2014 DL1000--- More Powah!!! - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 Old 05-08-2014, 06:12 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Talking 2014 DL1000--- More Powah!!!

I have owned 2 DL1K's in the past. I enjoyed them a great deal, wonderfully versatile fun machines. To my eyes, the new model looks great and seems to offer a whole lot of bike for the $$.

The reviews from the members are certainly positive, and the moto journalists all seem to really like the bike as well. The only thing that the pros seem to think that the bike lacks is a properly exciting power plant. Now, I am afflicted with the lust for big, stupid wheelie cracking power in my bikes. It is a silly thing, but it is just how I am. I often wish that it wasn't...

Regarding the new bikes motor, I am inclined to think that there is a significant amount of HP to be gained by some well chosen mods for the bike. I honestly have no particular knowledge of its design that would lead me to think this way, but it is just a feeling. I think that Suzuki has it tuned for long life and not for explosive power. My query for you all, who I am sure know far more than myself regarding these matters is; Do you think that the bike can be modded and tuned to make significantly more punch? Like, more punch than similar sized motors when applying standard modifications? I just have a hunch that this bike is going be able to be woken up very, very well.

I realize that this is a somewhat odd question, with blurry clarifications. And, dont bother with the "it's got more power than you'd ever need on the street" thing. Anything approaching 100 HP is capable of all sorts of bally-hoo. I am a responsible rider who has a terrible record, but no crashes in 30 years of riding on the street. When the opportunity presents itself I love an explosive, somewhat terrifying bike. Thank you in advance for your input, sirs!:biggrinjester:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 05-08-2014, 06:52 AM
Stromthusiast!

First let me say that you are right, it was built for longevity (same as Toyota's) so HP is reduced. Having said that, unless you want to spend big bucks to achieve a significant HP, the standard exhaust/PC/ TRE will only extract a 5-7% gain. So, have the engine stripped down, blueprinted, welded rods, race cams, modified fuel system and airbox with new exhaust, all by a professional engine tuner (not some back street wannabe). I have also seen a company in the UK (UK Ebay site) that makes small bolt on superchargers for @$5k, again, you will only gain upto 50% HP, no small feat, but enough nads to pull the front end up in all gears up to 5th.
post #3 of 38 Old 05-08-2014, 08:00 AM
Stromthusiast!

But you will have spent more money overall than a KTM1190.
And you will have to wait with no bike while the work is happening.
I am trying to convince myself that I need more power,(there is a little boy in there goading me on) but I have had such a good run with my DL that it will be hard to buy elsewhere. I like to think the new DL can find a little increase somewhere.

L4 DL1000 Black Strom No3

post #4 of 38 Old 05-08-2014, 08:03 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laava View Post
But you will have spent more money overall than a KTM1190.
And you will have to wait with no bike while the work is happening.
I am trying to convince myself that I need more power,(there is a little boy in there goading me on) but I have had such a good run with my DL that it will be hard to buy elsewhere. I like to think the new DL can find a little increase somewhere.
I agree, KTM 1190 is the way forward if you crave a hooligan bike
post #5 of 38 Old 05-08-2014, 09:00 AM
$tromtrooper

suzuki took this basic motor design up to around 120-125 hp in the TLR 1000 and it is a wheel lifting beast in that platform but that is an edgy touchy bike to ride smoothly and would be a nightmare to live with every day in your DL

the world looks better through my visor :mrgreen:
05 VEE "black betty"
post #6 of 38 Old 05-08-2014, 10:38 AM
Stromthusiast!

You could always try a nitrous kit - much cheaper than a full rebuild and tune. (If anyone thinks I'm not joking,,,,,,,).
post #7 of 38 Old 05-08-2014, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoslow View Post
suzuki took this basic motor design up to around 120-125 hp in the TLR 1000 and it is a wheel lifting beast in that platform but that is an edgy touchy bike to ride smoothly and would be a nightmare to live with every day in your DL
Exactly.......and I have ridden a 150 HP Multistrada, and I can assure everyone that it has way too much HP for the type of bike it is. The engine is not smooth, and the HP it makes is so overkill it is ridiculous. Now the power wheelies were fun at times don't get me wrong, but for the overall package it is simply too much and makes no sense. Same can be said for the new KTM, and rest assured neither bike will last as long as the Strom and will also be in and out of the service department much more often as well. We live in a world full of excess "especially America", and both the KTM and the Ducati were made for bragging rights just because they can do it, does not mean it was an overall great idea. The new Vee2 has a better power delivery and smoother engine than the original, to me that is about perfect for what I need and want. Coming from a 150 hp Concours 14, I find the old 1000 lacking nothing when I whack that throttle.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #8 of 38 Old 05-08-2014, 12:59 PM
Stromthusiast!

I agree with BigB , just look at BMW GS's, if anyone can up the HP output of a bike they can, they didn't! Because you can does not mean you should.
post #9 of 38 Old 05-08-2014, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdaze View Post
I agree with BigB , just look at BMW GS's, if anyone can up the HP output of a bike they can, they didn't! Because you can does not mean you should.
They did up the HP and torque for the latest GS, and the improvements are said to be pretty much motorcycling perfection. The GS is plenty quick and fast, matter of fact it gives up very little if any to the Ducati and the KTM.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #10 of 38 Old 05-08-2014, 01:31 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beartooth View Post
Thank you in advance for your input, sirs! :biggrinjester:
Feel your pain . Don't know about the new gen but swap the gearing an 06 (Vee) and that front wheel pops right up if you are so inclined. You can also lose your license on a first offence in this state.

06 DL1000
2007 Royal Star Tour Deluxe

Last edited by Illinois; 05-08-2014 at 01:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode