Opinions, photos for Suzuki panniers - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 05-02-2014, 04:01 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Post Opinions, photos for Suzuki panniers

What are the factory panniers like for the new bike?
I gather they're only moderately sized, at I think 29+26 litres.. A bit more space would have been nice.

I wondered if anyone can talk about how well they fit onto the bike? Fairly neatly and well, or do they stick out miles to the side? is the space inside pretty usable or is it hard to pack?

Some photos of the cases would be lovely too!

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 05-02-2014, 09:07 AM
Stromthusiast!

I just got my panniers yesterday. They shipped them separately from the motorcycle, (adventure version). I will attach pics later. My impression? Don't like them. I can tell the locking mechanism is not going to hold up, very cheaply made, they are pretty small as well. The left side can hold 2 1 gallon jugs, will find out today after work if it will hold a 12 pack of beer. The right side is even less as it has a huge hump to make room for the exhaust pipe. I'm going to sell them on eBay and get better panniers in the future. They must contract accessories out to another company as the panniers do not match the rest of the bike in terms of quality.
post #3 of 23 Old 05-02-2014, 09:26 AM
$tromtrooper

jmackd1,
Thanks for the honest evaluation. I believe you just made a number of Vstrommers happy knowing they will be buying aftermarket panniers and get what they really want. I hope you are enjoying the GOOD things about the Vee2.

post #4 of 23 Old 05-02-2014, 09:33 AM
Stromthusiast!

I think the aftermarket is going to be the way to go. I'm going to bit the engine guards and center stand from suzuki and that's it. And I'm only getting the engine guards from them due to a discount from the dealer I bought the bike from. Ill buy the bash plate from one of our vendors here, Yan says his will fit the new bike so well see.

2014 khaki V2
01 KTM LC4 640 Enduro
post #5 of 23 Old 05-02-2014, 09:41 AM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Mountain View Post
I think the aftermarket is going to be the way to go. I'm going to bit the engine guards and center stand from suzuki and that's it. And I'm only getting the engine guards from them due to a discount from the dealer I bought the bike from. Ill buy the bash plate from one of our vendors here, Yan says his will fit the new bike so well see.
Jake,
I am pretty much doing the same thing. I did order the Suzuki engine guards on Ebay after recommendations from those that have them as being made well.
I paid 335. no shipping or tax. I will wait for an aftermarket skidplate (hope they come soon as I have a few weekend rides coming up), and have to decide on either retrofitting my Givi V46 topbox or getting a new one. The prices of Suzuki's topbox, panniers and other accessories are crazy.
post #6 of 23 Old 05-02-2014, 11:47 AM
Stromthusiast!

Send a message via AIM to DougInKY Send a message via Skype™ to DougInKY
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirosyd View Post
Jake,
I am pretty much doing the same thing. I did order the Suzuki engine guards on Ebay after recommendations from those that have them as being made well.
I paid 335. no shipping or tax. I will wait for an aftermarket skidplate (hope they come soon as I have a few weekend rides coming up), and have to decide on either retrofitting my Givi V46 topbox or getting a new one. The prices of Suzuki's topbox, panniers and other accessories are crazy.
I decided to go aftermarket on all of my add-ons. The deciding factor for me (if I was to buy a new Wee which I am not) would be the high cost of Suzuki stuff as well as the mediocre quality of their add-ons. There is high quality stuff out there for less than what Suzuki wants for theirs.

------------------
2007 Wee-Strom (*SOLD*)
2009 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive
1980 Honda Express (my toy!)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #7 of 23 Old 05-02-2014, 07:07 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmackd1 View Post
I just got my panniers yesterday. They shipped them separately from the motorcycle, (adventure version). I will attach pics later. My impression? Don't like them. I can tell the locking mechanism is not going to hold up, very cheaply made, they are pretty small as well. The left side can hold 2 1 gallon jugs, will find out today after work if it will hold a 12 pack of beer. The right side is even less as it has a huge hump to make room for the exhaust pipe. I'm going to sell them on eBay and get better panniers in the future. They must contract accessories out to another company as the panniers do not match the rest of the bike in terms of quality.
Here are the pics of the stock panniers..It is confirmed that the left side does in fact hold a 12 pack but for $1600 list price you can find alot better panniers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140502_163344.jpg (88.1 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg 20140502_163357.jpg (91.1 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg 20140502_163543.jpg (92.6 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg 20140502_163631.jpg (91.4 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg 20140502_163723.jpg (95.6 KB, 112 views)
post #8 of 23 Old 05-02-2014, 07:14 PM
Stromthusiast!

More pics, as you can see they are not very big...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140502_163753.jpg (86.8 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg 20140502_163806.jpg (89.4 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg 20140502_163959.jpg (93.0 KB, 110 views)
post #9 of 23 Old 05-03-2014, 12:46 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmackd1 View Post
More pics, as you can see they are not very big...
Picture 163959 says it all

Suzuki went from one side of the scale to the other. The bags on the DL1000 were ginormous. The European surveys Suzuki undertook came back with the riders wishing for smaller bags.

Now they (and we) have those smaller bags. Am I disappointed in the available space? Yes. What's more disappointing is the amount of usable space. I intend to make a box for each that fits the odd space in order to make them more functional for touring.

On the other hand, they look good and are nice to zip through traffic with. If you're just commuting with some wet weather gear, a lunch and a laptop, they work just fine.
post #10 of 23 Old 05-03-2014, 05:19 AM
Stromthusiast!

The BM system panniers on the oilheads were similarly challenged on space and convenience. They were sensible enough to offer bigger lids which added an extra 6 litres per side, which on the exhaust side made it go from not much use to being usable, if you used the inner bags as well. That way for short trips solo you had the narrow width of the small lids, and the carrying capacity for two up trips where essentials like a hair dryer are a pre-condition of being on a trip on the bike, but you lost a little filtering ability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
dl1000a , luggage , panniers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode