Loud horn - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 04-25-2014, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Loud horn

Has anyone come up with an alternative to the stock horn? These stock motorcycle horns are downright dangerous. Installation location?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 04-25-2014, 08:09 PM
Stromthusiast!

I have this. It is loud. I like it. PW is a nice company to do business with and they can hook you up with a 1000 or 650 mounting kit.

PWD Pat Walsh Designs Stebel Horn Kit for V-Strom DL1000

See http://whiskeytangohotel.com/gpi
to build your own V-Strom GPI and save, save, save!
post #3 of 23 Old 04-25-2014, 08:11 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I'm looking at mounting dual Freeway Blasters (Hi & Lo) in the stock underbeak location. Looks like there's room enough. Just a question of bracketry. I haven't yet seen a good mounting location for a Stebel Nautilus.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

"Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even usually surpassing knowledge." - E.J. Potter

post #4 of 23 Old 04-25-2014, 08:23 PM
Stromthusiast!

[QUOTE=Stoopy;2184114]I'm looking at mounting dual Freeway Blasters (Hi & Lo) in the stock underbeak location. Looks like there's room enough. Just a question of bracketry. I haven't yet seen a good mounting location for a Stebel Nautilus.

Just installed the stebel nautilus on my 12' 1k. Sounds great, and the kit mentioned above works perfectly.

2012 DL1000 Adv
Heated grips, Sargent seat, 12v acc outlet, 6 circuit (Fuzeblock) add on, EB H4 light relay, Altrider crash bars & Skid plate, K&N filter, PWD Fork brace, mirror extenders, GPS shelf, Stebel Nautilus horn; Rear wheel spacer mod; Vibranators (keeps my hands awake! and yes they do work), Delkevic Exhaust, 16:43 gears;
post #5 of 23 Old 04-26-2014, 09:51 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicdaddy View Post
Just installed the stebel nautilus on my 12' 1k. Sounds great, and the kit mentioned above works perfectly.
Thanks. I too have installed a Stebel Nautilus on my prior-year V-Strom and there doesn't seem to be as much space in the new cowling design to accommodate the same mounting options. Specifically within the cowl area, it's a lot tighter. So on the Vee2, and underbeak mounting option makes the most sense to me - it's where the stock puny horn is, it will be more audible there, with the downside that it will be more exposed to elements, which the Stebel and Wolo air horn designs don't deal with very well. So mounting two FIAMM or PIAA Hi/Lo horns there, with a relay of course, should work well if I can fashioned a suitable bracket to tuck them in sufficiently.

"Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even usually surpassing knowledge." - E.J. Potter

Last edited by Stoopy; 04-26-2014 at 09:54 AM.
post #6 of 23 Old 04-26-2014, 10:09 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I have a Stebel on my current bike and it is way loud and was pretty easy to install.
post #7 of 23 Old 04-26-2014, 11:00 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I use a Stebel horn and I like it, nice and loud.

But I just had a problem with it that I did not expect. This was all my fault but it caused the horn to fail to work when I needed it and this is something any high current horn setup could have.

When riding to work last week I hit the horn and nothing happened. When I got to work I checked out the fuse and connections and everything looked fine. Once I got home I got the volt meter out and started checking everything out. I found that the relay had failed after only a year, replacing it fixed the problem.

I thought this was odd, I have two other bikes with the same setup and they have worked for years without a problem. Investigating the relay I found that relay had corroded inside. The problem was the relay was not sealed and I had installed it upside down (with the pins up) allowing a way for water to seep into the relay from the bottom. The other bikes had the relay upright and that would allow any water to drain out.

The lesson is when installing electrical make parts sure they are not installed in a way that allows water can sit, it will eventually make its way into places it should not be.
post #8 of 23 Old 04-26-2014, 11:55 AM
Ex- moderator

Fiamm freeway blasters with the Eastern Beaver relay kit have been faultless and LOUD for almost 3 years...highly recommended.

Why Motorcycles? Because Golf, Soccer, Football and Baseball only require One Ball
post #9 of 23 Old 04-26-2014, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoopy View Post
Thanks. I too have installed a Stebel Nautilus on my prior-year V-Strom and there doesn't seem to be as much space in the new cowling design to accommodate the same mounting options. Specifically within the cowl area, it's a lot tighter. So on the Vee2, and underbeak mounting option makes the most sense to me - it's where the stock puny horn is, it will be more audible there, with the downside that it will be more exposed to elements, which the Stebel and Wolo air horn designs don't deal with very well. So mounting two FIAMM or PIAA Hi/Lo horns there, with a relay of course, should work well if I can fashioned a suitable bracket to tuck them in sufficiently.
Stoopy,
Specifically in regards to the Vee2, I agree with your assessment. Unless an aftermarket horn is offered, I will do as you suggested.i cannot believe a louder horn is that much more expensive that Suzuki cannot install a reasonably loud one in new cycles.
post #10 of 23 Old 04-26-2014, 01:11 PM
Stromthusiast!

Does anybody know if the Goldwing horns would work on the Glee? I know those will get your attention.

2013 DL650
You are never lost,
just temporarily misplaced.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode