated? What sag setting? Your weight? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode