Engine Vibration - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 04-21-2014, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Engine Vibration

Hi Guys
I have been looking at a Super Tenere or Vee2 for my next bike.
Today I went to a Suzuki dealer near me and they had a new Vee2, no demo and a used Super T with about6K klm on it. Dealership would not allow a ride on it either, even though I told the guy I was going for a test demo at another Yamaha dealer...btw I am 57 ...not a kid anymore.
Oh, well, I guess they didn't want my business.
In fairness, the salesman was no kid either...and quite a nice fellow...just dealership policy.
Anyway, enough with the rant.
I took the second ST out, a 2013 with 1700 klm on it.
Liked everything about the bike.
Tried T and S modes, both ok.
The problem was that unless the engine was at a steady rpm, it was VERY vibey under anything but very gentle acceleration.
How do you find the Vee2 under load?
I had a Wee and it was very smooth.
I understand that these engines are twice the size, but I was quite surprised at how rough the Ten was...and it did run well.
BTW, it is quite the stealth bomber, not really quick, but deceptively fast and once set up for a corner, can really hustle confidently.

Last edited by Toto; 04-21-2014 at 11:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 04-21-2014, 11:39 PM
Stromthusiast!

No Vibes on new V-Strom

Hey Toto, I just turned over 1200 miles on my new V-Strom. I can tell you what most of the others on the forum that have put some miles on their bike will confirm. It's an incredible machine at any price and will keep you grinning for a long time. As far as engine vibes, it is a large v-twin but produces both HP and torque very early in the rpm range with little or no vibes. I took mine out tonight for a spin after changing the oil and filter. Don't really notice any buzz or vibes until the 5-6K RPM range and even then very minor as you continue up the power band until 7K RPM. When traveling over the highway it is very relaxed and comfortable at high speed and when getting on in the mountains of Virginia it handles like a dream. Don't really need to set her up for turns, just point and shoot. Like others have said it goes through turns like it's on a rail and I haven't adjusted the suspension at all. Very easy to hang off in higher speed riding in turns and move around on the seat for your favorite spot. As far as speed goes the V-Strom is a sleeper. According to Cycle World I believe they posted a quarter mile time of just over 11 seconds. Not bad for a bike with a slipper clutch! If you shift gears at 6K rpms you will be illegal in second gear depending on the speed limit! Try 7K in second gear and you will have a new view of the horizon as the front end lifts with little effort! Not that I drive that way all the time but once broken in this bike is all about the "Grin Factor". Now just to let you know I'm not a young buck either at 59 but enjoy a good ride and Suzuki has produced a winner this time around. If you have any specific questions you can PM me.

Later

FastLane
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0638.jpg (97.8 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0647.jpg (97.8 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0644.jpg (97.2 KB, 36 views)

Last edited by FastLane; 04-21-2014 at 11:41 PM.
post #3 of 25 Old 04-21-2014, 11:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto View Post
Hi Guys
I have been looking at a Super Tenere or Vee2 for my next bike.
Today I went to a Suzuki dealer near me and they had a new Vee2, no demo and a used Super T with about6K klm on it. Dealership would not allow a ride on it either, even though I told the guy I was going for a test demo at another Yamaha dealer...btw I am 57 ...not a kid anymore.
Oh, well, I guess they didn't want my business.
In fairness, the salesman was no kid either...and quite a nice fellow...just dealership policy.
Anyway, enough with the rant.
I took the second ST out, a 2013 with 1700 klm on it.
Liked everything about the bike.
Tried T and S modes, both ok.
The problem was that unless the engine was at a steady rpm, it was VERY vibey under anything but very gentle acceleration.
How do you find the Vee2 under load?
I had a Wee and it was very smooth.
I understand that these engines are twice the size, but I was quite surprised at how rough the Ten was...and it did run well.
BTW, it is quite the stealth bomber, not really quick, but deceptively fast and once set up for a corner, can really hustle confidently.
We have been lucky in Australia, Suzuki Australia are really pushing the new 1000, and have encouraged most dealers to have a demo. In my local area alone I could go and take 3 demos within 1 hour of each other

I took a 1000 for a good long test ride recently, and loved the engine. I found it as smooth as, and pulled cleanly and smoothly. I did some roll on tests with my brother on his 650 and found no issues with vibes.

The 1000 is also very deceptively fast, same deal, set it up for a corner and it will pull very well, caught me by surprise a few times.

Check out my review and vids here:

V-STROM 1000 2014 TEST RIDE – FIRST RIDE WITH ZEDEX9R ONBOARD | A Pair of Stroms

post #4 of 25 Old 04-22-2014, 12:01 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastLane View Post
Hey Toto, I just turned over 1200 miles on my new V-Strom. I can tell you what most of the others on the forum that have put some miles on their bike will confirm. It's an incredible machine at any price and will keep you grinning for a long time. As far as engine vibes, it is a large v-twin but produces both HP and torque very early in the rpm range with little or no vibes. I took mine out tonight for a spin after changing the oil and filter. Don't really notice any buzz or vibes until the 5-6K RPM range and even then very minor as you continue up the power band until 7K RPM. When traveling over the highway it is very relaxed and comfortable at high speed and when getting on in the mountains of Virginia it handles like a dream. Don't really need to set her up for turns, just point and shoot. Like others have said it goes through turns like it's on a rail and I haven't adjusted the suspension at all. Very easy to hang off in higher speed riding in turns and move around on the seat for your favorite spot. As far as speed goes the V-Strom is a sleeper. According to Cycle World I believe they posted a quarter mile time of just over 11 seconds. Not bad for a bike with a slipper clutch! If you shift gears at 6K rpms you will be illegal in second gear depending on the speed limit! Try 7K in second gear and you will have a new view of the horizon as the front end lifts with little effort! Not that I drive that way all the time but once broken in this bike is all about the "Grin Factor". Now just to let you know I'm not a young buck either at 59 but enjoy a good ride and Suzuki has produced a winner this time around. If you have any specific questions you can PM me.

Later

FastLane
Pretty sure most sport bikes have a slipper clutch, I know that my old sport touring C14 did and it was a rocket. Keeps your rear wheel from hopping or even locking up on downshifts while scrubbing off some speed, especially before entering some twisty turns.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #5 of 25 Old 04-22-2014, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Thanx Lads

That's what I want to hear!
I have a 2009 CBF1000,bought new, old stock in 2011, a detuned fireblade engine with almost the same torque and hp as the new V...torque just a little higher up the band.
And, it has also been referred to as a "sleeper" by one professional reviewer.
Lots of huge get up and go for the real world.
Love the bike, but just a bit cramped for me...and it is not sold in the States, so a potential issue when I travel there.
I really must try to get a test drive on the Vee.
A dealer a couple hours from me mentioned he might keep a demo...must give him a call.
Make for a nice ride in my retirement.
Or...I could just buy the new Vee and put up the CBF for sale to please the wife...and price it too high to sell.....ya...that's the plan.:biggrinjester:

Dead man walking....:mrgreen:

P.S. There is a Youtube floating around showing a new Vee being caned in a crazy manner...looks like it goes like stink!
Really, the S10 was amazing, but the vibes were worse then any bike I have ever ridden by far...a shame really, more than sweet otherwise.

Last edited by Toto; 04-22-2014 at 12:35 AM.
post #6 of 25 Old 04-22-2014, 05:17 AM
Stromthusiast!

Toto. Try Brampton Pwersports or just go to Romney, WV next weekend with us. They will have one available.
post #7 of 25 Old 04-22-2014, 08:22 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick123 View Post
Toto. Try Brampton Pwersports or just go to Romney, WV next weekend with us. They will have one available.
Hi Rick

Brampton Powersports is where I went.
They do have a Suzuki demo ride May 11.
I will be out of town on a fishing/drinking trip.
I understand that they didn't want me to demo a new floor model, but when they wouldn't let me demo a used Super Ten I was a little put off.

Oakville Yamaha let me demo their ST about an hour later.
Real nice dealership and if I ever decide to get a FJR, they will have my business. Actually, an FJR was on my list, but ultimately they "Adventure" platform is more comfy for me and meets more of my riding needs.
They let me demo a used FJR last fall.
If they sold Zooks, I would purchase from them even if they were a little more then another dealer. The salesman, Cam, is a good fella.

BTW, I did purchase my Wee back in 2009 from Brampton Suzook without a test ride, but I felt uncomfortable doing it.
Will shop around.
BTW, enjoy WV.
A bud and I went to Deals Gap last July and had fun.
The Dragon was challenging and work...you really had to concentrate.
The surrounding roads were much more fun.
We are heading south again in July, if I survive said fishing trip.
Don't know how far south we will get.

Last edited by Toto; 04-22-2014 at 08:28 AM.
post #8 of 25 Old 04-22-2014, 09:11 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I have about 1100 miles on my Veek and can confirm that as far as engine vibration under heavy load and higher gears, you're going to get some typical V-twin hammering below 3,000 RPM and some chugginess from 3,000 to about 3,800 RPM. Pretty much all disappears after 4K, very sweet manners. I am quite happy with the engine characteristics and performance.

"Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even usually surpassing knowledge." - E.J. Potter
post #9 of 25 Old 04-22-2014, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Thanx Stoopy
As I said a demo ride is in order.
Is it SIGNIFICNTLY worse then the Wee.
BTW, I found the Wee to be quite smooth...but I am now addicted to big torque.
Don't mind some character, but the STen was hand numbing at anything more then light throttle.

Last edited by Toto; 04-22-2014 at 10:24 AM.
post #10 of 25 Old 04-22-2014, 01:01 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

I too have a new 2014 Vee2. I have the Khaki and love it. the power is way more than I expect. have you come across any hard cases or accessories yet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode