Help with Adventure Pannier Locks - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 05-03-2014, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Question Help with Adventure Pannier Locks

After two test rides I decided to Buy a 2014 Vee 2 Adventure. Just picked it up today. $12,500 out the door not including sales tax. All the Adventure parts arrived and were installed by the dealer. Have had many bikes over the last 40 years, and this one seems like its going to be one of my favorites, if not my favorite. Test drove the water cooled and older BMW GS a few times and the KTM 990 & 1190 and many others but came away with the Strom. I had an older 1975 750 Ducati GT for about 20 years, a 750 and 850 Norton Commando, Triumph 1050 Tiger, 1989 Honda NT 650, older Yamaha's and recently sold my Moto Guzzi Stelvio to buy this Strom. It's my first Suzuki. Came close to buying a Wee and older 1000 a few times. My initial impressions are Great! My question is for anyone that has the Adventure Panniers, as there seems to be a problem with the locks on mine. When the side cover is still open and you are about to close it, the rear of the lock mechanism should line up with a square opening in a metal plate. Once fully closed you would simply turn the key to lock it and remove the key. This metal plate opening on mine seems to FLOAT AROUND ON IT'S OWN with any slight movement, which at times prevents it from closing, because the square opening is not in the correct position for the locking mechanism. When this happen the locking mechanism will simply hit the metal plate, not the opening in the metal plate, preventing it from closing. You would think it would be spring loaded and stay in the correct position. Both of my Panniers are like this. I brought the Panniers back to the dealer after I picked up the bike and the service manager fiddled around with it and could not understand why they floated around like that. It was their 1st Adventure model. Not impressed with the dealer, but that doesn't dampen my enthusiasm for the bike. The opening in metal plate can be moved by simply tilting the Panniers slightly if they are off the bike, or moving the metal plate around with a screwdriver or thin object in order to get the opening to line up properly. He said before ordering me a replacement pair, he'd talk to the Suzuki Rep next week, but thought we wouldn't be the only ones with this problem. Are we??? I have no problem removing the Panniers completely from the Bike or putting them back on, the problem is with closing them up. Sometime it closes fine as long as the plate doesn't move out of position, but it doesn't take much to move it out of position. May be I have a defective pair, but I am sure interested in hearing if the locking plate on the Panniers is floating around like mine? You can see this while the Panniers are still on the bike, or remove them and look at where the back of the lock mechanism will enter the square opening. As you begin to close the Pannier, you'll see how it should line up. If you tilt the Panniers, does that plate float around? I look forward to putting some miles on her over the next few day and just with the little I've ridden love the bike so far. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 05-04-2014, 12:13 AM
Stromthusiast!

I don't have the panniers, but of course I have the locks. Looking at the lock, there is a small projection at the rear of the key plate that presumably fits into something on the pannier to stop the lock rotating.When you remove the key the tab is on the same side as the metal plate.

Is it possible that the locks are not installed correctly, or that there is actually no corresponding point on the pannier for the tab to lock into? It certainly looks to have been put there for a reason.
post #3 of 20 Old 05-04-2014, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Yes, there is a small projection at the rear of the key plate that does fit into a plastic opening on the pannier and behind the plastic opening is a metal plate that reinforces the plastic so when you lock it, it's got metal behind it.

While it's possible that the dealer installed the locks incorrectly, it still wouldn't matter because of that metal plate that floats or moves around on its own, which covers the opening and prevents the small projection on the rear of the key from entering the opening. You'd have to see it on the Panniers to understand what I mean. Thanks for trying to help though.

post #4 of 20 Old 05-04-2014, 07:33 AM
Stromthusiast!

That thin metal plate may be installed upside down. When installed correctly it should put tension on the lock.
post #5 of 20 Old 05-04-2014, 04:47 PM
Stromthusiast!

I had the same problem with one of my panniers, fixed by sliding the plate with a screwdriver.

It happened when I removed the bag from the bike, while in the open position. It hasn't reoccurred, however I'm keeping an eye on it.
post #6 of 20 Old 05-04-2014, 08:45 PM
Stromthusiast!

No Panniers but was given the locks (3) keyed to the ignition key. I am wondering if these would work with any other type of luggage.
post #7 of 20 Old 05-05-2014, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Thanks Larry. I guess it's possible the plate is installed upside down. There is no way of accessing it, as it looks like the mechanism is riveted closed. There are two screws in side the Panniers that the service manager unscrewed, but seemed to do nothing. I think the tension on the plate makes sense to keep it from wandering around. Hey V-Gehts, so you fixed it temporarily with a screwdriver. I know exactly what you mean, but it seems to me that it will re- occur again. Hey ToadRide, these may work with other luggage with modifications, but it may be difficult. I had the SW-Motech (Trax) aluminum Panniers on my Guzzi Stelvio and these locks would definitely not work as is. The part that protrudes behind the lock is more of a flat plate rather that what we have.
post #8 of 20 Old 05-20-2015, 05:43 AM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

I've had my brand new 2014 Vstrom for exactly one week. I'm having the same problem with wandering plates on my pannier locks. I love the bike, but the side bags are driving me nuts.

75duc, did you ever figure out a solution to your locks?
post #9 of 20 Old 05-20-2015, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

The problem eventually went away. I took it off the bike sprayed some marine dry lube in and kept opening and closing them. The dealer offered to replace under warranty because he couldn't get them to work either. They started working and have been fine since. A real mystery! Good luck with yours
post #10 of 20 Old 05-20-2015, 12:18 PM
Ago
Stromthusiast!

All in all the stock panniers are total crap!
My last bike (1250 Bandit) had stock factory luggage (I believe it was made by Givi for Suzuki) and was excellent quality I even kept the top box and am using it on the Veek.
If I had taken a closer look at the panniers before buying the bike, I definitely would have gone with aftermarket.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
locks , panniers , trouble shooting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode